Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn28-SEP-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn28-SEP-2023
Document received AtVANCOUVEROn28-SEP-2023

Unfortunately still no update on BLS yet :(

Anyone in the same boat?

Reactions: Shail2233

myindia

Oct 16, 2018
My spouse also need to apply for OCI at Ottawa BLS. Are they providing any appointments or is it just walk in? If we walkin how long is the line? Has anyone gone there recently?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn28-SEP-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn28-SEP-2023
Document received AtVANCOUVEROn28-SEP-2023

Unfortunately still no update on BLS yet :(

Anyone in the same boat?
Update should be today evening or tomorrow morning . Did you called BLS and asked why don’t dispatched yet ? I would suggest you to call them .

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
My spouse also need to apply for OCI at Ottawa BLS. Are they providing any appointments or is it just walk in? If we walkin how long is the line? Has anyone gone there recently?
8-9 am timeslot they dont have any appointments. So they quickly process walkin. I would suggest go at 7 am. After ban I am not sure of the line. Before ban it was hardly 5 people standing at 8 am.

Reactions: myindia

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Here is the reply I got from frro. I did not ask for Canadians specifically and the visa part is still not crystal clear.

Sir/Madam,

01. As per Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) guidelines a grace period of three months (90 days) is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on Indian passport. For further clarification and fresh guidelines if any, in this regard you are advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

Regarding surrendering of passport, foreign national is advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

02. Further, as far as departure from India is concerned, any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application at https://indianfrro.gov.in. Further, if "Exit Permit" is issued, the foreign national must depart within the validity of the Exit Permit.

Note: Grant/denial of Exit Permit/ Visa related services is subject to submission of surrender certificate of Indian Passport, Indian voter identity card (if issued by the ECI), etc. as well as usual checks and verification.

03. A foreign national is not allowed to stay without a valid visa in the country and indulge in activity other than for which visa has been issued. Violators of visa rules will be prosecuted according to the Law of land. Hence, every foreign national is advised abide by the Law of the land and instructions / guidelines endorsed on the Indian Visa and adhere the same.

Regards,

Team Support

for FRRO, Delhi
Thank you, what are you inferring from this email?

I also received a reply from FRRO today -

"Sir/Madam,

You are advised to visit website : indianfrro.gov.in for your query.

Regards,
Team Support
Fort FRRO, Delhi"

The website indianfrro.gov.in says "Foreigners are advised to apply at least 2 weeks in advance." So, I suppose processing time is 2-3 weeks.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
Thank you, what are you inferring from this email?

I also received a reply from FRRO today -

"Sir/Madam,

You are advised to visit website : indianfrro.gov.in for your query.

Regards,
Team Support
Fort FRRO, Delhi"

The website indianfrro.gov.in says "Foreigners are advised to apply at least 2 weeks in advance." So, I suppose processing time is 2-3 weeks.
My understanding is that travelling within 3 months of acquiring another nationality is permitted and then we have to surrender and apply for exit permit to be able to leave India. What is not clear is the visa requirement once we surrender and if Canadians would be eligible if applied from India. There is a subtle hint though in the reply from frro that a visa may be required once you surrender.

".....any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application ......"

CABA

Jan 14, 2016
Question regarding partB oci online form
Have you/any member of your family applied for Overseas Citizen of India registration earlier? My child is OCI holder, should the answer be yes then?

samjj2

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
Hi,
Does anyone know if for foreign born spouse OCI also take between 6-8 weeks for processing and interview? Does it take longer??

Also, for a foreign spouse that has great grand father born in India but no proof of ppt or birth certificate, do you think an affidavit testified by the grandfather saying his father was born in Indian would be accepted to apply for OCI ? Does it have to be a birth certificate and a passport?

RuchiWalia

Oct 7, 2016
How do you know Date of ackn? I submitted application on Sep 27 (walkin BLS Edmonton) and staus on BLS site is undersprocess and on OCI site no records found :(

bbqfriday

Sep 25, 2023
Update should be today evening or tomorrow morning . Did you called BLS and asked why don’t dispatched yet ? I would suggest you to call them .
Yes I called them, no new information. They can only see the same status as us they don't have any internal portal where they update collections.
Hopefully this week.

kurtrules

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Question regarding partB oci online form
Have you/any member of your family applied for Overseas Citizen of India registration earlier? My child is OCI holder, should the answer be yes then?
Yes, it should be. You will also be asked to fill the ref no. and the date of application.

My daughter also got her OCI 2 years ago.

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
My understanding is that travelling within 3 months of acquiring another nationality is permitted and then we have to surrender and apply for exit permit to be able to leave India. What is not clear is the visa requirement once we surrender and if Canadians would be eligible if applied from India. There is a subtle hint though in the reply from frro that a visa may be required once you surrender.

".....any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application ......"
Yeah, that's what I am also getting. I don't think we will get a straight answer over email. Unless someone goes through the process, we will not know if it works. Can they hold us in India indefinitely? I mean, we are traveling to India legally. We are surrendering the passport on time. So, there has to be a way to travel back to Canada.