+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

bd2017

Mar 20, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
I have travel plans to India in December. With what’s going on, if I apply for OCI now, and they resume visa services - will I be able to apply for an evisa urgently while OCI is processing?

mtlcanada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Can you pls provide the checklist (if different from BLS website)
So, I am going send these docs.
1. checklist for OCI submission
2. Online OCI application form
3. Surrender certificate (Original)
4. Indian PP ( copy with cancelled page- self-signed)
5. Cit certificate (signed copy)
6. Canadian PP (signed copy)
7. Employment letter
8. Copy of internet bill for proof of address
9. Fees (2 DDs for postal applications)
10. Photo ( one 2x2 inches)
Please can someone confirm if this is correct. Let me know if I am missing something. (NO ORIGINALS INCLUDED EXCEPT ORIGINAL SURRENDER CERTIFICATE)
Thanks!

Last edited:

RedWhiteRed

Star Member
Apr 4, 2023
Postal application to Brampton:
Application Sent: 18 Sep, 2023
Delivered by Purolator: 19 Sep, 2023
BLS Confirmed Receipt: 20 Sep, 2023
BLS Under Process: 22 Sep, 2023

spartanjsv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06--2016
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Med's Done....
22-06-2017
I have travel plans to India in December. With what’s going on, if I apply for OCI now, and they resume visa services - will I be able to apply for an evisa urgently while OCI is processing?
Yes. Both are independent

spartanjsv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06--2016
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Med's Done....
22-06-2017
Application submitted on 11th Sep, Toronto - walkin
Date Of Acknowledgment22-SEP-2023
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI Application StatusUNDER-PROCESS
Was waiting for your update. I submitted mine on 13 Sept

Bani_sg

Jan 2, 2019
1. 90day/3 month grace period - https://indianembassynetherlands.gov.in/page/surrender/

Look at point number 4 - "There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel." You can find this same line on Ministry of External Affairs Website as well - https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005

About Canada exit - I don't think Canada puts an exit stamp, but I could be wrong.

2. Secondly, will Immigration in India allow to board a flight to U.S. on a Canadian Passport? - I have a US tourist visa on my Indian passport. I am hoping I can use that.

3. Lastly, won't it cause any problems when surrendering the Indian Passport as we won't have an exit entry on the Indian Passport ? - I'll exit on my India passport. I don't know if there could be a problem when applying for OCI though. As my travel history will show that I traveled on Indian passport after obtaining Canadian passport.
Hello! Do you know if the grace period of 90 days counts even AFTER you've surrendered the passport? (I'm within the 90 days but my passport says cancelled). I applied for my e-visa this week but I don't think I'll get it and I have a trip to India planned next month

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hello! Do you know if the grace period of 90 days counts even AFTER you've surrendered the passport? (I'm within the 90 days but my passport says cancelled). I applied for my e-visa this week but I don't think I'll get it and I have a trip to India planned next month
Hi, sorry I am not sure about that. But on here it says that it is illegal and there could be penalties - https://www.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/india/united-states-of-america/renunciation-of-indian-citizenship/

Spaturkar

Jan 14, 2019
Hi all,

I am about to apply for OCI and have a question. Name of my Spouse on my passport is her first name and my last name.

However, her name on marriage certificate is her last name before marriage. She renewed her passport and kept the last name as it was before her marriage and did not update it but added my full name under her passport.

So while filling up the OCI application, how should I enter her name on the application? Will it be the way it's written on her passport or my passport? Will it make a difference?

spartanjsv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06--2016
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Med's Done....
22-06-2017
Hi all,

I am about to apply for OCI and have a question. Name of my Spouse on my passport is her first name and my last name.

However, her name on marriage certificate is her last name before marriage. She renewed her passport and kept the last name as it was before her marriage and did not update it but added my full name under her passport.

So while filling up the OCI application, how should I enter her name on the application? Will it be the way it's written on her passport or my passport? Will it make a difference?
Had this issue with my moms name. Need an affidavit with what the actual name is and how you want it to be corrected once for all. They ask your spouse's passport copy, affidavit for the name change in your OCI/Consulate records as per her passport. Affidavit had to be notarized and addressed to Consulate general.

If you don't want it to be corrected, and you guys dont apply together, just go with what's in your passport and that will suffice. If you're submitting her passport copy for any reason, then have the affidavit with correction handy

spartanjsv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06--2016
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Med's Done....
22-06-2017
With passport cancelled and hole punched, it's as good as an archive. You can't travel using that anymore.

Bani_sg

Jan 2, 2019
With passport cancelled and hole punched, it's as good as an archive. You can't travel using that anymore.
Yeah I figured - I just hoped they would make an exception and let me enter but not worth the risk.

Has anyone else applied for E-visa this week and heard back at all? Are they rejecting them or just not processing anything?

spartanjsv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06--2016
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Med's Done....
22-06-2017
  • Sad
Reactions: softwaretesting
May 3, 2019
Toronto
Yeah I figured - I just hoped they would make an exception and let me enter but not worth the risk.

Has anyone else applied for E-visa this week and heard back at all? Are they rejecting them or just not processing anything?
Applied for E-visa on Tuesday, before all hell broke loose. Nothing from their end. usually it takes just 24-48h to get approval visa email, nothing as of today :(