+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Any January applicant from the Vancouver started getting OCI processed status? We plan to travel to India on March 16. Based on the trend, just worried if I will get the OCI by the time.

Applied - Jan 8, ACK - Jan 12
With processing time of 11-14 weeks it looks difficult.

data_tailor

Apr 3, 2017
Hey Guys .
Applying for an OCI via postal after a getting Canadian Citizenship.
I have a couple for questions for the application packet.
Firstly , my DD that I got is a combined sum of $352.4 (consular fees $345 and BLS fee of $7.4). This is inspired from surrender certificate. I know it says 2 DDs in instructions but it said the same in surrender certificate so I don't know anymore. Has sending in just one draft worked for anyone ?

Secondly , the online form already has a printed photo from my upload. Do I need to affix my own photo on the top of it , there's barely any room.
I know a lot of other folks just send in 2 of their photos in their application packets and it's all good for them.

Cheers !

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hey Guys .
Applying for an OCI via postal after a getting Canadian Citizenship.
I have a couple for questions for the application packet.
Firstly , my DD that I got is a combined sum of $352.4 (consular fees $345 and BLS fee of $7.4). This is inspired from surrender certificate. I know it says 2 DDs in instructions but it said the same in surrender certificate so I don't know anymore. Has sending in just one draft worked for anyone ?

Secondly , the online form already has a printed photo from my upload. Do I need to affix my own photo on the top of it , there's barely any room.
I know a lot of other folks just send in 2 of their photos in their application packets and it's all good for them.

Cheers !
It won't work as your DD is of the wrong amount. BLS fees has decreased. Surrender had a single DD requirement made against BLS. OCI has two separate ones. So create separate ones if you don't want your application to be returned and your courier fees wasted.

No need to paste photo on the form. Just put it a small envelope and send it with your application.

Maxwh

Feb 18, 2024
We have a similar experience, we'd need to wait for a few more days, maybe a week, as they have a backlog for OCI's.
The response:
Your OCI application has received at our BLS Postal Brampton Center xx-xx-2024. Please allow 4-5 business days for processing it to IHC/CGI. Please note that this does not indicate that your application has processed to Indian High commission or Consulate general of India. Please allow 4-5 business days for processing your application to Indian High commission or Consulate general of India. Once your application processed in our BLS center, you will be notified through email service with a unique BLS reference number. The unique number can be use for tracking purpose on BLS website.
Even your Bls status says ‘incorrect / incomplete’

data_tailor

Apr 3, 2017
Oh shoot. Thanks for the reply .
The amounts in instructions are mentioned as $345 for the DD for HCI and $7.4 for BLS ? Do you know what should be the current amounts ?
Is there some other place where there is the most up to date information other than BLS website ?
Thanks again for helping out
It won't work as your DD is of the wrong amount. BLS fees has decreased. Surrender had a single DD requirement made against BLS. OCI has two separate ones. So create separate ones if you don't want your application to be returned and your courier fees wasted.

No need to paste photo on the form. Just put it a small envelope and send it with your application.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Oh shoot. Thanks for the reply .
The amounts in instructions are mentioned as $345 for the DD for HCI and $7.4 for BLS ? Do you know what should be the current amounts ?
Is there some other place where there is the most up to date information other than BLS website ?
Thanks again for helping out
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ottawa-jurisdiction/oci-fresh.php
Check the "Application Fees" section

BLS Processing Fee: $1.70

I am not sure where you submitting so based on jurisdiction the name on the DD also differs. So go to the above link for the jurisdiction you submitting the application at.

ssnvenkatadit

Mar 30, 2022
I am applying for OCI on the basis of relationship to applicant as SELF.
Do I need to upload my spouse passport on the OCI portal or just submit the copy to BLS as per the checklist?
In the OCI website it says the below:
Instructions for Indian Origin Proof upload
* Choose current Indian Passport/Nativity Certificate of spouse only when the applicant applies on the basis of Indian Origin Proof of spouse.

I am bit confused, since BLS checklist is asking me to provide copy of spouse passport, do I need to upload the same in the OCI portal also.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am applying for OCI on the basis of relationship to applicant as SELF.
Do I need to upload my spouse passport on the OCI portal or just submit the copy to BLS as per the checklist?
In the OCI website it says the below:
Instructions for Indian Origin Proof upload
* Choose current Indian Passport/Nativity Certificate of spouse only when the applicant applies on the basis of Indian Origin Proof of spouse.

I am bit confused, since BLS checklist is asking me to provide copy of spouse passport, do I need to upload the same in the OCI portal also.
Use this - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10335797

Your spouse name gets printed on the OCI booklet.

canadian204

Jan 20, 2024
Hi guys I applied for surrender certificate for my indian passport walk in and they charged me 97 dollars for only purolator how much is the courier charge if u do it online

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi guys I applied for surrender certificate for my indian passport walk in and they charged me 97 dollars for only purolator how much is the courier charge if u do it online
There is no online facility. You need to call BLS these days. Some months back it was $62 then $84. Looks like now it's $97.

canadian204

Jan 20, 2024
There is no online facility. You need to call BLS these days. Some months back it was $62 then $84. Looks like now it's $97.
So the courier is same price when u call. Then there is no point of going to bls centre to sumbit applications I thought its more expensive online

Harrysingh04

Aug 20, 2020
Hey Guys. I am about to apply for my E-visa. I have a couple of doubt if anyone can clear. I do not have enough time to surrender my Indian passport and I plan to do it after I return (It will be less than 90 days from getting my Canadian Citizenship). The forms asks me whether I hold passport from another country. Should I put the information of the India passport in that section? if not, what to fill in that section or simply say no?
Also, my Canadian passport only has a last name but no given name. The e-visa application has a mandatory Given name field. How should I proceed?