+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi, I mailed my OCI re-issue application to Brampton BLS on November 20th. My application date on the BLS site says November 30th and status changed to processing at consulate general on December 1st (as told by BLS agent) and is the current status. This is my second time mailing to error the first time. What are chances I receive my OCI before January 12th? Is it any faster because its a re-issue and not a fresh application? Should I look into e-visa now?
No chance...
it will take about 8 weeks from the date of processing i.e. Dec 1st.
Key milestone is Acknowledgement (on the OCI website), which happens in about 20+ days of the processing date.
In about 30+ days from Acknowledgement you can expect to receive your OCI in hand

dm31810

Star Member
Mar 27, 2019
Hello,
Our OCI Acknowledgement date is 22 Nov and is excpected in Jan
We are traveling to India in Jan using evisa

Question - Can I request BLS to hold our OCI as we will not be there to receive?
Thanks!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

dm31810

Star Member
Mar 27, 2019

suppar

Dec 20, 2023
No chance...
it will take about 8 weeks from the date of processing i.e. Dec 1st.
Key milestone is Acknowledgement (on the OCI website), which happens in about 20+ days of the processing date.
In about 30+ days from Acknowledgement you can expect to receive your OCI in hand
Thank you, how do I check the status on OCI website? When I enter canadian passport number and reference number it says no record found, am I using the wrong reference number?

Can you please direct me to the e-visa website?

CABA

Jan 14, 2016
Thank you, how do I check the status on OCI website? When I enter canadian passport number and reference number it says no record found, am I using the wrong reference number?

Google "e-visa India"

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

You are using I assume OCI site: https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury to check the status?
You might see an update for the acknowledgement in the next day or 2 hopefully. Till then it will only show "no records found"

eVisa: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hard to trust BLS helpline
I called them to check if me and my wife need to go in person to submit our individual applications and they said yes but found out at BLS office that its not required.
I know what you mean..
To put a hold on the shipping of your OCI to your home, you will only have to request BLS only.

iWish2

Feb 18, 2020
Providing first hand updates for those who are planning to visit BLS Brampton for OCI Services.
I visited there with an appointment of 9 AM. Reached there 5 mins before, had to cross a queue of 20-25 people to directly reach to security guard, who after checking my printout of appointment allowed me to get in and allocated me a coupon. In 5 mins, I was called at a counter. The lady at the counter immediately looking at my application mentioned - photo toh nahi chalega yeh waala (This photo will not work). I asked her why - she said shoulders are not visible plus you only got 1 copy of photo, to which I replied that I followed the checklist. She said - No, we need 2 identical photos with clearly visible shoulders. Now I am aware that my photo had no flaws and it was exactly the same as they had asked for, but lady was not willing to listen. She said - you need to take the photo from BLS photographer (an ordinary fellow) who will also click exactly the similar photo as you are already having, but this one will be accepted for sure (because now you have paid 30$). Same thing she told to my spouse that she also needs to get a photo from BLS photographer (another 30$ paid). Funniest part was, when she realized I also have a minor application who is not accompanying me, so there is no way she can ask me to get a BLS clicked photo, so she takes out another method - We need 2 more copies of your son's photo (I already submitted 2 copies). When I said, why you need 4 copies , she said for minor its needed :) Anyways, she herself suggested a solution - get a soft copy of this photo and email to BLS photographer and he will get 2 copies for you (another 30$ paid).
After all this drama, she found out a mistake in my spouse's application in the section - "Any previous names" which I had put as my spouse's maiden name (before marriage) and I had her old passport, marriage certificate and new passport (with both spouse names on each other's passports) but she said you will need a notarized affidavit for this or else edit this field and don't put the previous name at all. I argued - how is that possible ? She actually had a different name previously to which she replied : No, its not needed because in your Indian passport and Canadian passport her name is same). She said she can rectify this for me for a 60$ fees. Once everything was done, as per her wish, then she asked me to make payments for these services. Once I made the payment, I was suddenly treated as celebrity. All my applications were correct, all my photographs were perfect, all photocopies (some I didn't even submit) were fine and accepted. I collected my belongings and came out with a wish that this should be my last dealing with these people and this BLS institute.

- IF YOU ARE IN CANADA AND MISSING INDIA, PLEASE MAKE A VISIT TO BLS. PICK SOME RANDOM WORK LIKE PCC, PASSPORT RENEWAL ETC ETC AND GET THE FULL INDIAN EXPERIENCE AT BLS WITHOUT TRAVELLING TO INDIA.

- BLS MADE ME REALIZE THAT IT WAS A WISE DECISION TO APPLY FOR CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP

Riar1992

Jun 29, 2017
Providing first hand updates for those who are planning to visit BLS Brampton for OCI Services.
I visited there with an appointment of 9 AM. Reached there 5 mins before, had to cross a queue of 20-25 people to directly reach to security guard, who after checking my printout of appointment allowed me to get in and allocated me a coupon. In 5 mins, I was called at a counter. The lady at the counter immediately looking at my application mentioned - photo toh nahi chalega yeh waala (This photo will not work). I asked her why - she said shoulders are not visible plus you only got 1 copy of photo, to which I replied that I followed the checklist. She said - No, we need 2 identical photos with clearly visible shoulders. Now I am aware that my photo had no flaws and it was exactly the same as they had asked for, but lady was not willing to listen. She said - you need to take the photo from BLS photographer (an ordinary fellow) who will also click exactly the similar photo as you are already having, but this one will be accepted for sure (because now you have paid 30$). Same thing she told to my spouse that she also needs to get a photo from BLS photographer (another 30$ paid). Funniest part was, when she realized I also have a minor application who is not accompanying me, so there is no way she can ask me to get a BLS clicked photo, so she takes out another method - We need 2 more copies of your son's photo (I already submitted 2 copies). When I said, why you need 4 copies , she said for minor its needed :) Anyways, she herself suggested a solution - get a soft copy of this photo and email to BLS photographer and he will get 2 copies for you (another 30$ paid).
After all this drama, she found out a mistake in my spouse's application in the section - "Any previous names" which I had put as my spouse's maiden name (before marriage) and I had her old passport, marriage certificate and new passport (with both spouse names on each other's passports) but she said you will need a notarized affidavit for this or else edit this field and don't put the previous name at all. I argued - how is that possible ? She actually had a different name previously to which she replied : No, its not needed because in your Indian passport and Canadian passport her name is same). She said she can rectify this for me for a 60$ fees. Once everything was done, as per her wish, then she asked me to make payments for these services. Once I made the payment, I was suddenly treated as celebrity. All my applications were correct, all my photographs were perfect, all photocopies (some I didn't even submit) were fine and accepted. I collected my belongings and came out with a wish that this should be my last dealing with these people and this BLS institute.

- IF YOU ARE IN CANADA AND MISSING INDIA, PLEASE MAKE A VISIT TO BLS. PICK SOME RANDOM WORK LIKE PCC, PASSPORT RENEWAL ETC ETC AND GET THE FULL INDIAN EXPERIENCE AT BLS WITHOUT TRAVELLING TO INDIA.

- BLS MADE ME REALIZE THAT IT WAS A WISE DECISION TO APPLY FOR CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP
Exactly same happened with me. I applied for myself and a minor same reasons were given to me and at the end ripped me off with 270$.