+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

imm01

Nov 21, 2021
someone should book an appointment just to mess up with Security guy and tell him to mind his business. That reminds me that vaccine certificate is not checked at BLS surrey. I should probably complain, I am so pissed of with BLS surrey that I want it to close.

What security guard does in SB office receptionist does in Surrey office. it seems her only job is to tell people that they need more printouts just to make money out of it. and If you dont let her do that she send probably some kind of message at counter. I have heard a few cases(including mine) that person at the counter told that application is incomplete even before looking at it.
Heights of extortion
Also, did you notice "debit card fee" when applying for surrender and OCI together? While they make a single debit transaction, they charge CAD 0.7 twice (once for each application). If you wish to pay by cash, they need "exact change". What the heck?

I hope there would be a class action lawsuit against BLS in the near future, and we all would receive compensation for unreasonable charges, harassment and extortion.

Reactions: Ryn_20

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
Hi there, I am thinking of sending my surrender application by mail, but I'm not using their pick up service. The bls site mentions that my postal order should include Renunciation fee/surrender fee + consular fee + BLS Service charges + Return courier fees. The total for the first three is 129.40, but how do I know how much the return courier fee would be?

jansh

Star Member
Feb 16, 2021
If one sends their surrender application by mail, is it possible to apply for Visa in person before receiving surrender certificate/cancelled passport back?
Since the Visa application is going to need some kind of proof that surrender application is at the very least in process, is any such proof available when surrender is applied by mail?

Tarun24

Dec 9, 2021
Hi all,
I have applied for surrender certificate in Toronto. Online it says that that certificate has been printed. How long do they take to send it back to me?

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hi all,
I have applied for surrender certificate in Toronto. Online it says that that certificate has been printed. How long do they take to send it back to me?
Hey there, someone might answer your question but can you tell me when did u apply and when it is updated to printed? Thank u kindly

imm01

Nov 21, 2021
Hi all,
For Toronto jurisdiction, it usually arrives within 3-5 days from this status

Reactions: Tarun24

ARMIST

Star Member
Sep 27, 2013
Hi Experts,
Are we allowed to go in person to BLS Brampton centre and pick up the OCI booklet once we get "Document received at TORONTO:" status in ociservices.gov.in site? if yes, do we need an appointment or can we walk-in?

kaminenis

Star Member
Sep 6, 2013
I have applied for surrender certificate In Toronto on 29-Nov(Appointment). Online Application status Changed yesterday.

Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance.

Last edited:

jansh

Star Member
Feb 16, 2021
I have applied for surrender certificate In Toronto on 29-Nov(Appointment). Online Application status Changed yesterday.

Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance.
When you were booking the appointment for surrender, what service type did you select on the appointment booking page?

kaminenis

Star Member
Sep 6, 2013
When you were booking the appointment for surrender, what service type did you select on the appointment booking page?
I booked an appointment before oath.
Based on my calculation I booked appointments and a Canada passport appointment before oath.

Oath Day --> 2 weeks --> Canada passport appointment -->2 weeks --> OCI appointment.

Everything went as planned except they took only the Passport surrender.

That time I have booked for OCI because they were accepting OCI +Surrender. But when I went for this appointment They took only the Surrender application. For Passport surrender, we need to take a passport appointment.

Reactions: jansh

Tarun24

Dec 9, 2021
Hey there, someone might answer your question but can you tell me when did u apply and when it is updated to printed? Thank u kindly
Hi there,
I have applied on 9th November,2021 and it went for processing on 13th November,2021. Status changed to printed today on 9th Decembe,2021

Tarun24

Dec 9, 2021
Hi all,
I had applied for my Indian passport surrender + OCI together. However, they accepted my surrender application but returned my OCI mentioning that I need to provide my spouse’s Indian passport proof.

The OCI application was on my behalf and my spouse is Canadian born. I had attached her Canadian passport plus OCI proof with my OCI file.
How can they ask for her Indian passport when she never held?

I have sent out multiple emails and even tweeted to bls but I am not getting response why they have done this. They are saying that they are looking into this matter and will respond back. It’s been a month now and still no answer.
How can I escalate it and how can take a legal action?
Thanks in advance

Tarun24

Dec 9, 2021
Hello, as per new checklist w.e.f Nov 21st, spouse passport etc no longer required, when you receive your surrender certificate, you can submit OCI application. Here's the checklist (Toronto)

You can write directly to the following email with some strong words

cg.toronto@mea.gov.in
eam@mea.gov.in
Thankyou
Yes I have applied before the guidelines have changed. They just wanted to make some money off with Purolator service I believe. But my question is how could they even ask for something which is not possible and it’s not like I had not provided proof of my spouse’s passport or OCI. So should I assume it was a clear mistake on their part and I can take a legal action against them.

imm01

Nov 21, 2021
Thankyou
Yes I have applied before the guidelines have changed. They just wanted to make some money off with Purolator service I believe. But my question is how could they even ask for something which is not possible and it’s not like I had not provided proof of my spouse’s passport or OCI. So should I assume it was a clear mistake on their part and I can take a legal action against them.
I believe it's not an honest mistake, they are instructed as such.

imm01

Nov 21, 2021
Hi all,
I had applied for my Indian passport surrender + OCI together. However, they accepted my surrender application but returned my OCI mentioning that I need to provide my spouse’s Indian passport proof.

The OCI application was on my behalf and my spouse is Canadian born. I had attached her Canadian passport plus OCI proof with my OCI file.
How can they ask for her Indian passport when she never held?

I have sent out multiple emails and even tweeted to bls but I am not getting response why they have done this. They are saying that they are looking into this matter and will respond back. It’s been a month now and still no answer.
How can I escalate it and how can take a legal action?
Thanks in advance
***Repost with one more email address***
Hello, as per new checklist w.e.f Nov 21st, spouse passport etc no longer required, when you receive your surrender certificate, you can submit OCI application. Here's the checklist (Toronto)

You can write directly to the following email with some strong words
cg.toronto@mea.gov.in
eam@mea.gov.in (Dr. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar)

You can also mark a copy to
SHRI T. ARMSTRONG CHANGSAN
Joint Secretary PSP(Passport Seva Programme) and CPO (Chief Passport Officer)
jscpo@mea.gov.in

Reactions: Tarun24