+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

ajtoronto

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
Toronto
Submitted my 'Surrender Certificate' package on Tuesday and got delivered on Wednesday.
How long does it take before I can see the status on the BLS website tracker? I ask because it says - no records found as of 9 AM ET (8 Dec 2021)

annapatram

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
Submitted my 'Surrender Certificate' package on Tuesday and got delivered on Wednesday.
How long does it take before I can see the status on the BLS website tracker? I ask because it says - no records found as of 9 AM ET (8 Dec 2021)
The record will show up next day on the receipt of package by BLS. however, BLS will open the package and forward it to CGI only after 8 business days.

annapatram

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
So I called up BLS Brampton to check if they have started taking OCI and surrender together. As per guideline from CGI, BLS said, only in Vancouver Jurisdiction submission of OCI and surrender is accepted together, not in Ottawa/Toronto Jurisdiction.

arav12345

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
e-Visa is suspended for all nationalities because of Covid-19. Also, India, for non-Covid reasons, removed Canada from the list of countries whose citizens can get e-visa. So, if you want to travel to India now and you don't have time to get OCI, you'll have to get an entry visa and currently, they are giving entry visas with 6 months validity (6 months from the date of issue of visa).
Do you know how long it takes for them to issue the VISA?

el02220

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
So I called up BLS Brampton to check if they have started taking OCI and surrender together. As per guideline from CGI, BLS said, only in Vancouver Jurisdiction submission of OCI and surrender is accepted together, not in Ottawa/Toronto Jurisdiction.
this sounds weird why are they making life difficult for People in Ottawa/Toronto

aminpayal17

Jun 19, 2014
I think BLS Surrey accepted el02220's application due to escalation to CGI (for not accepting married status just because spouse's name was not printed in PP). I checked BLS Vancouver's OCI checklist, surrender certificate is required for oci submission.

BTW, the requirement to have surrender certificate as prerequisite for applying OCI was set by CGI on Nov 17th (not BLS).
Surrender certificate is not required for OCI application at Vancouver jurisdiction. I have applied both togather, received surrender in 1 week and OCI just printed yesterday , did not received yet.
And yes they want to select unmarried if your spouse nave is not in Indian passport for surrender application however, in OCI application you have to declare your correct marital status.

imm01

Nov 21, 2021
Surrender certificate is not required for OCI application at Vancouver jurisdiction. I have applied both togather, received surrender in 1 week and OCI just printed yesterday , did not received yet.
And yes they want to select unmarried if your spouse nave is not in Indian passport for surrender application however, in OCI application you have to declare your correct marital status.
It seems processing time at Vancouver is faster than Toronto/ Brampton
@aminpayal17 Would it be possible to share the date of acknowledgement for your OCI application, just wanted to get an idea of the timelines at BLS Vancouver.

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
actually Vancouver BLS person are so nice that it does not feel that you are in BLS office. For all lower mainland residents ill suggest go to Vancouver office. its a long drive from some parts but totally worth it.
I went to scarborough the agents inside were very nice and helpful. Not rude and willing to help as per the rules and guidelines. Just the security did bit of drama for walkin people so that everyone will go with appt.

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thats so weird, how does same system have different rules based on location. Good part is some of us are getting benefited but thats so baised decision on their part. I wldnt raise it anywhere as atleast some of them are getting with less pain.

imm01

Nov 21, 2021
I went to scarborough the agents inside were very nice and helpful. Not rude and willing to help as per the rules and guidelines. Just the security did bit of drama for walkin people so that everyone will go with appt.
The security at Scarborough location (early morning/before noon shift) has a very negative attitude. I wanted to use the washroom, he declined saying it's closed. I then asked if walk-ins were allowed (one of my friends asked me to enquire), he showed the line on the other side of the road and said they hardly get a chance to enter. I also noticed another guy who has been pleading the security to enter, it seems he lost his passport and he has visited BLS for the third time, not sure what happened to him later that day.

The most ridiculous part is, when people are at the counter, security would come nearby and provide his suggestions. THAT IS NONE OF HIS BUSINESS!
There is no privacy, you can clearly hear what your fellow applicants are discussing, the plexi glass in front of the counters are 2 cm wide (seriously!), they have kept 2 rows of chairs in front, making it hard to communicate with the agent, you have no choice but to speak loud and let others hear your conversations. They look for your vaccine certificate but refuses to provide access to the washrooms. Had a completely different experience at Passport Canada office, everything was in order and well organized. At least, security would not come nearby to provide suggestions !

Last edited:

el02220

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
The security at Scarborough location (early morning/before noon shift) has a very negative attitude. I wanted to use the washroom, he declined saying it's closed. I then asked if walk-ins were allowed (one of my friend asked me to enquire), he showed the line on the other side of the road and said they hardly get a chance to enter. I also noticed another guy who has been pleading the security to enter, it seems he lost his passport and he has visited BLS for the third time, not sure what happened to him later that day.

The most ridiculous part is, when people are at the counter, security would come nearby and provide his suggestions. THAT IS NONE OF HIS BUSINESS!
There is no privacy, you can clearly hear what your fellow applicants are discussing, the plexi glass in front of the counters are 2 cm wide (seriously!), they have kept 2 rows of chairs in front, making it hard to communicate with the agent, you have no choice but to speak loud and let others hear your conversations. They look for your vaccine certificate but refuses to provide access to the washrooms. Had a completely different experience at Passport Canada office, everything was in order and well organized. At least, security would not come nearby to provide suggestions !
someone should book an appointment just to mess up with Security guy and tell him to mind his business. That reminds me that vaccine certificate is not checked at BLS surrey. I should probably complain, I am so pissed off with BLS surrey that I want it to close.

What security guard does in SB office receptionist does in Surrey office. it seems her only job is to tell people that they need more printouts just to make money out of it. and If you dont let her do that she send probably some kind of message at counter. I have heard a few cases(including mine) that person at the counter told that application is incomplete even before looking at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: imm01

el02220

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
dont do that, you never know 10-15 years down the line they can cancel the OCI/passport surrender based on stupid technicality and person who suggested to fill in single would wither not be there or deny it all together.

Anyways they should now accept surrender application with married selected even though its not update din Indian passport. I have email from BLS confirming that, if someone wants I can send a screenshot.