+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

newbei

Dec 17, 2020
When I applied in Dec 2020, BLS said they aren’t doing any kind of Oci stamping on passport. We will simply get the OCI card which will have passport number on it by mail.
https://boi.gov.in/content/overseas-citizen-india-oci-cardholder
  1. Government of India has decided to dispense with the "U" Visa sticker on the foreign passport of OCI card holders with immediate effect. Accordingly, Immigration authorities shall not insist on production of foreign passport containing the "U" Visa sticker in the case of OCI card holders while they enter/exit India. OCI card holders shall now be given Immigration clearance on the strength of their valid forign passport and OCI Registration Certificate (OCI booklet, popularly known as OCI card)

mrangwala

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
LANDED..........
01-05-2019
I submitted my application on Friday 01/15/2021 to Toronto Jurisdiction. My answers are below assuming you both have PR. You can also call BLS. If the tone is busy, keep calling until it connects as it does sometimes after 50 tries.

Hello Friends,

I am planning to apply OCI for my daughter (2 years old) born in Toronto, Canada.
I see that BLS Toronto is closed due to lockdown and postal application is the only option.

Could someone recently applied please let me know the document requirements. I and my wife are Indian Passport holders. Jurisdiction is Toronto. Checklist and the process mentioned in OCI website is too confusing.

What are the photocopies to be sent through post?
Ans: Self-attested copies of all the documents uploaded

What are the originals to be sent through post?
Ans: No originals to be sent through post to Toronto. You only have to send Application Form Printout along with self attested, sign and date photocopies of documents uploaded on portal, address proof copy, and Parent's PR Card copy. The BLS agent told me that "only you should self attest your own documents (your passport/landing paper/PR/Address proof) and both spouses should self attest shared documents - baby's documents and marriage certificate", so I did the same.. In addition you have to include No Objection Certificate. Plus you have to send same photo of baby as uploaded on the portal. Do not stick the baby photo on the form, but send it as part of the application. On the NOC, stick both your wife and your photo.

What needs to be done online?
Ans: Part A and Part B. Uploading required documents

What documents need to be uploaded online?
Ans: Once you complete Part A, you will need to upload photo of Baby and his left thumb print, then complete part B and then you will get a list of documents to upload. The documents that you need to upload for a minor's application given in the checklist is accurate. These are: baby passport, baby birth certificate with parents names included, parents' passports, parents' landing papers, and parents' marriage certificate. You have to self-attest, sign and date these documents and send along with the application, along with other documents as mentioned in my response above (marked in red).

Many many thanks in anticipation for answers from experts.
In addition to above, you will need a left thumb print of baby on page 3 of the application form printout as part of declaration under "signature of applicant". Below that where requested, both parents have to sign.

Reactions: muba

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I submitted my application on Friday 01/15/2021 to Toronto Jurisdiction. My answers are below assuming you both have PR. You can also call BLS. If the tone is busy, keep calling until it connects as it does sometimes after 50 tries.

In addition to above, you will need a left thumb print of baby on page 3 of the application form printout as part of declaration under "signature of applicant". Below that where requested, both parents have to sign.
Many thanks mrangwala...appreciate your time and effort in answering my questions! This is very clear... first I will go and take baby’s passport photo before I start part A and B, meanwhile I will also start collecting docs... Thanks again!

mrangwala

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
LANDED..........
01-05-2019
Many thanks mrangwala...appreciate your time and effort in answering my questions! This is very clear... first I will go and take baby’s passport photo before I start part A and B, meanwhile I will also start collecting docs... Thanks again!
OCI photo requirement is different than passport. Please review the requirement before. Also just remember to take a digital copy of the photo as well to upload. All the best.

newbei

Dec 17, 2020
OCI Timeline:

Applied on 7 Dec 2020 (BLS Walkin)
Application acknowledged on 11 Dec 2020 at High Commission.
Original Received on 16 Dec 2020 by Purolator.
OCI Printed on 15 Jan 2021 at Delhi.
OCI Dispatched on 16 Jan 2021 from Delhi
OCI received on 21 Jan 2021.

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
OCI photo requirement is different than passport. Please review the requirement before. Also just remember to take a digital copy of the photo as well to upload. All the best.
Thanks mrangwala. Good that you reminded me to get the digital copy as well. Also I have another question on the fee. Could you please let me know how many bank drafts should I take and for what amount? I am planning to take pick up and drop service through Purolator.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Hi,

I am posting this so that it might be helpful for someone applying OCI & Surrender together through postal application.

Submitting my application to Toronto-Brampton center.

1. I called BLS yesterday (416) 307-2237 and the representative said NO originals except Indian passport for surrender. I tried like 50 times to get on the line and talk to a rep.

2. For the postal charges, I used BLS-Purolator online link to schedule a pick and drop off. I had initially paid 80$ for OCI and 50$ as there is no way to send OCI and surrender in one package when you go via online link.
But the representative on the phone refunded the amount that I paid and charged $30 for pickup (you can send both OCI and Surrender documents in one package) and $30 for Surrendered passport drop-off and $30 for OCI. So total $90 for postal charges.
When we are on a call the rep will send payment links to you email and you can navigate through that and use your credit card to pay the amount.

3. After the payment, I received the shipping label for the pickup immediately in an email. This should be printed out and pasted on the envelope.

4. I called Purolator and scheduled a pickup window. While scheduling just mention you need and envelope if you don't have one.
Thanks so much for your detailed post. Can you tell me about the fees you paid for OCI and Surrender?
Was it a bank draft addressed to BLS for $250.4 for surrender? And a bank draft addressed to consulate general of Toronto for 425 + 7.5 for OCI?
Thank you!

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
For applications sent by purolator, how long does BLS take to acknowledge receipt and for the application to show on the BLS website for tracking progress? I sent my application on Friday and it was delivered Monday 01/18/2021. when will i be able to see file on bls website.
Hi. When you sent your applications by Purolator, did you include the return labels for your surrendered passport and OCI in the package itself?

mrangwala

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
LANDED..........
01-05-2019
Hi. When you sent your applications by Purolator, did you include the return labels for your surrendered passport and OCI in the package itself?
I applied for my minor son born in Canada. Not for my wife and I. So there weren't any surrendered passports to be sent.

Purolator takes care of return labels. Only label BLS sent me after payment was the shipping label for the application package going out.

Last edited:

mrangwala

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
LANDED..........
01-05-2019
Thanks mrangwala. Good that you reminded me to get the digital copy as well. Also I have another question on the fee. Could you please let me know how many bank drafts should I take and for what amount? I am planning to take pick up and drop service through Purolator.
Two bank drafts for Toronto Jurisdiction. One for $425 to ""The Consulate General of India - Toronto" (For Toronto Jurisdiction)" and another for $7.40 to "BLS International Services Canada Inc". Please review the "fees section" for "postal applications" on BLS Toronto website - https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php

I paid Purolator courier fees for pickup and dropoff ($30 x 2 = $60) by calling BLS. The agent took my application details over the phone, sent me payment links in email and once I paid, sent me Purolator shipping label. This way, it was one less thing for me to figure out through their website. Please keep in mind the agent did not tell me date and time of pickup and I assumed I had to call Purolator to book a pickup. But when I called Purolator they told me the pick up was scheduled for the next day. Fortunately, my package was ready so I had no issue with the date and time arranged for me by the agent. But when you make the payment, ask the agent to let you know the date and time of pickup so you can be ready by then. My incompetent agent did not give me the option to choose the date and time of my pickup, but I am confident they should have that option, so do check when you call.

vik302

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2014
Doc's Request.
25 feb
AOR Received.
06 jan 15
Med's Request
01-03-2016
Med's Done....
09-03-2016
Interview........
Rprf req 03 march 2016
Passport Req..
24-03-2016
I applied oci 22 december2020
My status shows passport ready after stamping but i have already opted for pickup and delevery service ..can anybody please explain status meaning??

Thanks

vik302

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2014
Doc's Request.
25 feb
AOR Received.
06 jan 15
Med's Request
01-03-2016
Med's Done....
09-03-2016
Interview........
Rprf req 03 march 2016
Passport Req..
24-03-2016
I applied oci 22 december2020
My status shows passport ready after stamping but i have already opted for pickup and delevery service ..can anybody please explain status meaning??

Thanks

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
I applied for my minor son born in Canada. Not for my wife and I. So there weren't any surrendered passports to be sent.

Purolator takes care of return labels. Only label BLS sent me after payment was the shipping label for the application package going out.
Thanks for your response!
When you applied for the OCI for your son did you have to upload copies of documents on the online platform? If so, were those copies self attested before uploading, or just regular copies?

mrangwala

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
LANDED..........
01-05-2019
Thanks for your response!
When you applied for the OCI for your son did you have to upload copies of documents on the online platform? If so, were those copies self attested before uploading, or just regular copies?
Yes uploaded docs online. Scanned copy of originals were uploaded so they were not self-attested. it does not mention on their website that uploaded copies have to be self attested. But please call BLS and confirm to be absolutely sure. When we sent those same docs as physical copies, we self attested them per instructions.