+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

puj

Star Member
Jun 21, 2013
On bls website it shows processing at CG. But on OCI website it shows no records found. Anyone faced the same?

Nov 2, 2020
Hello, I am planning to travel to India. Can someone guide me from where can I get COVID testing done? What is the process time?
Here is the link to find the locations in Ontario.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/assessment-centre-locations

People flying into India will now need to get their Covid test done within 72 hours (Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/now-get-covid-test-within-72-hours-of-flying-to-india-to-avoid-paid-quarantine-with-negative-report/articleshow/79063662.cms)

zam7

Jun 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-04-2017
Med's Done....
24-03-2017
Passport Req..
25-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2017
LANDED..........
05-06-2017
BLS Toronto Postal Application for Indian Passport Surrender and OCI application:

Indian Surrender Certificate:
Application delivered - Oct 21, 2020
Acknowledgement of Receipt - Oct 22, 2020
Indian Surrender Certificate Issued - Oct 30, 2020
Indian Surrender Certificate and Passport Cancelled dispatched - Nov 4, 2020
Indian SC and Cancelled PP received - Nov 5, 2020

Total Processing Time - 15 days

OCI:
App delivered - Oct 21, 2020
AOR - Oct 27, 2020
OCI Dispatched - Nov 17, 2020
OCI Received - Nov 23, 2020

Total Processing Time - 32 days

Note: Only original doc I sent was the Indian Passport for cancellation

vikasyadav6892

Star Member
Oct 19, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I see people are applying OCI and surrender application together. I've an appointment tomorrow at BLS for surrender application.
Can i also apply OCI with it? but OCI needs renuniciation certificate.

In online OCI application, it asks to upload renunciated passport photo(with written "cancelled") in upload document section . Should I upload my normal passport?

Thanks for your answer.

yetanotherguy

Nov 18, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I see people are applying OCI and surrender application together. I've an appointment tomorrow at BLS for surrender application.
Can i also apply OCI with it? but OCI needs renuniciation certificate.

In online OCI application, it asks to upload renunciated passport photo(with written "cancelled") in upload document section . Should I upload my normal passport?

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, you can apply for the surrender certificate and OCI at the same time (I did the same a few weeks ago as well). Make sure you take extra copies of the required documents for both applications as they will process the applications separately at the BLS office.

As for uploading the surrendered passport for the OCI application, you can upload your existing Indian passport (that you will be surrendering tomorrow). That should be fine as you have not surrendered it yet (but will be doing so together tomorrow). I did the same as well.

vikasyadav6892

Star Member
Oct 19, 2016
Yes, you can apply for the surrender certificate and OCI at the same time (I did the same a few weeks ago as well). Make sure you take extra copies of the required documents for both applications as they will process the applications separately at the BLS office.

As for uploading the surrendered passport for the OCI application, you can upload your existing Indian passport (that you will be surrendering tomorrow). That should be fine as you have not surrendered it yet (but will be doing so together tomorrow). I did the same as well.
Thanks for the info.

Few more information:

1. For marital status in OCI checklist, they are asking for a written desclartion. I'm not married, so what needs to be done here?
2. In Indian Visa uploading section, they are asking to upload landing record(COPR), is it correct? how come it's Indian visa?
3. In document checklist, do we send original landing paper(COPR) or only copy of it?

Thanks.

yetanotherguy

Nov 18, 2020
Thanks for the info.

Few more information:

1. For marital status in OCI checklist, they are asking for a written desclartion. I'm not married, so what needs to be done here?
2. In Indian Visa uploading section, they are asking to upload landing record(COPR), is it correct? how come it's Indian visa?
3. In document checklist, do we send original landing paper(COPR) or only copy of it?

Thanks.
1. I just attached a signed and dated letter listing my details (name, passport number etc...) and stating that I am single and have not been married. The person at the counter at BLS seemed to be fine with that.
2. Yes, that is correct. You have to upload a copy of your COPR under the Indian visa section. Why is it called "Indian Visa"? Who knows, I just uploaded it as stated and left it down to bad design on whoever built this whole application website/form process.
3. Officially, they do ask for sending your original COPR as well as a copy (original is sent back to you, copy is kept to process the application). However, I had lost my original and was able to talk with the person at the BLS counter and they were able to accept my application just with the copy. So, you definitely need to submit a copy; if you have the original, send it and they should return it to you.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Devanginimishra

yetanotherguy

Nov 18, 2020
Here's my timeline so far as another datapoint for those still applying or waiting for your application to be processed/delivered

Passport Surrender
Date of submission at BLS Brampton (Walkin): Oct 28
Surrender Certificate Issued: Nov 18
CGI Toronto forward to BLS: Nov 19
BLS hand off to Purolator: Nov 20
Purolator delivered (in Brampton): Nov 23

OCI
Date of Acknowledgement: Nov 3
Documents printing status: Nov 25
Dispatched from MEA (OCI): Nov 25
Document received at Toronto: Nov 25 (shows in the future, not sure what to make of that :confused:)

Waiting for CGI to send the OCI to BLS and then forward to my home. Will update once I have it in my hands.

Also, I applied for Passport Surrender + OCI for everyone in the family (total of 4 people - parents + myself + brother) together. We all received the surrender certificate together on Nov 23. However, for OCI, only one of the four shows the "Document received at Toronto" status. The other 3 only show the "Documents printing status" and blank after that. Has anyone else experienced this before? Is it likely just someone at CGI forgot to update for the other 3 or are they possibly stuck/left in Delhi?

puj

Star Member
Jun 21, 2013
Here's my timeline so far as another datapoint for those still applying or waiting for your application to be processed/delivered

Passport Surrender
Surrender Certificate Issued: Nov 18
CGI Toronto forward to BLS: Nov 19
BLS hand off to Purolator: Nov 20
Purolator delivered (in Brampton): Nov 23

OCI
Date of Acknowledgement: Nov 3
Documents printing status: Nov 25
Dispatched from MEA (OCI): Nov 25
Document received at Toronto: Nov 25 (shows in the future, not sure what to make of that :confused:)

Waiting for CGI to send the OCI to BLS and then forward to my home. Will update once I have it in my hands.

Also, I applied for Passport Surrender + OCI for everyone in the family (total of 4 people - parents + myself + brother) together. We all received the surrender certificate together on Nov 23. However, for OCI, only one of the four shows the "Document received at Toronto" status. The other 3 only show the "Documents printing status" and blank after that. Has anyone else experienced this before? Is it likely just someone at CGI forgot to update for the other 3 or are they possibly stuck/left in Delhi?
How did you get the information about surrender issued and stuff? Bls only shows ready to collect for me today.
not sure what does that mean?

yetanotherguy

Nov 18, 2020
How did you get the information about surrender issued and stuff? Bls only shows ready to collect for me today.
The surrender issued date was printed on the certificate itself when I received it. It was also the day when the Passport India website (where we fill out the Surrender Certificate form) updated to include a "File No" for my application. They don't show the date there themselves; I used to check daily and noticed it on that day.

As for BLS showing "Ready to Dispatch", in my experience, that is the day that they will likely hand off to Purolator for delivery. In my timeline, on the 20th, it showed "Ready to Dispatch" during the day and in the evening, it showed "Dispatched via Courier" along with the Purolator tracking number.

Hope that helps.

ruchi6464

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
Toronto
Category........
When did you apply for OCI.... my status doesn’t change. I applied on oct 26 and acknowledged on nov 12. In process till date.

indian5911

Star Member
Nov 4, 2014
my OCI application is approved. status on BLS site says "(Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping) ". what does this mean ?
I opted for courier delivery to home.

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
my OCI application is approved. status on BLS site says "(Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping) ". what does this mean ?
Consulate of India in Toronto delivers the OCI book to BLS center. BLS center will then courier it to you. You will get it next week.

Can you please post the timeline of your OCI application. Thanks

yetanotherguy

Nov 18, 2020
Yup, as @hardnut said, this is when CGI hands off the OCI booklet to BLS. My status was showing that yesterday and today it updated to "(Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping)". I am just waiting for them to hand it off to Purolator now. Hopefully will receive it early next week.