+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

WindsorFeb15Aspirant

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunafi said:
+1 Thanks a lot for your reply and saving from doing mistake...

So you meant, before I could apply eTV, surrendering existing Indian passport is must. We are flying around 30th July , hopefully possible to complete during 3 months (you have shared takes a week, thanks for the info).

Last time experience with BSL Brampton was really bad, long queues and wait outside in cold, my application for renewal pp was verified on counter and I got token to wait, but had to reach office, so left after an hour; next time someone else on same counter rejected the form and said you have written DOB as Calcutta and in existing pp it's Calcutta (w.b), so go back fill online again and comeback. When I talked to supervisor mentioned that during last visit guy on the desk even gave me counter, she said rule got changed, when I asked when, she said last night. That was horrible. I went immediately to North yorh BSL office and it worked fine.

I wish I could avoid BSL, but seems left no choice.
Pray for us.
Surrendering the passport is little straightforward when compared to the OCI application. Because the surrender application is not filled online.
I have visited Brampton BLS office and applied in person. I was there on a Monday morning at 8:30 and it was not crowded.
The process took 3 weeks to get the cancelled passport and surrender cert back.
It's better to get it done now before you visit India.

This is what I did:
1. Fill the one page application
2. Fill the checklist
3. Original Indian Passport along with copies of all pages with stamps and visas (empty pages not required)
4. Canadian Passport copy
5. Canadian Citizenship Cert copy
6. Landing Document copy
7. Paid the fee at BLS office by cash ($240+fees+courier)

sunafi

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
WindsorFeb15Aspirant said:
Surrendering the passport is little straightforward when compared to the OCI application. Because the surrender application is not filled online.
I have visited Brampton BLS office and applied in person. I was there on a Monday morning at 8:30 and it was not crowded.

This is what I did:
2. Fill the checklist
3. Original Indian Passport along with copies of all pages with stamps and visas (empty pages not required)
6. Landing Document copy
true its easy compare to renewal passport process; I already got everything ready, waiting for my Canadian passport & will submit in person. thanks for your reply...

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
@Sunafi,
One week I said was for the Ottawa Office, I actually like the ppl there at the BLS office.
Yes, make sure to have the checklist signed for every member of family.
Documents for each passport. They say there is no such thing as a family application.
They charge for every passport. So if you pay by debit card they charge the card for every passport.
Pretty dumb! And for children they need to have both parents sign that the form, both copies
of parents passport need to be on their application.
They do need the passport page copy with the first Canadian resident visa (other visas not relevant)
and the latest passport (copy and original). They were good enough to photocopy some that I forgot
off my original but I think for a $1.00 a copy.
Yes, and everything else as per Windsor... and the checklist, of course.

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi folks,

I am putting together documents for OCI app. Need a quick suggestion - How to make photo and signature ready for uploading on OCI application (in respective sizes and quality)? Did you use any software? Please suggest..

Thanks,

This is what I did:
2. Fill the checklist
6. Landing Document copy

WindsorFeb15Aspirant

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nubee said:
Hi folks,

I am putting together documents for OCI app. Need a quick suggestion - How to make photo and signature ready for uploading on OCI application (in respective sizes and quality)? Did you use any software? Please suggest..

Thanks,
I have used MS Paint to crop the photo and signature. Photo should be in 1:1 ratio and Signature should be in 1:3 ratio. If you save as jpg the size will be less than 500kb.

fedex682

Star Member
Mar 22, 2011
I got my originals (Citizenship Certificate and PR landing paper) back today by Fedex. Does that mean my application is in process and everything is in order and now I wait? What would be the next step?

WindsorFeb15Aspirant

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fedex682 said:
I got my originals (Citizenship Certificate and PR landing paper) back today by Fedex. Does that mean my application is in process and everything is in order and now I wait? What would be the next step?
I got the acknowledgement also along with the originals. Did you get the acknowledgement with Application Reference number? If yes, You can track the status here http://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury

fedex682

Star Member
Mar 22, 2011
I got the acknowledgement also along with the originals. Did you get the acknowledgement with Application Reference number? If yes, You can track the status here http://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury
Yes I got the acknowledgment as well :)
I just checked it on the link and it says 'under process'. Thanks!

How much time from now does it usually take? The acknowledgment receipt says 60-90 days. It should be quicker than that right? I am planning to go to India end of July so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your help. This was very useful :). All done with this.

Cheers,

I have used MS Paint to crop the photo and signature. Photo should be in 1:1 ratio and Signature should be in 1:3 ratio. If you save as jpg the size will be less than 500kb.

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I went in today morning to submit OCI app. :) Everything looked fine unless we reached marriage documents section. I recently got married and spouse is still in India. I had attached marriage certificate from State Govt. But BLS asked to provide the following documents:

1. Marriage certificate notarized from the Ministry of External Affairs, India
2. Wife's passport notarized from a notary in India
3. A no-objection affidavit from wife regarding my OCI application, notarized from a notary in India

I am really looking for help on this. Did anyone face similar situation? Please share your advice.

I plan to visit India at the earliest for long-term (4-6 months) for family reasons. I need to be home by June 30, 2016. Not sure if I should rather apply in India.

Thanks so much in advance for your help,

nubee said:

Cheers,

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I went in today morning to submit OCI app. :) Everything looked fine till we reached marriage documents section. I recently got married and spouse is still in India. I had attached marriage certificate from State Govt. But BLS asked to provide the following documents:

1. Marriage certificate notarized from the Ministry of External Affairs, India
2. Wife's passport notarized from a notary in India
3. A no-objection affidavit from wife regarding my OCI application, notarized from a notary in India

I got PR thru skilled worker program and wife has not sponsored me. My wife hasn't got her PR yet.

I am really looking for help on this. Did anyone face similar situation? Please share your advice.

I plan to visit India at the earliest for long-term (4-6 months) for family reasons. I need to be home by June 30, 2016. Not sure if I should rather apply in India.

Thanks so much in advance for your help,

nubee said:

Cheers,

been.bittu

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
APRIL 2011
Doc's Request.
JULY 2014
AOR Received.
OCT 2014
File Transfer...
MARCH 2016
Med's Request
APRIL 2016
Med's Done....
APRIL 2016
Passport Req..
NOV 2016
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2016
LANDED..........
DEC 2016
hi
all the members on this forum i need quick advice i did my oci application with me and my husband and son on april 2016 all the documents and everything ok so how long does it take time to get original documents back ????

devendra1509

Aug 31, 2014
been.bittu said:
hi
all the members on this forum i need quick advice i did my oci application with me and my husband and son on april 2016 all the documents and everything ok so how long does it take time to get original documents back ????
Hi,
I had applied OCI application for my son on 9th APR and got original document on 22nd APR.

BeNice

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Can anyone please help me. I want to apply for OCI through marraige.
My husband is still in India and I am in Canada.
He doesn't have any landing papers since he hasnt been to Canada.

My name is on his passport. They have asked for Spouse's landing documents.
Can I still apply ?

Thanks

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your situation is similar to mine. However I was not doing OCI thru marriage. Check my last post above for details.

BeNice said:
Can anyone please help me. I want to apply for OCI through marraige.
My husband is still in India and I am in Canada.
He doesn't have any landing papers since he hasnt been to Canada.

My name is on his passport. They have asked for Spouse's landing documents.
Can I still apply ?

Thanks