+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Feb 7, 2022
Hi there,
I am planning to visit india on 20 march , to get indian visa i have to surrender my indian passport and waiting time to get renunciation certificate is showing 8 weeks at bls Toronto .
1. Can i apply renunciation certification + visa on same day.
2.. is there any chance i can get my indian visa before 20 march .

Any lead would be appreciated . Thank you

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is following steps correct after oath ceremony?
  1. Wait for citizenship certificate
  2. Apply for Canadian passport
  3. Apply for surrendering Indian passport - Surrender certificate
  4. OCI or Visa
Does it take about 4 months to complete this full process after oath ceremony?
Correct . 4 months, if you are lucky with appointments else more

Reactions: UniqueCase

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,
I am planning to visit india on 20 march , to get indian visa i have to surrender my indian passport and waiting time to get renunciation certificate is showing 8 weeks at bls Toronto .

Yes, surrender + entry visa application can be submitted together

Reactions: Harpreet multani

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you print out the OCI application, your photo prints out as well on the image spot - did you paste your actual hard copy of your photo on the same photo image? Thanks
If they wanted you to "paste" your image, they would have given an empty box there. Just include 1 additional photo with your app.

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am applying for the OCI and was wondering what documents specifically are needed to prove I am of Indian origin. I was born in Ontario, but have a grandparents who are of Indian origin.
Others will be knowing better.
My two cents would be- you would need self-attested copy of indian passport of your grandparent and then a relationship proof of your parent (Birth certificate or passport) to show the relationship between Grandparent & Parent and then your birth certificate showing your relationship with your parent so that entire family tree is established.

immigrate2017

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
My names on canadian and Indian passports weren’t the same and I had to get a notarized statement for that. I also had to include my wife’s Indian passport copy.
Hi Vivadhi!

Just wondering if you had to provide your original Marriage certificate with your OCI application? Copy of wife's landing papers, if this scenario applies to you? Also, what checklist did you use? I have two of them (link below) and one doesn't ask for anything relating to spouse, but the other does a lot.
Would appreciate any help!

See here: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/Toronto-OCI-Checklist-Rev-8.0.pdf

https://blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/Checklist_and_Information_Booklet_for_OCI.pdf

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello All / @rajkamalmohanram - Couple of very quick questions:

1) The OCI documents that we upload online have to be the 'self attested' version? As in it must say “This is a true copy of the original” with sign and date? I know the hard copy that we are going to submit have to be self-attested for sure.
The online uploads as well?

2) I just realized that 'Unmarried' people have to submit a written declaration to the Consulate General of India, stating that they are single and that they have never been married. Is it just a simple word doc with the above words (saying that I am single) with sign and date?

3) The document upload list does not include items like oath certificate, proof of address etc. So no need to upload these? Just carry the hard copy in person?

Sincerely appreciate your guidance and help
1. I don't remember what I did for online copy uploads. May be check with someone who applied recently. I think I did not attest it for online uploads but I attested the photocopies that I provided to BLS but I am not sure.

2. Though this is mentioned, this isn't required. At least they did not take this document from me (I had it ready though).

3. I don't think you have to upload the ID or the citizenship certificate but carry a self attested copy of both of those documents when you go to BLS.

Reactions: canada_help

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hi there,

100% you can submit surrender and entry visa at the same time. Visa will arrive in 10-15 days for walkin application. Add 4-5 days for postal application.

Reactions: Harpreet multani

sach1234

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 September, 2014(Tuesday)
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER received: 09 January, 2015(Friday)
AOR Received.
03 Feb, 2015(Tuesday)
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
SLU: 28 April, 2015- Tuesday (Processing started on 23rd April, 2015-Thursday)
Med's Request
12 May, 2015(Tuesday)
Med's Done....
23 May, 2015(Saturday)
Interview........
TLU: 04th June, 2015(Thursday)
Passport Req..
18 June, 2015(Thursday); Passport submitted through VFS on 19 June, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Awaited; Decision made: 20 June, 2015(Saturday)
LANDED..........
Is there a timeline for the documents to arrive from Delhi to Ottawa ? This is regarding my OCI application.
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 24-JAN-2022
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHI On 25-JAN-2022
Document received At OTTAWA On

sach1234

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 September, 2014(Tuesday)
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER received: 09 January, 2015(Friday)
AOR Received.
03 Feb, 2015(Tuesday)
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
SLU: 28 April, 2015- Tuesday (Processing started on 23rd April, 2015-Thursday)
Med's Request
12 May, 2015(Tuesday)
Med's Done....
23 May, 2015(Saturday)
Interview........
TLU: 04th June, 2015(Thursday)
Passport Req..
18 June, 2015(Thursday); Passport submitted through VFS on 19 June, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Awaited; Decision made: 20 June, 2015(Saturday)
LANDED..........
Hi, I know it's really tough working with BLS, especially when you have to communicate when you have to communicate with them at a call center based in India.

I had applied for a Indian Paper Tourist Visa for my family members, by post in Ottawa. The same was received and acknowledged by BLS on 1 Feb. Apparently they lost our Demand Draft and I had to send a new draft by mail, which was delivered on a Friday, Feb4, 2022. Does anyone know what the approximate timeline is at this time when it comes to getting a tourist Visa to India ?

BLS agents doesn't have a proper answer to my question, they always say its upto 30 days, but would like to know if somebody has recently applied for a tourist Visa and what their timelines were.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Reactions: trv_237

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Looks like people who got everything completed just chilling not even bother to check here. I might get my OCI before response here. I tried checking some pages if someone had similar question randomly checking takes alot of time and didnt find my query. I might just wait for puralator delivery. Hope they might send text of delivery.

Feb 7, 2022
100% you can submit surrender and entry visa at the same time. Visa will arrive in 10-15 days for walkin application. Add 4-5 days for postal application.
Thank you for replying , so i can visit india after getting visa , no need to wait for surrendering certificate if it takes long time to come.

Reactions: VSw

116sg17

Jan 26, 2021
Looks like e-visa facility will be resumed soon for Canadian citizens...

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/canada-removes-india-specific-covid-19-testing-rules-for-travellers-101643347022405.html

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/feds-remove-special-travel-requirements-for-travellers-coming-from-india-morocco-1.5759031

The e-visa facility was stopped as a retaliatory move but since Canada has removed super inconvenient restrictions for passengers from India, I think e-visa will resume soon and many will be able to skip entry visa process for urgent travel.

This is a great news also because it will make travel from India to Canada affordable again.