+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

August2015

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tapak said:
We just got our IND pp today. It took less than 2 weeks. Mine was processed at VANCOUVER office. I submitted notarized COPR as I didn't feel comfortable sending any original documents. Personally, I thought it was waste of money to pay for FedEX. FedEX tried to deliver around noon when no one was at home. We ended up picking up our documents from their office in the evening as the notice read that it was final attempt and the package will be returned to sender if not picked up. :eek:
HI Tapak
Did you apply for OCI too?

Raja420

Dec 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Applied for OCI in January 2017. No originals required, no Notary required. Just photo copies. Very fast processing. Was told will take upto 90 days, but actually took less than 40 days.

Date of Application BLS Vancouver Jan 30 2017
Date of Acknowledgement: Feb 02 2017
Documents Printing Status: Processed Feb 20 2017
Dispatched From MEA: Feb 21 2017
Documents Received Vancouver: Mar 01 2017
Recieved Via Fedex at home: Mar 09 2017

August2015

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Raja420 said:
Applied for OCI in January 2017. No originals required, no Notary required. Just photo copies. Very fast processing. Was told will take upto 90 days, but actually took less than 40 days.

Date of Application BLS Vancouver Jan 30 2017
Date of Acknowledgement: Feb 02 2017
Documents Printing Status: Processed Feb 20 2017
Dispatched From MEA: Feb 21 2017
Documents Received Vancouver: Mar 01 2017
Recieved Via Fedex at home: Mar 09 2017
is Date of acknowledgement = when you noticed application status: Processing at consulate general? or did you receive an email?

Tapak

Oct 13, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
August2015 said:
HI Tapak
Did you apply for OCI too?
Yes. I applied for OCI too. I believe surrender certificate and passport cancellation is done in Canada at applicable CGI office. Usually, the IND passports are returned with surrender certificate/letter within two weeks. However, it will be interesting to see if we get 40ish days like Raja420.

Raja420

Dec 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
August2015 said:
is Date of acknowledgement = when you noticed application status: Processing at consulate general? or did you receive an email?
I used the file number I was assigned after I made the online application. I used this site to track ://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury. Date of acknowledgement was the date MEA New Delhi Acknowledged the application. I never got any email. Just online Inquiry.

diamondstar511

Jun 3, 2012
Friends,

Can you please help me with the below questions. I am from Toronto.

1) Me and my wife are Indian passport holders now with Canadian citizenship, can we get OCI ?

2) Can we apply for OCI before surrendering our passport or should be done after that ?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Tapak

Oct 13, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
diamondstar511 said:
Friends,

1) Me and my wife are Indian passport holders now with Canadian citizenship, can we get OCI ?

2) Can we apply for OCI before surrendering our passport or should be done after that ?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.
1) Yes. You and your spouse can apply for OCI since you have Canadian Citizenship.
2) You will have to surrender Indian PP in order to apply for OCI. Also, you need Canadian PPs for OCI.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Tapak said:
1) Yes. You and your spouse can apply for OCI since you have Canadian Citizenship.
2) You will have to surrender Indian PP in order to apply for OCI. Also, you need Canadian PPs for OCI.

Wrong on the point 2)

Govt of India does not paste U VISA sticker anymore thus there is no need to submit the Canadian passport in Original. Although photocopies would be sent.

Tapak

Oct 13, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Wrong on the point 2)

Govt of India does not paste U VISA sticker anymore thus there is no need to submit the Canadian passport in Original. Although photocopies would be sent.
You are correct. Just to clarify what I meant is you need Canadian PP (number) to be mentioned on your OCI application. I didn't see that mentioned in OP's point #1. Thanks for correcting my ambiguous reply.

karianna

Jun 12, 2015
You can complete the process to surrender and apply for OCI at the same time...u don't have to wait for surrender process to complete..

diamondstar511 said:
Friends,

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Vizzynuts

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
May 30, 2016 - more wedding pictures and cohab info
AOR Received.
June 17, 2015
IELTS Request
None
File Transfer...
August 24, 2015
Med's Request
Remed request - August 3, 2016
Med's Done....
Done and sent with application
Passport Req..
Aug 22, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 9, 2016
LANDED..........
Sept 10, 2016
So I submitted my application from Calgary. Here's what they have on the tracking website so far:
Application Reference Number OCIXXXXXXXXX
Application Date 2017-03-20
Applicant Name MY NAME
Applicant Passport Number MY PASSPORT NUMBER
Applicant Date of Birth MY BIRTHDAY
Application Status Under Process
In Transit from BLS Centre to Consulat General

Based on the last sentence, is it safe to assume that it is on its way from Calgary to Vancouver?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Vizzynuts said:
So I submitted my application from Calgary. Here's what they have on the tracking website so far:
Application Reference Number OCIXXXXXXXXX
Application Date 2017-03-20
Applicant Name MY NAME
Applicant Passport Number MY PASSPORT NUMBER
Applicant Date of Birth MY BIRTHDAY
Application Status Under Process
In Transit from BLS Centre to Consulat General

Based on the last sentence, is it safe to assume that it is on its way from Calgary to Vancouver?
yes

Vizzynuts

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
May 30, 2016 - more wedding pictures and cohab info
AOR Received.
June 17, 2015
IELTS Request
None
File Transfer...
August 24, 2015
Med's Request
Remed request - August 3, 2016
Med's Done....
Done and sent with application
Passport Req..
Aug 22, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 9, 2016
LANDED..........
Sept 10, 2016
Just wanted to give a quick update. I used the following website to do a status inquiry: http://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury

I filled in the info required and here are my results:
Applicant Name XXXXXXXXX
File Acknowledgment Number CANVXXXXXXXX
Date Of Acknowledgment 24-MAR-2017
Registration Status at Mission VANCOUVER
Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS
Note- Ordinarily, OCI Registration Certificate and Visa are available for delivery within 42 days from the date of acknowledgment. If there are any objections regarding Photographs/Signature/Thumb impression etc, the process may get delayed and the same will be communicated to applicant by the concerned Mission/ Office via OCI web site/ SMS/ Email/ Phone etc.

My question is, can I expect the OCI on May 5, 2017? Based on 42 days from the date of acknowledgment?

Thanks,

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Vizzynuts said:
Just wanted to give a quick update. I used the following website to do a status inquiry: http://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury

I filled in the info required and here are my results:
Applicant Name XXXXXXXXX
File Acknowledgment Number CANVXXXXXXXX
Date Of Acknowledgment 24-MAR-2017
Registration Status at Mission VANCOUVER
Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS
Note- Ordinarily, OCI Registration Certificate and Visa are available for delivery within 42 days from the date of acknowledgment. If there are any objections regarding Photographs/Signature/Thumb impression etc, the process may get delayed and the same will be communicated to applicant by the concerned Mission/ Office via OCI web site/ SMS/ Email/ Phone etc.

My question is, can I expect the OCI on May 5, 2017? Based on 42 days from the date of acknowledgment?

Thanks,
Yes, +/- 10 days. However, it could be till 24th June 2017 depending upon how busy the consulate is.