Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Ohh god 2 different people completely 2 different answers ??
This isn’t a small matter. Do your own research and not rely on this forum alone

Aaisha09

Apr 27, 2017
Hello! My daughter’s OCI says ready for collection. Can I walk into BLS and collect it or do I need schedule a drop off online ? We are traveling on December 8 and would really like to pick it up. Thank you in advance.

Aaisha09

Apr 27, 2017
I finally got the oci. My status changed to ‘Passport ready For Collection after OCI stamping’ ar 1:45 pm today. I rushed to BLS brmapton and collected it right away. The good for nothing call centre was still saying that my application is ‘processing at CGI’ and it might take 4-5 days more which was obviously incorrect. My flight was booked for tomorrow morning so getting the oci 12hrs bfr my flight came as a blessing for me.
Takeaway?
1. BLS call centre is full of clowns who do not always understand the current status
2. ‘ready for collection..’ means you can 100% get it from BLS.
3. CGI is a typical snob agency who will not pick up calls and will not reply to emails or twitter. For them, only a death in the family qualifies as an urgency. Their urgent appointment form literally has a placeholder to upload death certificate. These f$&@tards dont understand that it takes atleast a month to receive death certificate in India. Diplomats and grade B and C officers working at CGI are as good as the decade old BSNL employees who dont bother for responding to querries.

Factual details:
Date i sent the application to bls via courier: 07-OCT-2021
Received by BLS: 13-OCT-2021
BLS application date: 19-OCT-2021 (yes, they didnt do sh1t for 6 days.
Date Of Acknowledgment: 29-OCT-2021
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 24-NOV-2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 25-NOV-2021
Document received At TORONTO On 25-NOV-2021

Status on BLS website was always ‘Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping’

Status changed to ‘Passport ready For Collection after OCI stamping’: 26- NOV 2021 01:45 pm EST
Thanks @ajit90 for sharing his details with me. It helped me figure out my status. Really appreciate your responses man.
Helloo! Similar situation here - can we walk into BLS anytime to pick up the OCI? Also, is there a crazy line up for pick up as well just like there is for walk in submissions ? Thank youu in advance :)

Rizjin

Nov 18, 2021
This is great to hear. I hope mine vl update soon as no luck so far in my case. BlS sucks. I called them 4 times and all r giving me different answers which is very annoying. Kindly keep us updated if anything changes at ur end.
Bdw, was it postal or walk-in?? N which BLS did you submit application?
Submitted at BLS Brampton postal application sent on 29th October

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi once I get my Canadian citizenship certificate , Can I apply for Canada passport? but I can not travel to India with Indian passport ? or I can travel for 3 months ?? whats the process please guys help me thank you

@rajkamalmohanram had made a post here - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/page-285#post-9836015

I had made a post here : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-application.679369/post-9839977

in summary, you can go on indian passport and return back on indian passport - however -

It is a very very painful process. your entire vacation will go in figuring out how to get back to canada.

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is illegal to travel to India using your indian passport once you acquire Canadian passport. Also, how do you plan to return back to Canada ? You can't enter on one passport and exit on another easily. Please stop spreading misinformation

Please read the pages in this thread where this has been answered extensively. Long story short - no basically isn't possible without doing a bunch of work in India that will take 1-2 months or more (go to FRRO, get an exit permit, surrender Indian passport) @Dr kbknaidu

Read this post. Explains what you need to do in India to return back using Canadian passport https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/travel-to-india-after-oath-on-indian-passport.749934/post-9818937

Best option is to apply for a visa to visit india before you travel. Fastest option that is also safe without any headaches
while it is not illegal, you are correct, it is very very very painful. I think the link that you have referenced may be a post of mine ?

in summary :

The challenge comes down to this.

1. you enter india on a indian passport, they stamp the entry date on the indian passport.
2. when you leave india, they ask you for passport
a. you provide the indian passport (which has the entry stamp) and they ask you for your immigration/visa document of the country you go to - and you dont have any because they take away the PR card from you. Without a valid immigration/visa, the indian immigration will not let you through.
b. you provide the canadian passport, and the immigration officer will ask - where is your entry stamp - and you dont have any. If you present now the indian passport with the entry stamp, they will ask you the exit permit.

3. you cannot get an exit permit, if you are indian passport holder, so you have to surrender it first.
4. after surrender is complete, you can apply for stay visa (they also call it an entry visa i think) - because now that you have surrendered your indian passport, you are a "foreign" passport holder and you will need a permit to stay in india.
5. after your get your stay permit, you are now eligible for the exit permit.

imm01

Nov 21, 2021
Ohh god 2 different people completely 2 different answers ??
I concur with @lifein360

Here's what cgi website clearly says:

Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. The grace period is only for such cases where foreign citizenship has been acquired but a foreign passport is not available to the person. It is also mentioned that it is illegal to travel on an Indian passport, where a person has obtained a foreign passport.

Yen@5

Star Member
Aug 18, 2017
Submitted at BLS Brampton postal application sent on 29th October
It's similar to us then. I am not sure why BLS has taken this long to submit to CGI. One of our friends submitted on 25th Oct and got acknowledged on 11th Nov and we just did a week later, and it's still not acknowledged yet. It's been a month and still no process has started at CGI so definitely this is going to take more than 8 weeks. I am just praying that my application has not misplaced somewhere as m yet to get update on OCI website

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
while it is not illegal, you are correct, it is very very very painful. I think the link that you have referenced may be a post of mine ?

in summary :

The challenge comes down to this.

1. you enter india on a indian passport, they stamp the entry date on the indian passport.
2. when you leave india, they ask you for passport
a. you provide the indian passport (which has the entry stamp) and they ask you for your immigration/visa document of the country you go to - and you dont have any because they take away the PR card from you. Without a valid immigration/visa, the indian immigration will not let you through.
b. you provide the canadian passport, and the immigration officer will ask - where is your entry stamp - and you dont have any. If you present now the indian passport with the entry stamp, they will ask you the exit permit.

3. you cannot get an exit permit, if you are indian passport holder, so you have to surrender it first.
4. after surrender is complete, you can apply for stay visa (they also call it an entry visa i think) - because now that you have surrendered your indian passport, you are a "foreign" passport holder and you will need a permit to stay in india.
5. after your get your stay permit, you are now eligible for the exit permit.
I concur with @lifein360

Here's what cgi website clearly says:

Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. The grace period is only for such cases where foreign citizenship has been acquired but a foreign passport is not available to the person. It is also mentioned that it is illegal to travel on an Indian passport, where a person has obtained a foreign passport.
Thanks @cecapplied @imm01

This really needs to be pinned in bold at the top. With many getting oaths now and having travel plans for the holidays, everybody will be looking to understand how they can travel now that they are Canadian citizens. Someone somewhere on some whatsapp or facebook group tells them oh you can use Indian passport and that's all they think without thinking how they will get back and all the other ramifications. All the steps listed by @cecapplied here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-9845599 take a month or two to complete.

I am predicting many will end up using Indian passport to travel to India and then really realize how screwed they are once they land there..

Last edited:
Reactions: cecapplied

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram had made a post here - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/page-285#post-9836015

I had made a post here : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-application.679369/post-9839977

in summary, you can go on indian passport and return back on indian passport - however -

It is a very very painful process. your entire vacation will go in figuring out how to get back to canada.
Most of it is true... Except... You CANNOT come back with an Indian passport. You need a Canadian passport to come to Canada.

Reactions: cecapplied

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
Can I apply for a OCI from a country other than Canada? I might be heading to Europe on a long term visa, and I was wondering if I can finish my OCI process there instead of here. I believe VFS takes care of the OCI process in EU countries and they seems to be much more efficient than BLS.

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can I apply for a OCI from a country other than Canada? I might be heading to Europe on a long term visa, and I was wondering if I can finish my OCI process there instead of here. I believe VFS takes care of the OCI process in EU countries and they seems to be much more efficient than BLS.
You can. You need to be in the country that you are applying from in a valid status and a resident - other than a visitor.

I am using my personal experience to quote this, will have to do some research to cite links etc.

In my personal case, I applied for the OCI for my US born child - while in canada and it was approved and in place now.

I did have to furnish my residency status, address proof etc.

At the time of this process, my child was in canada on a dependant status and i was on a work visa - hence a lawful resident of canada at that time - and i had to provide documentation to supplement that.

BTW - which country in europe are you planning to apply from ? i might do some lookup

Reactions: lifein360

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
You can. You need to be in the country that you are applying from in a valid status and a resident - other than a visitor.

I am using my personal experience to quote this, will have to do some research to cite links etc.

In my personal case, I applied for the OCI for my US born child - while in canada and it was approved and in place now.

I did have to furnish my residency status, address proof etc.

At the time of this process, my child was in canada on a dependant status and i was on a work visa - hence a lawful resident of canada at that time - and i had to provide documentation to supplement that.

BTW - which country in europe are you planning to apply from ? i might do some lookup
Either Spain or Portugal. I'll be on a youth mobility visa though, so Im not sure if that's good enough for an OCI application. You are not considered a resident in those countries unless you live there for 6 months atleast.

Bc_1221

Mar 22, 2021
Hello Everyone,

can I apply for OCI and Surrender certificate together? How much time it takes my office will be Vancouver?