+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

canada_help

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Hello All / @rajkamalmohanram - In the OCI Registration Page 1, under the 'Passport Details' section, which passport details do I need to mention? Canadian or Indian? The CGIToronto website has a link which shows 'step by step' process. In this PDF, it says 'Indian Passport' details need to be mentioned. But I saw on the BLS website, it says 'Canadian/Foreign passport' details need to be mentioned. Very confusing. Please advise.

Also, below this section we need to mention 'Previous Passport Number', will this be my surrendered Indian passport number?

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello All / @rajkamalmohanram - In the OCI Registration Page 1, under the 'Passport Details' section, which passport details do I need to mention? Canadian or Indian? The CGIToronto website has a link which shows 'step by step' process. In this PDF, it says 'Indian Passport' details need to be mentioned. But I saw on the BLS website, it says 'Canadian/Foreign passport' details need to be mentioned. Very confusing. Please advise.

Also, below this section we need to mention 'Previous Passport Number', will this be my surrendered Indian passport number?
As far as I can remember, for OCI, "Passport Number" means your Canadian passport number. Unless they specifically ask for "surrendered" or "Indian" passport number, you should enter your Canadian passport number IMO.

I did NOT fill out the "Previous Passport Number" I think they're asking for the "Previous Canadian passport number" there. Since this was my first passport, I left the field blank.

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
Hi,

Maybe a weird question, but is it possible to surrender Indian passort and apply for OCI card from within India?

canada_help

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
As far as I can remember, for OCI, "Passport Number" means your Canadian passport number. Unless they specifically ask for "surrendered" or "Indian" passport number, you should enter your Canadian passport number IMO.

I did NOT fill out the "Previous Passport Number" I think they're asking for the "Previous Canadian passport number" there. Since this was my first passport, I left the field blank.
Many thanks @rajkamalmohanram. Appreciate your guidance.
Given BLS folks tend to return applications very often (and its a hassle!), I just wanted to be sure that I put the right info in first shot.
Given your app is approved already, I'll also leave the Previous Passport field blank.
Thanks again!

One more question: I have an 8:20 am appointment for Brampton BLS. Should I go there early and stand in queue (in the cold!) or are they anyhow going to call out people appointment wise?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Many thanks @rajkamalmohanram. Appreciate your guidance.
Given BLS folks tend to return applications very often (and its a hassle!), I just wanted to be sure that I put the right info in first shot.
Given your app is approved already, I'll also leave the Previous Passport field blank.
Thanks again!

One more question: I have an 8:20 am appointment for Brampton BLS. Should I go there early and stand in queue (in the cold!) or are they anyhow going to call out people appointment wise?
If you have an appointment at 8:20, there is no need to be there early. You can reach there around 8:05 or so and you can go in.

Reactions: canada_help

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,

Maybe a weird question, but is it possible to surrender Indian passort and apply for OCI card from within India?
Actually, that can be done AFAIK (at least the surrender part). You'll have to deal with the FRRO office responsible for your jurisdiction where you stay in India. But it might take a long time and if you aren't planning a trip that is several months long, don't do it.

I personally haven't done this nor do I know anyone who has actually gone through this process in India but I know that there is a procedure to apply for surrender certificate in India. If you dig a little deeper, you might be able to find information on how to apply for OCI in India as well (IMO, this should be possible as well).

UKCanadian79

Feb 5, 2022
When you print out the OCI application, your photo prints out as well on the image spot - did you paste your actual hard copy of your photo on the same photo image? Thanks

jomaree

Feb 6, 2022
I am applying for the OCI and was wondering what documents specifically are needed to prove I am of Indian origin. I was born in Ontario, but have a grandparents who are of Indian origin.

canada_help

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Hello All / @rajkamalmohanram - Couple of very quick questions:

1) The OCI documents that we upload online have to be the 'self attested' version? As in it must say “This is a true copy of the original” with sign and date? I know the hard copy that we are going to submit have to be self-attested for sure.
The online uploads as well?

2) I just realized that 'Unmarried' people have to submit a written declaration to the Consulate General of India, stating that they are single and that they have never been married. Is it just a simple word doc with the above words (saying that I am single) with sign and date?

3) The document upload list does not include items like oath certificate, proof of address etc. So no need to upload these? Just carry the hard copy in person?

Sincerely appreciate your guidance and help

Last edited:

UniqueCase

Jul 10, 2018
Is following steps correct after oath ceremony?
  1. Wait for citizenship certificate
  2. Apply for Canadian passport
  3. Apply for surrendering Indian passport - Surrender certificate
  4. OCI or Visa
Does it take about 4 months to complete this full process after oath ceremony?

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hi guys,
I had submitted my application for entry visa on 25th Jan by post. It was received on 27th Jan. But till now I do not see any status update regarding my application here - https://www.blsindia-canada.com/trackapp.php . It always shows no records found. How much time is taken normally to view the status ?
While checking status make sure you are putting Canadian passport number and reference number for entry visa application. If you put Indian passport number you will get no records. If you are doing it right must be processing delay.