Med's Request
20-11-2010
Med's Done....
05-12-2010
Passport Req..
18-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent..
My OCI application is in process since 13-Jan-2016. Is this normal to take this much time or it sense some issues?

BLS online tracking updates indicate it is in process at consulate general.

Thanks

Yogi3845

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
I received my Canadian passport and about to apply for OCI for self and my daughter (15 yrs). What will be the total cost for the entire OCI process? How long will they take for the complete process? I'm planning to visit India in August and worried if I don't get it by then. Kindly advise.

ganeshterala

Star Member
Jun 22, 2011
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th May'11
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made, 22nd Dec'2011
LANDED..........
4th Apr'2012.
Yogi3845 said:
I received my Canadian passport and about to apply for OCI for self and my daughter (15 yrs). What will be the total cost for the entire OCI process? How long will they take for the complete process? I'm planning to visit India in August and worried if I don't get it by then. Kindly advise.
Hi Yogi, I am in the same situation. Planning to apply visit visa to India.
Once back from India, I would apply for OCI.

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Yogi3845 said:
surrender certificate $250 and OCI $290 and courier charges if required. You will be ripped off to the tune of about 700 dollars per applicant. It takes about 2 months and more for the process to be completed.

Calgary15

Sep 17, 2015
One question: (Applying for OCI from Calgary)- Need Clarification.

For applying for new OCI card from Calgary, do I have to notarize and self attest all the photocopy documents. Every jurisdiction is different and I am really getting confused.
What documents are required to be uploaded when filling Part A online. Should the documents be self attested?

Can someone shed some light on this. BLS does not do a good job.

Thanks

WindsorFeb15Aspirant

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calgary15 said:
One question: (Applying for OCI from Calgary)- Need Clarification.

For applying for new OCI card from Calgary, do I have to notarize and self attest all the photocopy documents. Every jurisdiction is different and I am really getting confused.
What documents are required to be uploaded when filling Part A online. Should the documents be self attested?

Can someone shed some light on this. BLS does not do a good job.

Thanks
I have applied in Brampton. The documents need to be self attested. I have not notarized any photocopies.
After filling Part A, you need to upload the photo and signature.
After filling Part B, you need to upload the rest of the documents that are self-attested. In my case, I have uploaded, my Canada PP, Indian PP and marriage cert. At BLS office, they said marriage cert is not required if spouse's name is in your passport last page.

Good luck!

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
WindsorFeb15Aspirant said:
I have applied in Brampton. The documents need to be self attested. I have not notarized any photocopies.
After filling Part B, you need to upload the rest of the documents that are self-attested.
In my case, I have uploaded, my Canada PP, Indian PP and marriage cert. At BLS office, they said marriage cert is not required if spouse's name is in your passport last page.

Good luck!
In case of a minor, I think thumb impression is needed in lieu of signature. Correct?

For self attested documents, in case of minor, who will self-attest (mother or father)?

WindsorFeb15Aspirant

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajmalhotra7 said:
In case of a minor, I think thumb impression is needed in lieu of signature. Correct?

For self attested documents, in case of minor, who will self-attest (mother or father)?
For minors, who can't sign, you need to upload the thump impression after Part A. The documents need to be self attested by any parent.
Both the parents will have to sign the OCI form.

Yogi3845

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks Ganesh, Any idea whether we can get multiple entry visa for India like what we have in Canada. What is the fees for visit visa and how long do they take for it? Thanks.]

WindsorFeb15Aspirant

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yogi3845 said:
Thanks Ganesh, Any idea whether we can get multiple entry visa for India like what we have in Canada. What is the fees for visit visa and how long do they take for it? Thanks.]
Yes you can get multiple entry visa for 10 years.
I have applied for 10 year tourist visa for my minor son on the same day we surrendered the Indian Passport. 10 years tourist visa will allow to stay upto 6 months.
You can fill out the tourist visa application online here https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/. This website gives option to upload photo, but I did not upload it. I have pasted it on the printed application.

In visa duration, you can fill out 120 months. The fee for 10 years visa is $240 + consular and BLS charges. Can be paid by cash or debit at BLS.

You need to attach below documents to the printed application
Copy of passport surrender receipt, copies of Indian passport first and last pages, Canada passport Original and a copy,
Landing document copy, in case of minor - Parents Indian PP copies, Canada PP copies, Landing Doc copies and surrender receipts.
Address Proof - I have submitted a copy of my driver's license.

Processing time for tourist visa is one week.

canalberta

Feb 8, 2009
We applied for OCI cards in the month of November 2015 and yet not received them yet :eek:

When we try to check status of the application (http://www.blsindia-canada.com/trackapp.php), it's saying that 'No records found'.
I've written to Vancouver consulate and did not hear anything back :-(
Not sure what to do next other than waiting.

Yogi3845

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Yes you can get multiple entry visa for 10 years.
I have applied for 10 year tourist visa for my minor son on the same day we surrendered the Indian Passport. 10 years tourist visa will allow to stay upto 6 months.
You can fill out the tourist visa application online here https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/. This website gives option to upload photo, but I did not upload it. I have pasted it on the printed application.

In visa duration, you can fill out 120 months. The fee for 10 years visa is $240 + consular and BLS charges. Can be paid by cash or debit at BLS.

You need to attach below documents to the printed application
Copy of passport surrender receipt, copies of Indian passport first and last pages, Canada passport Original and a copy,
Landing document copy, in case of minor - Parents Indian PP copies, Canada PP copies, Landing Doc copies and surrender receipts.
Address Proof - I have submitted a copy of my driver's license.

Processing time for tourist visa is one week.

Thanks for the valuable information. That will help. The cost wise, the multiple entry visa is almost same as the OCI cost. But the processing time is much shorter. Is there any other difference? I'm bit confused what I should do considering my upcoming travel plans in August this year. If they delay OCI as they do in many cases, then I end up paying for the tourist visa on top of OCI fee.

WindsorFeb15Aspirant

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yogi3845 said:
Thanks for the valuable information. That will help. The cost wise, the multiple entry visa is almost same as the OCI cost. But the processing time is much shorter. Is there any other difference? I'm bit confused what I should do considering my upcoming travel plans in August this year. If they delay OCI as they do in many cases, then I end up paying for the tourist visa on top of OCI fee.
I am traveling mid July, applied for OCI last week, hoping to get it before travel. If not, worst case, I will apply for e-visa online for single entry. That will cost USD 48.

Calgary15

Sep 17, 2015
After filling Part B, you need to upload the rest of the documents that are self-attested. In my case, I have uploaded, my Canada PP, Indian PP and marriage cert. At BLS office, they said marriage cert is not required if spouse's name is in your passport last page.

Good luck!
Thanks a Lot.

Do we have to submit a copy of our birth certificate too? I do not have the name of my mother. The birth certificate only shows my Father's name? Please advice. Furthermore, if parents are still India, do we need a copy of their passport to show they are still Indians?

Thanks

WindsorFeb15Aspirant

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calgary15 said:
Thanks a Lot.

Do we have to submit a copy of our birth certificate too? I do not have the name of my mother. The birth certificate only shows my Father's name? Please advice. Furthermore, if parents are still India, do we need a copy of their passport to show they are still Indians?

Thanks
My understanding is, birth certificate and parents passport copies are not required if you are a naturalized citizen. Your surrendered Indian PP is a proof of your Indian origin.

If you are a Canadian by birth, and if you are acquiring OCI based on your parents, then you need to proof either of your parents Indian origin (parents Indian passport copy) and birth certificate with both your parents name on it.