+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
1. Canadian first bio page only, Indian passport first and last bio pages only.
2. Scan 300 DPI, it should be within the 1MB, or use NitroPdf. Nitropdf has optimizing option to reduce size.
3. Employment letter is not required, double check with BLS. They told me a month ago, no employment required.
4. there are four document that are required to upload self attested with statement ""this is true ..." COPR, Indian Passport showing cancelled passport stamp, Canadian Passport and Marriage Certificate.

hope it helps!
For point number 4, instead of uploading self attested copies, the original documents can be uploaded as well right? And then include the self attested copies in the physical application?

sarat104

Star Member
Jan 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov, 2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
Feb, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May be June, 2012
Med's Request
December 2, 2013
Med's Done....
April 1, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2014
LANDED..........
July 15, 2014
I sent Postal Application to BLS and it was received last Tuesday (Nov 16). No updates in their system as of today. Is this something normal? or do I have to start assuming that my application is incomplete?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how I can track the status of my Passport Surrender Application on the BLS website? I don't see Passport Surrender in the drop down options on the tracking page.

I know it can be done through Passport Seva. However, I'm assuming the status will only be reflective on Passport Seva when the application is sent to the Indian High Commission. Is that the case? Or does BLS itself issue the surrender certificate and not send it to the Indian High Commission?

If so, is there a way to track what happens with the application once it reaches the BLS centre?
There are numerous posts in this thread that talk about this. My timeline in my signature should also give you a pretty good idea about the process flow.

Create application on PP Seva > Print Application > Submit application at BLS > BLS sends it to consulate > Consulate processes it > Consulate prints it > Consulate sends it to BLS > You either collect from BLS or BLS mails it to you.

• Wow
Reactions: stalker

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
There are numerous posts in this thread that talk about this. My timeline in my signature should also give you a pretty good idea about the process flow.

Create application on PP Seva > Print Application > Submit application at BLS > BLS sends it to consulate > Consulate processes it > Consulate prints it > Consulate sends it to BLS > You either collect from BLS or BLS mails it to you.
Okay, thank you. Is there a way to track the process flow on the BLS website? Like for an OCI application, in addition to the OCI website tracking, the BLS website also has an option to track it. Just like that is there a way the surrender application can be tracked on the BLS website as well?

yourr.grace

Star Member
Jul 25, 2017

"Consulate sends it to BLS > You either collect from BLS or BLS mails it to you." consulate sends it physically or it's an email thing? any idea? Pardon the ignorance here but I am counting on this status to get my daughter's OCI.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
"Consulate sends it to BLS > You either collect from BLS or BLS mails it to you." consulate sends it physically or it's an email thing? any idea? Pardon the ignorance here but I am counting on this status to get my daughter's OCI.
OCI and surrender certificate are both physical documents.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Okay, thank you. Is there a way to track the process flow on the BLS website? Like for an OCI application, in addition to the OCI website tracking, the BLS website also has an option to track it. Just like that is there a way the surrender application can be tracked on the BLS website as well?
1. Google "BLS Tracking"
2. Open first link
3. Choose Walk-in or postal
4. Choose "Passport Application" as application type
5. Enter other details
6. Enter CAPTCHA
7. Click on Track Application

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Hi, I know this been asked numerous times but I cant find a fix answer and there is lack of information about this. Everyone has different opinion and experience about this.
Can we travel with the Indian passport if we are under 3 month citizenship grant period?
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/surrender-certificate/

yes you can travel. The rule says "Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. The grace period is only for such cases where foreign citizenship has been acquired but a foreign passport is not available to the person ".
But please note If you're outside Canada and don't have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi, I know this been asked numerous times but I cant find a fix answer and there is lack of information about this. Everyone has different opinion and experience about this.
Can we travel with the Indian passport if we are under 3 month citizenship grant period?
Yes but there are good reasons not to.

1. You can only use this option if you haven't got your Canadian passport yet. If you get your Canadian passport and then use your Indian passport, you'll have to pay the penalty even if the trip was within 3 months of getting citizenship AFAIK.

2. You need a Canadian passport to get back to Canada. You are not even eligible for special authorization since Indian passport doesn't provide visa free entry into Canada.

3. Even if you plan to apply for Canadian passport in India (and you need the citizenship certificate to do this), you can't use that to fly back to Canada from India because you need an exit visa to exit the country on a different passport from the one you entered with. You cannot get an exit visa unless you surrender your Indian passport.

All this will take a lot of time. Unless you are planning to stay in India for a minimum of 2 - 3 months or more, don't use this option.

4. You will have to go through a risky journey of booking a separate ticket from India to Dubai and another ticket for Dubai to Canada. Depending on your situation, you might need a visa to enter Dubai on your Indian passport. When you land in Dubai, you show your Canadian passport on entry and get visa free entry and then board your flight from Dubai to Canada. Very complicated and risky. Doing this is NOT recommended.

So, unless it is an absolute emergency, postpone whatever trip you have, apply for a Canadian passport, surrender your Indian passport and apply for either OCI or entry visa and then visit India.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: UrbanNomad

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/surrender-certificate/

yes you can travel. The rule says "Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. The grace period is only for such cases where foreign citizenship has been acquired but a foreign passport is not available to the person ".
But please note If you're outside Canada and don't have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
Canadian citizens cannot get a PRTD. You need a Canadian passport or a special authorization to enter Canada and people with Indian passports are NOT eligible for special authorization.

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Canadian citizens cannot get a PRTD. You need a Canadian passport or a special authorization to enter Canada and people with Indian passports are NOT eligible for special authorization.
Then who can get? If Canadian citizens cant get and India passport holder cannot get, then who? I doubt this version. I will suggest you to call CBSA
call center and ask for their advice.

• Haha
Reactions: Jakev

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Then who can get? If Canadian citizens cant get and India passport holder cannot get, then who? I doubt this version. I will suggest you to call CIC call center and ask for their advice.
Nope.

PRTD is Permanent Resident Travel Document. It is evident from the name that PRTD is for Permanent Residents of Canada. Permanent Residents of Canada who are currently outside Canada AND do not have their PR card can apply for a PRTD.

I don't have to stay this but still... Once you are a Canadian citizen, you are NO LONGER a permanent resident.

Once again... Canadian Citizens are NOT Permanent Residents. Canadian citizens are.... well, citizens. They need a Canadian passport or a special authorization to enter Canada. Special authorization is NOT the same as PRTD.

A simple google search lead me to this page. And it is crystal clear from the information from that page that Canadian citizens CANNOT and MUST NOT apply for a PRTD.

Who should not apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document?
As you can see, the very first option under "Who should not apply for PRTD" is Canadian citizens.

PS: I never said Indian passport holders cannot get PRTD. I said Indian passport holders cannot get "Special Authorization". Once again, at the risk of repeating myself, Special authorization is NOT the same as PRTD. Look up special authorization and you'll know what it is. Indian passport holders who are Permanent Residents of Canada (and NOT Canadian citizens) can apply for PRTD.

Last edited:

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
People keep thinking "Oh I can use Indian passport for 3 more months after getting citizenship" but totally forget the issue of how they will return back to Canada with no documents as your PR card will be gone. Two scenarios

1. If you do NOT get a Canadian passport, you may potentially travel to India with your Indian passport and citizenship certificate and apply for your first passport there, although not sure timelines to get a passport in India - especially the first one. Also the issue of entering on 1 passport and exiting with another is a no-no

2. If you do get a Canadian passport, then you need to surrender Indian passport COMPULSORILY and get an Indian entry visa before you fly. You cannot enter India with one passport and exit with another.

Reactions: sharadsinha