+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Robbssiee

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
India
LANDED..........
16-04-2015
My status got updated just today , still doesnt show document received at Ottawa , anyone knows how much time it takes to receive at home ( montreal ).

Date Of Acknowledgment29-OCT-2021
Registration Status at MissionOTTAWA
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn03-DEC-2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn06-DEC-2021
Document received AtOTTAWAOn

imm01

Nov 21, 2021
FYI: I went to BLS surrey, and I had married filled in my passport application. My passport did not had spouse name and they asked me to fill in single and submit (which I declined) and they refused to submit my application.

I came back and did an RTI and escalated it to BLS management and CGI Vancouver. 3 weeks later I received a note from BLS that I can go ahead an submit my application as is.

If someone else is in same boat let me know I can forward confirmation email from BLS.
This is another example of BLS creating rules out of thin air...If a person got married after the passport was issued, how can the spouse name be printed in it? Marriage certificate issued by a valid authority should have sufficed. This is nothing but monopoly and harassment. Good that you didn't accept whatever they said and challenged them!

@el02220
Can you please elaborate little bit on on the RTI part so that we are all aware and follow that avenue if necessary in the future?

csvinayak

Star Member
Jul 9, 2010
I just dit it on Dec 3rd
Amazing looks like the twitter, email and escalation to external affairs minister and consular general did the trick. Well i will not come to conclusion until we hear few more people telling that they are able to submit together ( oci and surrender application)

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
Amazing looks like the twitter, email and escalation to external affairs minister and consular general did the trick. Well i will not come to conclusion until we hear few more people telling that they are able to submit together ( oci and surrender application)
Wait, what did I miss? Did they change the rule again?

• Wow
Reactions: el02220

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Reactions: harryDunn

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
FYI, I went today and they said no for OCI submission along with Surrender.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Wow, that's amazing. I'm glad to hear they shenanigans they tried to pull was short lived.
This is great news. Finally someone saw the light. This change is just going to increase volume at BLS. Not sure if they have any operations folks at BLS- why would they want to increase what should be 1 visit into two. Unless it was a scheme to extract more fees from us in some way

In fact, people should apply for Surrender, OCI and Tourist visa together in case they have early travel plans and BLS should allow that in one visit.

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FYI, I went today and they said no for OCI submission along with Surrender.
You went to Toronto office right ?

Perhaps BLS Surrey allows it but BLS Toronto doesn't. It's possible. Each BLS centre has selected something unique so as to cause max. inconvenience to people.

imm01

Nov 21, 2021

Perhaps BLS Surrey allows it but BLS Toronto doesn't. It's possible. Each BLS centre has selected something unique so as to cause max. inconvenience to people.
I think BLS Surrey accepted el02220's application due to escalation to CGI (for not accepting married status just because spouse's name was not printed in PP). I checked BLS Vancouver's OCI checklist, surrender certificate is required for oci submission.

BTW, the requirement to have surrender certificate as prerequisite for applying OCI was set by CGI on Nov 17th (not BLS).

imm01

Nov 21, 2021
Anyone can update the processing time for passport surrender? Does it take 15bsd or 30?
For walk in applicant (Toronto jurisdiction), It takes slightly over 3 weeks (between 21 to 25 calendar days from date of submission)

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020

Yes I did go to Scarborough/Toronto office. As I was aware they stopped taking together I didnt took OCI application. People who came for OCI w/o surrender certificate they didnt took it. They were polite and good and advised some are taking unknowingly and applications are coming back. Not sure if they mean it or just saying to support their statement. God only know. I did entry visa and surrender same time.
Security gave some hardtime. He said no walkin only appointment and we all shall leave. Had a bit of argument as their website is spinning cant make appointment.
We said we arent going home talk to people inside. Then he said will let us in as website has glitch. Anyways I found people inside very nice cool and composed.