+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Jyoti071

Star Member
Nov 8, 2023
Hi All ,

Is it possible to apply for my surrender certificate as well as the OCI at the same time . In the same appointment?
I had read previously , in last year's post , that we can't do both at the same time.
Have things changed in 2023/24?
This forum has been a blessing .
Thank you all for the help
From my understanding each jurisdiction is different. In Vancouver I was told no, you must get your surrender certificate first and then send in your OCI application in with SC attached. I’m not sure about the East Coast areas as they are faster at processing and some rules are different.

Reactions: praikdeshmukh1987

sandy66

Dec 30, 2023
Finally got processed OCI 1/Jan/2024. From delhi. MEA OCI - ON. Receiving Documents at Toronto ON. What r chances to get OCI on hand from Purolator from BLS Brampton???

Reactions: dhillon

tom93

Star Member
Mar 12, 2021
Looks like Bls has changed the postal section of it's website. I'm not able to book pickup and drop-off at the same time as before.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi All ,

Is it possible to apply for my surrender certificate as well as the OCI at the same time . In the same appointment?
I had read previously , in last year's post , that we can't do both at the same time.
Have things changed in 2023/24?
This forum has been a blessing .
Thank you all for the help
I doubt anyone allows it now. SC is prerequisite for OCI.

Reactions: praikdeshmukh1987
Jan 2, 2024
Hello, i applied for a Oci and did the postal method, it was picked up on October 28 and still it says processing at general consulate. I did it from brampton and i’m not sure if this is normal for the processing time
Application sent : October 28th
Application date: November 6th
Application Status: Processing at Consulate General

Reactions: Preetdehal

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello, i applied for a Oci and did the postal method, it was picked up on October 28 and still it says processing at general consulate. I did it from brampton and i’m not sure if this is normal for the processing time
Application sent : October 28th
Application date: November 6th
Application Status: Processing at Consulate General
What's the status on OCI site?

jainp01

Star Member
Feb 16, 2011
Visa Office......
NDVO/ Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16/10/2014
Nomination.....
PER 18/01/2015
AOR Received.
25/02/2015
IELTS Request
16/10/2014
File Transfer...
processing started on 17th April
Med's Request
15/05/2015
Med's Done....
23/05/2015 & 04/06/2015
Passport Req..
awaited
VISA ISSUED...
awaited
LANDED..........
awaited

tri-junction

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14th May'14
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
30th Aug'14 (PER)
Med's Request
21st Oct'14
Med's Done....
15th Nov'14
Passport Req..
DM on 21st Feb15
happy new year everyone. I just logged in today after a long time. so currently it is taking more than 50 days from acknowledged at CGI to processed ? I have travel to india on Feb 10 2024. My OCI application ( Toronto Postal) is updated to acknowledged on 28th December 2023. I think I have to get e-visa for this trip as it looks like I wont get OCI before that time? thanks in advance!

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hello everyone

Few more questions came up as i was filling up my minor child (born in India)

Regarding Indian ties -In Drop down option there is SELF and also Parents were born in India. I believe it should be self and i will attach my daughters indian passport and surrender certificate copy. Also i will attach mine and my spouse Indian Passport, surrender certificate.

Is this correct?

While going through the process i am having a feel that the day is not far when Indian Colleges will start offering Post Graduate Diploma in filling up OCI Forms,

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
happy new year everyone. I just logged in today after a long time. so currently it is taking more than 50 days from acknowledged at CGI to processed ? I have travel to india on Feb 10 2024. My OCI application ( Toronto Postal) is updated to acknowledged on 28th December 2023. I think I have to get e-visa for this trip as it looks like I wont get OCI before that time? thanks in advance!

I have still to submit by postal today or tomorrow and i am travelling end of Feb.

I am planning to apply for E Visa as well and best case if OCI arrives and if not at-least Plan B is in place.

You case more likely to receive OCI but transit from Consulate to BLS and then to home takes about 8-10 days which is annoying. It could likely happen that the day you fly and next day some one tries to attempt delivery of OCI.

Rohit_Alg

Nov 12, 2018
Hello,

I have few questions, apologies if these are answered previously. I tried to search but could not locate.

1. Do I need to upload surrender certificate on OCI portal? I could not find a type for this.
2. For minor, earlier holding an Indian passport, should the Relationship with the Root Indian be mentioned as Self or Father/Mother?
3. Do I upload parents Indian (cancelled) passports for minor application? If yes, what type of document?
4. Is COPR required to be uploaded under Indian Visa?
5. Any harm if I upload some additional documents like marriage certificate, employment letter? I am reading different opinions if these are required or not.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello everyone

Few more questions came up as i was filling up my minor child (born in India)

Regarding Indian ties -In Drop down option there is SELF and also Parents were born in India. I believe it should be self and i will attach my daughters indian passport and surrender certificate copy. Also i will attach mine and my spouse Indian Passport, surrender certificate.

Is this correct?

While going through the process i am having a feel that the day is not far when Indian Colleges will start offering Post Graduate Diploma in filling up OCI Forms,
Yes it's correct. If your kid would have been born in Canada you would choose the parents born in India option.

Reactions: gaurav1282

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello,

I have few questions, apologies if these are answered previously. I tried to search but could not locate.

1. Do I need to upload surrender certificate on OCI portal? I could not find a type for this.
2. For minor, earlier holding an Indian passport, should the Relationship with the Root Indian be mentioned as Self or Father/Mother?
3. Do I upload parents Indian (cancelled) passports for minor application? If yes, what type of document?
4. Is COPR required to be uploaded under Indian Visa?
5. Any harm if I upload some additional documents like marriage certificate, employment letter? I am reading different opinions if these are required or not.
Are you applying for yourself or minor?