NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/03/2015
AOR Received.
14/09/2015
Today I have sent my application for Canadian passport through mail(xpress post). Delivery is pending on 25th Aug. I have send the original certificate. I want to apply for OCI and travel to India in November that is why I could not wait any longer.

If I read the timelines correctly 3 weeks for Canadian Passport and another 12 weeks for surrender of Indian passport and obtaining an OCI, which makes November traveling very uncertain. Anyone has any suggestions please pitch in.

BTW i was debating whether to send an self addressed return envelope to get back the original citizenship certificate, but decided against it at the last moment.

Last edited:

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Today I have sent my application for Canadian passport through mail(xpress post). Delivery is pending on 25th Aug. I have send the original certificate. I want to apply for OCI and travel to India in November that is why I could not wait any longer.

If I read the timelines correctly 3 weeks for Canadian Passport and another 12 weeks for surrender of Indian passport and obtaining an OCI, which makes November traveling very uncertain. Anyone has any suggestions please pitch in.

BTW i was debating whether to send an self addressed return envelope to get back the original citizenship certificate, but decided against it at the last moment.
Under normal conditions I would be more than confident that the passport would be issued within the 3 week's time frame. But with covid, when they themselves are claiming about reduced passport services and if I were you, knowing of my future plans of travelling in November I would have taken the in-person services (by appointment only) ( link: If you need a passport in less than 30 days ) mentioned by the government and followed the required protocol to get it within 30 days and then followed the OCI obtaining procedure.

Since you have already mailed your passport application and it is showing delivery pending I would suggest to check with canadapost if the mail can be called back and then take an appointment for in person application. That is the only other way possible now since applying for the passport requires the original citizenship certificate (for a recently naturalized citizen ) which you do not have in hand currently.

Wishing for you to get your mail back and rest of the formalities to get completed at the earliest. All the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: justrajdeep

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
Under normal conditions I would be more than confident that the passport would be issued within the 3 week's time frame. But with covid, when they themselves are claiming about reduced passport services and knowing of my future plans of travelling in November I would have taken the in-person services (by appointment only) ( link: If you need a passport in less than 30 days ) mentioned by the government and followed the required protocol to get it within 30 days and then followed the OCI obtaining procedure.

Since you have already mailed your passport application and it is showing delivery pending I would suggest to check with canadapost if the mail can be called back and then take an appointment for in person application. That is the only other way possible now since applying for the passport requires the original citizenship certificate (for a recently naturalized citizen ) which you do not have in hand currently.

Wishing for you to get your mail back and rest of the formalities to get completed at the earliest. All the best.
Did you get an appointment for your passport based on your travel plans of travelling in November? The IRCC agent during my oath mentioned that I need to have urgent travel plans with tickets to apply for a passport. And she read out the same conditions as below and asked if I am eligible for anyone. And if not you would have to mail in for passport. What's weird is they say that they need Travel Itinerary with proof of payment and on the other hand they mention taht don't make any travel plans till you get your passport in hand :)

Proof you need the passport can be
  • an airline, bus or train ticket
    • If travelling by car, a written statement explaining why you need to travel
  • a travel itinerary showing proof of payment
  • proof of illness or death in the family requiring you to travel
  • a written statement from you or a third party explaining why you need the passport
    • For example, for legal, banking or residency requirements

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Did you get an appointment for your passport based on your travel plans of travelling in November? The IRCC agent during my oath mentioned that I need to have urgent travel plans with tickets to apply for a passport. And she read out the same conditions as below and asked if I am eligible for anyone. And if not you would have to mail in for passport. What's weird is they say that they need Travel Itinerary with proof of payment and on the other hand they mention taht don't make any travel plans till you get your passport in hand :)

Proof you need the passport can be
  • an airline, bus or train ticket
    • If travelling by car, a written statement explaining why you need to travel
  • a travel itinerary showing proof of payment
  • proof of illness or death in the family requiring you to travel
  • a written statement from you or a third party explaining why you need the passport
    • For example, for legal, banking or residency requirements
My reply to the OP above was what I would have done in their position based on the current situation at the passport services. I have edited my response above to clear the confusion.
Since I did not have any plan to travel, I mailed my application and waiting to hear back from them.

Chrisstina

Sep 14, 2018
My reply to the OP above was what I would have done in their position based on the current situation at the passport services. I have edited my response above to clear the confusion.
Since I did not have any plan to travel, I mailed my application and waiting to hear back from them.
Hi. Please don't burden on your mind. I have seen that your application for new passport was received by passport office like min on 13th August,2020. As already written in prior post that customer care of passport office told me to contact in the mid of next week i.e after 10 working days, as by that time passport application will be opened and file created. I shown my apprehension about original Citizenship Certificate and in reply she assured me that we are taking utmost care that the original citizenship certificate is received back by the sender.
I will be contact them on next Wednesday i.e 26th August 2020 and will post back status of my application.
I have tried to convince for urgent passport so as to enable me to attend marriage function in November,2020 and in reply I was asked to submit scan copy of marriage invitation along with photocopy of paid air ticket. Then I decided to send the application by mail. One of my friend who applied on 3rd August 2020 have received her Citizenship back and she is now waiting for the passport. Regards

justrajdeep

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/03/2015
AOR Received.
14/09/2015
Thanks everyone. All these updates/suggestions really help.

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
Hi. Please don't burden on your mind. I have seen that your application for new passport was received by passport office like min on 13th August,2020. As already written in prior post that customer care of passport office told me to contact in the mid of next week i.e after 10 working days, as by that time passport application will be opened and file created. I shown my apprehension about original Citizenship Certificate and in reply she assured me that we are taking utmost care that the original citizenship certificate is received back by the sender.
I will be contact them on next Wednesday i.e 26th August 2020 and will post back status of my application.
I have tried to convince for urgent passport so as to enable me to attend marriage function in November,2020 and in reply I was asked to submit scan copy of marriage invitation along with photocopy of paid air ticket. Then I decided to send the application by mail. One of my friend who applied on 3rd August 2020 have received her Citizenship back and she is now waiting for the passport. Regards
Exactly, they are asking a lot of documents in case we want to get in person appointment. Thanks for sharing your experience!!

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
Thanks for clarifying. Please do post when you get your passport!!

kiranus3571

Mar 3, 2019
As per Consulate general of India, Toronto website

"Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. The grace period is only for such cases where foreign citizenship has been acquired but a foreign passport is not available to the person. It is also mentioned that it is illegal to travel on an Indian passport, where a person has obtained a foreign passport.

Penalty will be charged if the passport is used after 3 months."

You can read further about surrendering the passport at the below link:
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/surrender-certificate/
Thanks for the info..

kiranus3571

Mar 3, 2019
Guys ..
I am not getting appointment to submit OCI application in person..So i decided to take the postal route ..

Here are my questions

1) i need to apply for Indian passport surrender certificate (this certificate is part of OCI application documentation) but if i apply this surrender certificate separately its taking 8 weeks to get the surrender certificate ..so i was suggested by a friend to send the surrender certificate application along with OCI application so that they happen in parallel which saves time ...but my doubt is there is nothing about this stated in BLS website that states that i can send OCI and passport surrender application together ... can any one shed some light on this?

shimnui1

Jun 28, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys ..
I am not getting appointment to submit OCI application in person..So i decided to take the postal route ..

Here are my questions

1) i need to apply for Indian passport surrender certificate (this certificate is part of OCI application documentation) but if i apply this surrender certificate separately its taking 8 weeks to get the surrender certificate ..so i was suggested by a friend to send the surrender certificate application along with OCI application so that they happen in parallel which saves time ...but my doubt is there is nothing about this stated in BLS website that states that i can send OCI and passport surrender application together ... can any one shed some light on this?
it's in the BLS Toronto checklist

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/toronto-oci-checklist-rev-11-6-jun-20.pdf

SURRENDER CERTIFICATE: (Surrender Certificates were issued on or after June 01, 2010) (Original is must)  If you have not surrendered your Indian passport, please click here http://blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php for document checklist, forms and fees to apply for the same. You may apply for the OCI and Passport Surrender together.

kiranus3571

Mar 3, 2019
it's in the BLS Toronto checklist

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/toronto-oci-checklist-rev-11-6-jun-20.pdf

SURRENDER CERTIFICATE: (Surrender Certificates were issued on or after June 01, 2010) (Original is must)  If you have not surrendered your Indian passport, please click here http://blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php for document checklist, forms and fees to apply for the same. You may apply for the OCI and Passport Surrender together.
Thanks ..Got it now..

Ajkenniek

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Calgary
Med's Request
May 27,2017
Med's Done....
June 3,2017
VISA ISSUED...
Student Visa in 2011 for Postgraduate at Niagara Ontario
LANDED..........
June 29, 2017
Dont worry they process it

Last edited: