+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

myindia

Oct 16, 2018
What is OCI registration certificate?
Registering the OCI in India. When she contacted FRRO, they opened the online application and she was told to cancel the election ID and submit the proof online. Then they approved her application and she got OCI registered. She has to show this certificate to the immigration officer at airport when she leaves India.
Also they verified her OCI and Canadian passport by visiting her home. She didn't have to go to FRRO office.

Last edited:

CABA

Jan 14, 2016
I literally fell of my chair laughing.. How dumb are these guys.. haha

But, on a more serious note, when I applied for our Canadian passport, we forgot to mention some minor detail. still, the guys at Service Canada were so chill, they allowed us to edit the form with a pen. No BS, no hidden agenda!

Why can't Indian bureaucratic work be done in a similar way.. BLS is a great reminder of how corrupt the Indian system is.

Can't wait to get done with our submissions.
Exactly, somehow I mentioned the birth country as Canada in my passport application. The guy at Service Canada counter corrected it and it was all good. Imagine doing that mistake with BLS

CABA

Jan 14, 2016
Weird part is things are easier done in India like passport renewal, I had passport printed sms before reaching home, surrender certificate takes a day to get. It all sucks to do same from Canada.
has anyone done the SC in India. I heard they want the same address proof document as in Passport

Reactions: myindia

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Registering the OCI in India. When she contacted FRRO, they opened the online application and she was told to cancel the election ID and submit the proof online. Then they approved her application and she got OCI registered. She has to show this certificate to the immigration officer at airport when she leaves India
Thanks for sharing this experience. Are there any charges from FRRO for this registration?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I literally fell of my chair laughing.. How dumb are these guys.. haha

But, on a more serious note, when I applied for our Canadian passport, we forgot to mention some minor detail. still, the guys at Service Canada were so chill, they allowed us to edit the form with a pen. No BS, no hidden agenda!

Why can't Indian bureaucratic work be done in a similar way.. BLS is a great reminder of how corrupt the Indian system is.

Can't wait to get done with our submissions.
And I’d reference this post ke isko to OCI do he mat
This person is an NRI bole to Non Reliable Indian

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rushi.gada

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
That was funny. woh bolenge bhai isko jaldi leke jaa main Tera without extra charges ke kar doonga oci applcatio.

As you already know now that I can do that so here is one more question for you.

Does it matter from whose account we get the bank draft as long as it's paid on name of consulate? Asking because if applicant is spouse but I draw draft from my account then it will have my name as Purchaser on draft.
Naa does not matter
I have a jt account with my spouse, I got the drafts for me, spouse and kids, individual drafts addressed to CGI Toronto. They prefer drafts over cheques because the bank is assuring them the funds once they encash these drafts. They are not looking at who got drafts done etc.

Reactions: desmat

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
@abbas.pasha @forw.jane can you please share pdf how to fill surrender certificate application? Also there is aa question about visible mark ? What should i fill there?
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Surrender-Sample-form-with-common-errors.pdf

Sample ans for visible mark-
Mole near ur lips
Moss on bottom right side of face
Injury mark on forehead

You can write None if you don't have any distinguishing mark.

For OCI this gets printed on the booklet.

Reactions: kaoru and Miss bee

Noctis7

Nov 4, 2023
Registering the OCI in India. When she contacted FRRO, they opened the online application and she was told to cancel the election ID and submit the proof online. Then they approved her application and she got OCI registered. She has to show this certificate to the immigration officer at airport when she leaves India.
Also they verified her OCI and Canadian passport by visiting her home. She didn't have to go to FRRO office.
Thanks a lot for all the info.

rbl

Aug 23, 2015
My OCI application status shows that my card is dispatched from New Delhi on 29th January. As I will be travelling out of country on 3 rd February and will be coming back on 10th February. Just curious to know how many days it takes to get OCI card in hand after it’s being dispatched from New Delhi. Is there any way to approach BLS Brampton to inform that my card should not be delivered during my unavailability in Canada.
please share BLS Brampton contact number