+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
When I applied, I went at 6 AM and I was first in line (technically second because there was someone waiting in his car already). Offered the person to go in first but he declined and so, I went in first. It is getting busy now a days.
OCI application process is clumsy and confusing. Else postal application should have been a better option. The line at Service Canada is long so I opted to postal application for Canadian passport. Its just one form and its done.

Robbssiee

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
India
LANDED..........
16-04-2015
Hi Guys, if anyone can help clarify a question i have.

I applied for the OCI ( from Montreal, Qc) , at the Ottawa mission, the application was received at BLS on 26th October , and the originals ( indian and canadian passport among other originals ) were sent back with the application number around 10 days go ( 5th November ) ( which was the same application number generated while submitting the OCI application online ).

Now when i check the application status on BLS website :

Application StatusDispatched via Courier
Dispatched via Courier

And on OCI service status :

Date Of Acknowledgment29-OCT-2021
Registration Status at MissionOTTAWA
OCI Application StatusUNDER-PROCESS

My question is which of these status updates is i am supposed to check to see the processed or printed or dispatched ?

Should i be checking BLS or ociservices, the confusing part is , even though the file shows under process on Oci services, under BLS it shows dispatched via courier, makes no sense to me.

If someone could please spare some time and explain, that would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

stalker

Sep 20, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01/10/2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
02/10/2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
03/03/2017
VISA ISSUED...
March 2017
LANDED..........
July 2017
Anyone here have different name on Indian passport and in OCI?

I have a suffix in my name which I want to get rid of. Not sure if that would affect OCI application.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi Guys, if anyone can help clarify a question i have.

I applied for the OCI ( from Montreal, Qc) , at the Ottawa mission, the application was received at BLS on 26th October , and the originals ( indian and canadian passport among other originals ) were sent back with the application number around 10 days go ( 5th November ) ( which was the same application number generated while submitting the OCI application online ).

Now when i check the application status on BLS website :

Application StatusDispatched via Courier
Dispatched via Courier

And on OCI service status :

Date Of Acknowledgment29-OCT-2021
Registration Status at MissionOTTAWA
OCI Application StatusUNDER-PROCESS

My question is which of these status updates is i am supposed to check to see the processed or printed or dispatched ?

Should i be checking BLS or ociservices, the confusing part is , even though the file shows under process on Oci services, under BLS it shows dispatched via courier, makes no sense to me.

If someone could please spare some time and explain, that would be really appreciated.
They probably created a file for you and are waiting for you to send them back the correct/complete documentation again so that they can process it.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
OCI application process is clumsy and confusing. Else postal application should have been a better option. The line at Service Canada is long so I opted to postal application for Canadian passport. Its just one form and its done.
I didn't wanna do any of that. If I'm there submitting in person, even if I miss something, I can ask them EXACTLY what it is I missed and what they're expecting. So, decided to go in person and I walked out pretty fast(sometime around 8:30 AM I think, they open at 8 AM, I went in at 8:10 AM).

Robbssiee

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
India
LANDED..........
16-04-2015
They probably created a file for you and are waiting for you to send them back the correct/complete documentation again so that they can process it.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, the issue, is in the originals they sent back, there has been no instructions if anything has to be resent , it just includes the original passports and a small sheet with the application number as though it has been accepted , and after the originals were received , i am able to see the Ociservices status update as under process.

so at this point i dont know whats going on, i have no instructions from BLS to resend or fix anything, but my question still remains , is it the BLS status i have to check or the Ociservices website status ?

anyone else has an idea ?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, the issue, is in the originals they sent back, there has been no instructions if anything has to be resent , it just includes the original passports and a small sheet with the application number as though it has been accepted , and after the originals were received , i am able to see the Ociservices status update as under process.

so at this point i dont know whats going on, i have no instructions from BLS to resend or fix anything, but my question still remains , is it the BLS status i have to check or the Ociservices website status ?

anyone else has an idea ?
Wait a second... I think they simply returned the original documents then.

When you say original passports, were they Indian passports or Canadian ones? Did you submit your original Canadian passport with the application?

If they returned your Indian passports, were they cancelled (you'll see 2 punch holes in the passport, a stamp that says "Cancelled on account of holder voluntarily acquiring foreign citizenship and a surrender letter pinned to the last page of the passport).

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
1) It was good experience. Walk-in. Went @ 5 AM. Already 3rd in Line.
2) Applied both surrender and oci.
3) Got into office by 8:45 AM.
4) They took Original IND passport and original COPR for oci.
5) $345 draft for oci.
6) All other fees, debit card is fine.
holy hell,. Reminds of the good old days of applying for my first passport in India along with my Dad in Hyd. The lineup started from 6AM and at least three blocks with street vendors, chaiwallahs etc., You can imagine the wait without the chai here. :) I think the Indian government derives some sort of demonic pleasure with its bureaucracy to its people. At least now its a good thing, we will not have to deal with them ever after..

Thanks for your help canvisa13

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
I didn't wanna do any of that. If I'm there submitting in person, even if I miss something, I can ask them EXACTLY what it is I missed and what they're expecting. So, decided to go in person and I walked out pretty fast(sometime around 8:30 AM I think, they open at 8 AM, I went in at 8:10 AM).
yes that's the reason. You may miss something as the process and instructions are confusing. even BLS Toronto and Brampton has separate rules. People are not confident in sending the application via post and prefer to stand in line for 3-4 hours instead.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
OCI tracking site is down. I tried in the morning and it was then as well

mili_0923

Oct 26, 2021
Hello guys,
I have a little worry here.. I have applied OCI with my family. My parents & mine has been dispatch from NEW DELHI but my sister is still showing Under Process. We have applied all together. Is that normal? What should we do?

Nov 2, 2020
Hi there,
I need to apply OCI for new born. Can you please guide me as instruction are not clear to me.
1. Self attested docs needs to be uploaded on website. So baby passport copy needs to be attested by baby thumb impressions or parent can attest ?
2. For postal application, do we need to send any original documents?
1. Upload birth Ontario long form certificate showing both parents name attested by both parents.
2. upload the child passport attested by both parents.
3. upload the COPR attested individually.
4. upload marriage certificate attested by both parents.
5. upload both parents surrendered Indian passport attested individually.

Mail following documents to BLS:
1. uploaded documents.
2. address proof of both parents attested individually.
3. citizenship certificate attested individually.
4. Parents Canadian passport attested individually.
5. Two cheques payable to CGI and bls
6. No objection certificate with both parents picture pasted on the form.
7. One child physical passport size picture.
8. Printed OCI registration form with both parents signature in the very bottom and Child thumb impression just above where it says applicant signature.
9. BLS checklist, signed on every page.

Hope it helps, please verify with the BLS checklist.

No originals required by mail.

stalker

Sep 20, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01/10/2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
02/10/2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
03/03/2017
VISA ISSUED...
March 2017
LANDED..........
July 2017
Anyone here have different name on Indian passport and in OCI?

I have a suffix in my name which I want to get rid of. Not sure if that would affect OCI application.
anyone?