+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

kadir.ayubi

Star Member
Jun 26, 2014
1. 90day/3 month grace period - https://indianembassynetherlands.gov.in/page/surrender/

Look at point number 4 - "There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel." You can find this same line on Ministry of External Affairs Website as well - https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005

About Canada exit - I don't think Canada puts an exit stamp, but I could be wrong.

2. Secondly, will Immigration in India allow to board a flight to U.S. on a Canadian Passport? - I have a US tourist visa on my Indian passport. I am hoping I can use that.

3. Lastly, won't it cause any problems when surrendering the Indian Passport as we won't have an exit entry on the Indian Passport ? - I'll exit on my India passport. I don't know if there could be a problem when applying for OCI though. As my travel history will show that I traveled on Indian passport after obtaining Canadian passport.
Thank you! Appreciate your response. The Grace Period question is answered. I am still a bit skeptical about the other two questions, lets see if anyone on the form can shed some more light (also a call out if someone doesn't happen to have US B1/B2 Visa).

spartanjsv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06--2016
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Med's Done....
22-06-2017
Thank you. Wouldn't it create a problem if I show my Canadian passport in India?
Why would you? Just show your US ticket and US visa on Indian pp. You'd show your Canadian PP in US POE.

spartanjsv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06--2016
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Med's Done....
22-06-2017
Well, this sounds interesting. Are you really sure that there is a 90 Days/3 Months grace period? Any source that you can share please?

Plus, if there is in fact a grace period, won't it cause any issues at the Canadian side, given that there won't be an exit entry on the Canadian Passport?

Secondly, will Immigration in India allow to board a flight to U.S. on a Canadian Passport?

Lastly, won't it cause any problems when surrendering the Indian Passport as we won't have an exit entry on the Indian Passport ?(when exiting India on Canadian Passport)

Just curious as I have a travel planned too in December and my Oath is on October 4th, 2023

One of the sources - https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005#:~:text=6.,acquisition of a foreign passport.

There will never be an exit stamp on any passport ever. There will only be an entry stamp.

One will board a US flight on Indian passport not Canadian.

Canadian passport is showed in US to Canada POE i.e. after landing in US. (Or) one can just drive to Canada from US and wave canadian passport.

Reactions: kadir.ayubi

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Why would you? Just show your US ticket and US visa on Indian pp. You'd show your Canadian PP in US POE.
Okay, thank you. It's just last time I traveled from India to US, I had to show my Canadian PR Card.

I was traveling from India to US, staying in US for a month and then traveling to Canada. I did not have a return ticket from US to India. When traveling on tourist visa, airlines in India do not allow you to board without a proof that you'll depart from US. Since, I did not have a return ticket, I had to show my Canadian PR Card as proof.

spartanjsv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06--2016
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Med's Done....
22-06-2017
Okay, thank you. It's just last time I traveled from India to US, I had to show my Canadian PR Card.

I was traveling from India to US, staying in US for a month and then traveling to Canada. I did not have a return ticket from US to India. When traveling on tourist visa, airlines in India do not allow you to board without a proof that you'll depart from US. Since, I did not have a return ticket, I had to show my Canadian PR Card as proof.
I'm hearing this for the first time...may be a airport/airline specific thing. I always used to book one-way ticket to to my parents when I used to stay in US before moving to Canada.

zb134

Oct 20, 2010
Thanks for the update. They didn't give you a timeline for processing the OCI? On their website it says minimum 6-8 weeks but that is minimum.

I hope you get your e-visa as you rightfully submitted before the ban. Everything is so confusing and a unnecessary pain for people who have travel plans and emergencies.
Thanks, just got out. Said approx 2 months.

Reactions: spartanjsv

mtlcanada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Guys
BLS Ottawa still accepting postal applications. I will send it tomorrow and might reach there by Monday. I don’t want to send and let my PP sit there not moving as I will travel in Jan.
with what’s going on are they accepting/processing OCI or it’s stopped as well.
Thanks

zb134

Oct 20, 2010
How to get the appointment? Walk-in acceptable or no?
No, unfortunately I don't think walk in will work unless you line up really early morning, and even then it's just a chance.

Keep checking the website and take any availability for any service. They don't really check.

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
I'm hearing this for the first time...may be a airport/airline specific thing. I always used to book one-way ticket to to my parents when I used to stay in US before moving to Canada.
Yeah, it is absolutely an airline and the agent at the counter thing. Worst case, I'll just book a flight from US to Canada and show it as my proof of my departure.

sasharma25

Sep 16, 2023
Thanks for the update. They didn't give you a timeline for processing the OCI? On their website it says minimum 6-8 weeks but that is minimum.

I hope you get your e-visa as you rightfully submitted before the ban. Everything is so confusing and a unnecessary pain for people who have travel plans and emergencies.
Fwiw, I'm at the bls in Toronto and they are taking oci applications. No idea on processing time though.

I had applied for evisa on Sep 19 , no progress on it though. I was hoping it would get processed because it went through before Sep 21 but I guess they have stopped all visa related activities.
Can anyone share if new OCI applications are still being considered at BLS Ottawa? I applied on Aug 9; date of ack: 16th Aug; still under process. Not sure with this crazy ban now, are these applications on hold or they are still processing the ones already applied? Any actual info?

sasharma25

Sep 16, 2023
Hello All,

Is there anybody over here who applied to OCI from Montreal (HCI, Ottawa) and awaiting ?
Just wanted know about timeline, Because I have applied on date: 11-AUG-2023 and its shows on OCI website as Date of Acknowledge is: 18-AUG-2023.

Please share your timeline if possible guys thanks.
I applied in person at BLS Montreal , which falls in HCI Ottawa jurisdiction.
date of application: Aug 9,2023
Date of acknowledgement: Aug 16, 2023

MDP we know when it can be expected?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Guys
BLS Ottawa still accepting postal applications. I will send it tomorrow and might reach there by Monday. I don’t want to send and let my PP sit there not moving as I will travel in Jan.
with what’s going on are they accepting/processing OCI or it’s stopped as well.
Thanks
Which passport are you sending with your application? As postal application does not have any requirement for original doc.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Yeah, it is absolutely an airline and the agent at the counter thing. Worst case, I'll just book a flight from US to Canada and show it as my proof of my departure.
The only issue is the exit immigration in India. If you are able to get thru the next part should be smooth.

somak2001

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
I am going to send the OCI documents today via Purolator. can someone tell me what are the documents that they sent for OCI adult application? (If readily available)

I followed the checklist, but I have read that one needs to send more documents too.