FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06--2016
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Med's Done....
22-06-2017
Hi, I received my oath date Oct 11, 2023. I have to travel to India on Dec 1, 2023, returning on Dec 31, 2023.

My plan before the visa ban was to follow these steps -
1. Take the oath on Oct 11
2. Get Canadian passport by first week of November
3. Apply for Indian e-visa, which would have taken maximum 5 days
4. Travel to India using e-visa
5. Apply for OCI after returning to Canada

But now I can't apply for the e-visa. I am not sure if OCI services are still active. Even if OCI services are active, I don't think I'll receive OCI within my timeline.

What can I do in this scenario?
- I suppose there is a three month grace period for continuing to use the Indian passport?
- So, can I travel to India using Indian passport after getting the Canadian passport, since it is within the 3 month grace period?
- Which passport do I use while returning to Canada?
- My Canadian passport will not have an India entry stamp. So, will the immigration officer not allow me to exit India? I also have a US tourist visa. I could travel to US using my Indian passport and then travel to Canada using my Canadian passport.
- Will it impact my OCI application later, as I would have traveled using Indian passport after acquiring a Canadian passport?

If anyone has an immigration lawyer who can answer these questions, I'd be happy to connect with them.

Thank you.
2. You can get passport within 2days if you choose expedited process. I got my cert and passport within a week.

Once you get your passport, yes you can fly to India on indian passport. ( 3mo grace period works. yes). On the way back fly to US. Drive to Canada and show your Canadian passport.

shubham88

Star Member
Sep 20, 2019
that's is not mandatory, i attached my employer letter and took two payslips to BLS, to provide to them in case they ask, but they didn't ask anything about employer letter or paystubs
Thanks Rahugu, One more last question, at main application both the parents can sign in second section. Who need to sign at the photocopies for minor application?

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
2. You can get passport within 2days if you choose expedited process. I got my cert and passport within a week.

Once you get your passport, yes you can fly to India on indian passport. ( 3mo grace period works. yes). On the way back fly to US. Drive to Canada and show your Canadian passport.
Thank you. That is exactly what I was thinking as well. While boarding in India for US, will it be a problem because I'll only have a one-way ticket to US?

I have traveled to United States on tourist visa from India before. At that time, since I had a one-way ticket to US, I had to show them my Canadian PR card to prove my departure from US.

RickC

Sep 21, 2023
Status for OCI is Counter delivery to BLS center after OCI stamping since 14th September. Kind of worried now if they have held the deliveries too. Spoke to BLS Brampton and they still haven’t received it.

spartanjsv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06--2016
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Med's Done....
22-06-2017
Thank you. That is exactly what I was thinking as well. While boarding in India for US, will it be a problem because I'll only have a one-way ticket to US?

I have traveled to United States on tourist visa from India before. At that time, since I had a one-way ticket to US, I had to show them my Canadian PR card to prove my departure from US.
I'd Book two seperate tickets IND-US and US-CAN and say transit. And you will show Canadian PP instead of PR this time.

Mbutterfly123

Sep 22, 2023
Someone please advise: We have tickets booked for travel to India Dec 18th and I was planning to apply for visa for both my minor kids(we parents are Indian citizens on PR). Now that the visa services are suspended our only option is OCI. Is there enough time if I apply for their OCI now? What is the timeline like for minor's OCI? Obviously there are no appointments available for OCI so Is walk-in application faster than the Purolator??

kadir.ayubi

Star Member
Jun 26, 2014

Well, this sounds interesting. Are you really sure that there is a 90 Days/3 Months grace period? Any source that you can share please?

Plus, if there is in fact a grace period, won't it cause any issues at the Canadian side, given that there won't be an exit entry on the Canadian Passport?

Secondly, will Immigration in India allow to board a flight to U.S. on a Canadian Passport?

Lastly, won't it cause any problems when surrendering the Indian Passport as we won't have an exit entry on the Indian Passport ?(when exiting India on Canadian Passport)

Just curious as I have a travel planned too in December and my Oath is on October 4th, 2023

zb134

Oct 20, 2010
Fwiw, I'm at the bls in Toronto and they are taking oci applications. No idea on processing time though.

I had applied for evisa on Sep 19 , no progress on it though. I was hoping it would get processed because it went through before Sep 21 but I guess they have stopped all visa related activities.

Mbutterfly123

Sep 22, 2023
Fwiw, I'm at the bls in Toronto and they are taking oci applications. No idea on processing time though.

I had applied for evisa on Sep 19 , no progress on it though. I was hoping it would get processed because it went through before Sep 21 but I guess they have stopped all visa related activities.
Thanks for the update. They didn't give you a timeline for processing the OCI? On their website it says minimum 6-8 weeks but that is minimum.

I hope you get your e-visa as you rightfully submitted before the ban. Everything is so confusing and a unnecessary pain for people who have travel plans and emergencies.

RaghuRam123

Star Member
Nov 14, 2016
Thanks Rahugu, One more last question, at main application both the parents can sign in second section. Who need to sign at the photocopies for minor application?
we signed as below
signed individual documents belongs to which parent ,
marriage certificate,- both parents
baby certificates - both parents

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Well, this sounds interesting. Are you really sure that there is a 90 Days/3 Months grace period? Any source that you can share please?

Plus, if there is in fact a grace period, won't it cause any issues at the Canadian side, given that there won't be an exit entry on the Canadian Passport?

Secondly, will Immigration in India allow to board a flight to U.S. on a Canadian Passport?

Lastly, won't it cause any problems when surrendering the Indian Passport as we won't have an exit entry on the Indian Passport ?(when exiting India on Canadian Passport)

Just curious as I have a travel planned too in December and my Oath is on October 4th, 2023
1. 90day/3 month grace period - https://indianembassynetherlands.gov.in/page/surrender/

Look at point number 4 - "There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel." You can find this same line on Ministry of External Affairs Website as well - https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005

About Canada exit - I don't think Canada puts an exit stamp, but I could be wrong.

2. Secondly, will Immigration in India allow to board a flight to U.S. on a Canadian Passport? - I have a US tourist visa on my Indian passport. I am hoping I can use that.

3. Lastly, won't it cause any problems when surrendering the Indian Passport as we won't have an exit entry on the Indian Passport ? - I'll exit on my India passport. I don't know if there could be a problem when applying for OCI though. As my travel history will show that I traveled on Indian passport after obtaining Canadian passport.

Reactions: kadir.ayubi

Saumil311

Sep 16, 2021

How to get the appointment? Walk-in acceptable or no?

anncar

Sep 22, 2023
OCI Application status: (4 Different People) 1 walk-in on Aug 29th at bls brampton and 3 postal on Aug 18 brampton All 4 application had same Date Of Acknowledgment

Date Of Acknowledgment01-SEP-2023
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn22-SEP-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn22-SEP-2023
Document received AtTORONTOOn22-SEP-2023