+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Cancelling Indian passport is around $160 including courier charges (still a ridiculously high fee I have to say to just stamp cancel)

In total, expect to pay around $550 total for OCI + surrender if you choose the courier delivery route.
you are lucky. Earlier it was CAD 200 and one point increased up to 250 CAD. Now it has been reduced.

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Hi Everyone,
I have submitted my daughters OCI on Sep 2nd by walking in BLS - Toronto and I have tickets booked for 23rd October
Date of Acknowledgement on CGI website : 16th September
One question that is making me really nervous is when I provided the physical pictures along with my application they did not take it. I just called BLS call center and they mentioned I shouldn't worry as they only accept applications if they are accurate and good. Please let me know if anyone had similar issue.
Thank you for your help
I don't think that may be a problem. Going by the current timeframe. You should receive the OCI by 18th October I believe. Its close to your travel date.

sasha0007

Jul 9, 2021
How soon after we see the OCI application processed and received on the oci status website do we see an update on the bls tracking? I got my OCI number and processed status on oci status website yesterday but bls website is still stuck on original documents dispatched via purolator.

amarecharla

Oct 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
Hi Guys, Sorry I am posting my question here instead of starting a new thread.
I have a Canadian-born child, when I went to submit her OCI application today at Brampton, they asked to get her Birth Certificate attested. (If the birth certificate is issued by the Canadian government, it is required to be attested by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs/government services (222 Jarvis Street, Toronto) and thereafter from the Consulate of India, Toronto. --------taken from CGI website)
When I called the Ministry of Consumer Affairs/government services, they replied saying they do not authenticate the polymer birth certificates we get. They need a long birth certificate, when I searched about 'long birth certificates' they have parent's names on it, but that is exactly what we have on the polymer one.

Has anyone had any experience regarding this?? Please let me know.

gumparla

Jan 26, 2017
How soon after we see the OCI application processed and received on the oci status website do we see an update on the bls tracking? I got my OCI number and processed status on oci status website yesterday but bls website is still stuck on original documents dispatched via purolator.
When did you submit the application?

JackJaiswal

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
Based on my experience, you should send your sons original passport and Date of birth certificate, no need for physical thumbprint. The money order usually from Canada post gets trimmed at the end. Not too sure if the trim you have done is the same
Thank you for responding. I called BLS and they specifically mentioned no original documents is required if the Parents have Indian Passport.

JackJaiswal

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
Hi Guys, Sorry I am posting my question here instead of starting a new thread.
I have a Canadian-born child, when I went to submit her OCI application today at Brampton, they asked to get her Birth Certificate attested. (If the birth certificate is issued by the Canadian government, it is required to be attested by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs/government services (222 Jarvis Street, Toronto) and thereafter from the Consulate of India, Toronto. --------taken from CGI website)
When I called the Ministry of Consumer Affairs/government services, they replied saying they do not authenticate the polymer birth certificates we get. They need a long birth certificate, when I searched about 'long birth certificates' they have parent's names on it, but that is exactly what we have on the polymer one.

Has anyone had any experience regarding this?? Please let me know.
I believe Long Form of Birth Certificate comes with a Stamp and certified by Deputy Registrar General with Parents Name Date of Birth of each parent and Place of birth as well which is missing on the polymer one . It has only name and rest information is not there. Hope this answers to your query.

gumparla

Jan 26, 2017
Timeline for my baby's OCI:

Application Submitted - 25-Aug-2021 (Walk-in at BLS Toronto)
Original Doc Returned - 09-Sep-2021 (Birth Certificate)
Original Doc Received - 10-Sep-2021
OCI Document Printed - 29-Sep-2021
OCI Doc Sent - 01-OCT-2021
OCI Doc Received - 04-OCT-2021

Total Duration - 40 Days(Appx. 6 weeks)
When you applied did the take the physical photo of your newborn, coz they didn't take mine and I am worried ?

gumparla

Jan 26, 2017
Hello Guys,

I got my application back due to Photo not having a white background, I called the call centre they said send the same application back with new 105$ for Purolator, I said I used only 1 send and 1 return, They are saying mail some CCbls international and we will try to return your money.

BLS INTERNATIONAL IS A SCAM, PLEASE BE CAREFULL.. THEY are returning application due to PHOTO AND ASKING ME TO SEND THE SAME APPLICATION BACK with SAME PHOTO and PAY 105 $ for NEW PACKAGE.

BLS INTERNATIONAL IS A SCAM

PLS BE CAREFUL THEY ARE PITCHING "PEOPLE WILL LOOSE YOUR DOCUMENTS IF YOU USE ANY OTHER SERVICE OTHER THAN PUROLATOR". I HOPE THIS WILL HELP SOMEONE

SO THEY ARE RETURNING 50 percent of APPLICATIONS , ie 250 application Daily If we calculate the commission it's 5 dollars each application 5*250 = 1250$ * 20(Monthly) = 25000$.

PLEASE BOOK PUROLATOR YOURSELF to L6X 4X7 it's cheaper by 10$ so 30 $ for 3 packages.
May I ask at what stage it got returned

ajit90

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-04-2015
AOR Received.
29-05-2015
Med's Done....
passed -10.06.2015
Thanks Maddy.
Getting it authenticated from ODS is straightforward process. But getting attestation from CGI is a pain as they have suspended in person attestation service and they are asking to send originals along with the fee in demend draft with application and return envelope. After all this they will attest the marriage certificate (which is issued by service canadaand authenticated by ODS) back to us. I dont even understan what is the whole point of all this run around.
I Was going through checklist of HCI Ottawa jurisdiction and they don't have this requirement in the checklist unless you are applying OCI on the basis of your spouse. The same is the case with me . I think i am gonna take a chance and submit self attested copy

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hmmm most applicants here who have posted their details have almost the same timeline for OCI. The statuses change to Processed -> Dispatched from MEA OCI (New Delhi) -> Document Received at Toronto around the 5 week mark from the date of submission OR 3 week mark from when the application status live on the OCI website (Acknowledgement date). Hasn't happened yet for me. Hoping to see a change before Friday this week and if that happens, the document will be shipped and received by next week.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Also, I just noticed on my OCI application form that I had left the "Previous Nationality of applicant" field empty. It shows NA on the application form.

Did you guys fill this field out and mention Indian citizenship for this field? It is #12 on the application. Could you guys please check your application form and let me know?

AKS@1987

Star Member
Nov 4, 2016
Also, I just noticed on my OCI application form that I had left the "Previous Nationality of applicant" field empty. It shows NA on the application form.

Did you guys fill this field out and mention Indian citizenship for this field? It is #12 on the application. Could you guys please check your application form and let me know?
I have given Previous Nationality as India along with passport no#

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017

I put in as India with my current indian passport number