+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

rockstarcg90

Star Member
Dec 6, 2022
Marriage date question was asked many times in the forum and people who have done either of it have successfully got there OCI. So I am not sure what is the right answer for it. As it said registration date, I went for registration date which is different than the marriage date. In-person Ottawa submission.
Yes, i'm also going with the registration date as mentioned in the form and not marriage date. Because as per marriage certificate from India the marriage date and registration date are totally different.

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Yes, i'm also going with the registration date as mentioned in the form and not marriage date. Because as per marriage certificate from India the marriage date and registration date are totally different.
Go ahead with that as people have got OCI with either choice.
That said, I suppose the logic behind asking for this is for spousal application as, in that case, there is a requirement that two years must have passed after marriage. For that purpose they should be using date of marriage not registration date. But you never know what their thought process is.

Reactions: rockstarcg90

ranjeeth87

Aug 19, 2015
Writing "XXX, IND" in the OCI form is not even a possibility as comma is not an acceptable character for that field. Also Canadian passport usually does not have a comma before the three-letter ISO country code.
Anyway, if the facebook posts are real, this is just another BLS nonsense. CGI Toronto has a sample OCI form where the place of birth is displayed as "DELHI" , not "DELHI IND" while Canadian passport will include the country code. I tend to take anonymous facebook posts with a pinch of salt -- they may not be telling the whole story.
Thank you for confirming all these with references on OCI sample fo. That’s a good source then. Thanks looks like my application is good

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Thank you for confirming all these with references on OCI sample fo. That’s a good source then. Thanks looks like my application is good
That does not mean BLS won't reject applications that follow the sample -- they are in a race to the bottom; they often raise silly objections and ask walk-in applicants to avail their value-added services ($60 for OCI, $30 for passport surrender) to "correctly" refill the form. I saw it happening to numerous applicants in a few hours I was there.

@ranjeeth87, your application is past BLS, and in the post Ack phase, no need to worry.

kalebhushan

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
Mumbai IN
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-09-2018
Med's Done....
27-09-2018
Passport Req..
25-01-2019

That does not mean BLS won't reject applications that follow the sample -- they are in a race to the bottom; they often raise silly objections and ask walk-in applicants to avail their value-added services ($60 for OCI, $30 for passport surrender) to "correctly" refill the form. I saw it happening to numerous applicants in a few hours I was there.

@ranjeeth87, your application is past BLS, and in the post Ack phase, no need to worry.
While waiting in line for my in person OCI application, another applicant told me he was asked to either pay to fill the form again or come back later for writing ‘Nr’ for ‘Near’ in an address.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: eas2lv

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
While waiting in line for my in person OCI application, another applicant told me he was asked to either pay for fill the form again or come back later for writing ‘Nr’ for ‘Near’ in an address.
If they start picking on Indian addresses (like that of relatives), we are all doomed. There are so many "behind Gods back" addresses in India for which there is no norm on how to write.

• Haha
Reactions: Sapru

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
I submitted it in person at BLS Brampton, and while she verified it, I'm not sure if she accidentally overlooked it or intentionally processed it
Could you please share the date of application --- would like to add to the tracker. Thanks.

Guptavv

Oct 15, 2017
NA
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
21-07-2017
Doc's Request.
13-10-2017
AOR Received.
06-11-2017
IELTS Request
10-07-2017
Med's Request
25-10-2017
Passport Req..
04-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2018
LANDED..........
04-06-2018

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
Did anyone tried contacting regional MP for faster processing of OCI n did it helped?
I don't see how a Canadian MP can speed up OCI which is handled by Indian govt. The best you can do is to write to the high commission if your situation is urgent. But I am guessing with the ongoing situation, a lot of people will be already doing it and they won't speed up your case unless there is a compelling reason.

Reactions: easyrider13

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
I don't see how a Canadian MP can speed up OCI which is handled by Indian govt. The best you can do is to write to the high commission if your situation is urgent. But I am guessing with the ongoing situation, a lot of people will be already doing it and they won't speed up your case unless there is a compelling reason.
We had a similar situation with slow visa processing last year when e-visa was not yet resumed for Canadians. The HCI was hardly helpful -- they blamed it on "strained resources" and partly on BLS at that time. Ottawa has been woefully slow compared to the other two missions with OCI processing for a long time and they seem to be doing nothing about it. They could divert some of the resources that was earlier used for Visa processing to OCI: probably there are operational constraints with that, but I do not think the HCI really cares.

In this particular case, pleading the local (Vancouver) Consul General or the vice Consul in charge of OCI may be more effective than contacting the high commission in Ottawa.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am trying to cancel an appointment on BLS website. However, I am not able to cancel it & instead getting error message "Invalid Request". Has anyone else faced it? Is there any workaround?

harneetk

Sep 11, 2014
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Hello All
Did anyone recently went to BLS Brampton for pick up ? I need to get an idea how long is the queue as its only one hour window for pick up.