+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

JJS

Jan 29, 2011
does anyone has experience travelling with both Indian and Candian passports with in the stipulated 3 month grace period after oath? Please let me know.

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
does anyone has experience travelling with both Indian and Candian passports with in the stipulated 3 month grace period after oath? Please let me know.
lets say you left Canada with indian and Canadian passports. as soon as you became Canadian your indian passport became void because india doesn't allow duel citizenship.. while coming back , when you submit your Canadian passport at the airport .. they will check for Indian visa or ask for OCI... then you have to explain about your arrival to india and very good chance that you will not be allowed to travel.. better to apply visitor visa.. you may need to spend 200 but its peace of mind.. I am in the same boat ..my wife is in India now .. I cant get a joint affidavit for oci.. thinking about applying visitor visa ..

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if guys married in india .. how are submitting marriage certificate for OCI?.. I have state issued certificate but not attested by MEA. . I cannt get a joint affidavit because my wife is in India now.. what are the options for OCI?

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
lets say you left Canada with indian and Canadian passports. as soon as you became Canadian your indian passport became void because india doesn't allow duel citizenship.. while coming back , when you submit your Canadian passport at the airport .. they will check for Indian visa or ask for OCI... then you have to explain about your arrival to india and very good chance that you will not be allowed to travel.. better to apply visitor visa.. you may need to spend 200 but its peace of mind.. I am in the same boat ..my wife is in India now .. I cant get a joint affidavit for oci.. thinking about applying visitor visa ..

not entirely true!. you can travel with indian passport for 3 months after you took your oath. you can travel into India with your indian passport while coming back into Canada using Canadian Passport.

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
I thought of using the same method to go to India next month. but I just noticed that we can apply for e-visa for just 50usd. So going that way once I get my Canadian passport. but if you do wanna travel with Indian passport, I would suggest you take a copy of the embassy website where it states the 3 months rule.

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
if guys married in india .. how are submitting marriage certificate for OCI?.. I have state issued certificate but not attested by MEA. . I cannt get a joint affidavit because my wife is in India now.. what are the options for OCI?
I just submitted the state issued certificate copy. BLS may want to see the original.

JJS

Jan 29, 2011
I thought of using the same method to go to India next month. but I just noticed that we can apply for e-visa for just 50usd. So going that way once I get my Canadian passport. but if you do wanna travel with Indian passport, I would suggest you take a copy of the embassy website where it states the 3 months rule.
I was thinking about the same but I am travelling to outside of India during my trip to India, so eVisa won't apply to me.

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you have to surrender Indian passport first.. without that you wont get any visa..

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
there is no such thing called grace period etc.. the moment you got your Canadian passport .. your Indian passport deemed to be cancelled..

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
copied from other forum:
i thought this will help other people..
-----------------------------------------------------------
All, writing this based on my experience, so this could help some one else in future.

As per the Indian consulate, you can travel to India using your Indian passport within 3 months. This is correct and I was able to enter India with no issues based on this point. I was expecting to use my Canadian citizenship to return back to Canada and then surrender my Indian passport (within the 3 month deadline). However on my return leg, the Indian immigration at Airport did not allow me to leave the country with the Indian passport in hand. I had 2 options - 1) Indian immigration at airport will seize my Indian passport with a penalty 2) drop my travel plans, go back to the closest Indian Passport office near the place of first issue, and surrender the passport. If you go with the first option, you would not get the Renunciation papers and wouldn't be able to apply for OCI.

With option 2, you get the renunciation papers which you would need to process your OCI. You may also need to get the Exit permit from FRRO to travel back to US/CAN if you have followed the 3 month tale and traveled in.

If any one is reading this post before you travel, I suggest to get the visa before your travel, and use the US/CAN passport ONLY for the travel. You can still surrender the Indian PP when you come back to US/CAN.

Disclaimer: My experience may not apply to all. Please check the latest rules with others you know.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: George1978

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
what original documents do we have to submit to BLS when applying for OCI? any idea? Thank you.

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you please let me know if BLS provides the courier tracking number when they return the original documents from OCI process ? where can I see the tracking number ?

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
Can you please let me know if BLS provides the courier tracking number when they return the original documents from OCI process ? where can I see the tracking number ?
When you track your application on bls website, it will show up when it is posted