+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

mtlcanada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
No. 1 DD in favour of HCI for 345$ and other in favour of BLS for BLS fees for each applicant. Others can correct me if this in in correct.
P.S: I did in person OCI application
Thank you!!
Are they still accepting applications due to ongoing issues?
I wanted to courier this weekend.
And, how long does it take for processing in Ottawa office.

Reactions: desmat

samdevban

Apr 21, 2023
7 weeks already done and still its "UNDER-PROCESS" . Isn't it going too slow?
Yeah. I will try to raise a query to HCI Ottawa if they can assist. But from what I saw in this thread is many of the people got their OCI within a matter of few weeks. Fingers crossed. Will share the update.

May 3, 2019
Toronto
They dont have any information about whether OCI applications can be submitted in person at a center on their website. Does the photo mean that we cannot book appointment and visit the centre to submit the application? I booked a flight to India for November 14th end of last month (got a good deal, tickets were on sale), and applied for e-VISA on Tuesday before the drama broke out. I am not even sure if they will process the visa. I just applied for OCI but I dont think I will be getting it before my india trip. Hence the e-VISA application as back up. Looks like I am screwed. Should I just cancel my tickets, wait for OCI and then go to India? Kinda stressed about the whole thing.

harryguns

Sep 27, 2019
They dont have any information about whether OCI applications can be submitted in person at a center on their website. Does the photo mean that we cannot book appointment and visit the centre to submit the application? I booked a flight to India for November 14th end of last month (got a good deal, tickets were on sale), and applied for e-VISA on Tuesday before the drama broke out. I am not even sure if they will process the visa. I just applied for OCI but I dont think I will be getting it before my india trip. Hence the e-VISA application as back up. Looks like I am screwed. Should I just cancel my tickets, wait for OCI and then go to India? Kinda stressed about the whole thing.
It seems there are applicants who submitted their OCI application yesterday. I personally saw them posting it on FB group.

If you have already submittied the OCI application, you have approx 7 weeks until you fly to India (from today). Given the current political relations between India and Canada, I would expect a further delay in application processing. I feel it would be too tight.

May 3, 2019
Toronto
It seems there are applicants who submitted their OCI application yesterday. I personally saw them posting it on FB group.

If you have already submittied the OCI application, you have approx 7 weeks until you fly to India (from today). Given the current political relations between India and Canada, I would expect a further delay in application processing. I feel it would be too tight.
thank you for the input.

mtlcanada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Can I still send my OCI application to BLS or they are not accepting it?
I am planning to travel in Jan and will need my Canadian passport.
By the way, does anyone know how long it will take to get OCI processed at Ottawa office.
Thanks

surajdarra

Sep 22, 2023
Answer

1) There is a fee of $345 payable to Consulate General and $7.4 processing plus courier charge payable to BLS International
YES Correct

I have opted for drop off service and paid $30 something online. As I have already paid for drop off do I still need to get a demand draft for $7.4 for processing charge?

No you need to create a second seperate demand draft for $7.4 for BLS

2) Can I just provide self attested photo copies and no original supporting documents- I see a few people mentioning that they did the same. Have people got OCI cards by doing this?

You need to provide self attested copies as well as original Canadian Passport + Indian Cancelled Passport ( as per there checklist, failing to do so is adding on a risk of your application getting returned)- They will send this back to you the originals within 15days while the rest of application remains in process

3) I missed uploading marriage certificate online thinking it was optional. My root to OCI is self and I am not applying on the basis of spouse's Indian citizenship. Do I still need to recreate the online application and upload this doc or is it just ok if I send photocopy of marriage certificate

That's fine, no need to upload, but attach a photocopy in paper application

4) I didn't receive any proof for drop off service. Do they still get to know that I have paid?

No, that's for the Purolator charges, not them ( there fee is $7.4 on demand draft)
Hi, with regards to point #2, I know the checklist clearly says to enclose ORIGINAL, however, I contacted BLS on Wed Sep 19, 2023 and they specifically told me twice that I must not send the originals and that the originals is only for those who are coming in for in person appointments. So, in accordance with their instruction, I will be submitting WITHOUT originals today and I'll see what happens... thanks.

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hi, I received my oath date Oct 11, 2023. I have to travel to India on Dec 1, 2023, returning on Dec 31, 2023.

My plan before the visa ban was to follow these steps -
1. Take the oath on Oct 11
2. Get Canadian passport by first week of November
3. Apply for Indian e-visa, which would have taken maximum 5 days
4. Travel to India using e-visa
5. Apply for OCI after returning to Canada

But now I can't apply for the e-visa. I am not sure if OCI services are still active. Even if OCI services are active, I don't think I'll receive OCI within my timeline.

What can I do in this scenario?
- I suppose there is a three month grace period for continuing to use the Indian passport?
- So, can I travel to India using Indian passport after getting the Canadian passport, since it is within the 3 month grace period?
- Which passport do I use while returning to Canada?
- My Canadian passport will not have an India entry stamp. So, will the immigration officer not allow me to exit India? I also have a US tourist visa. I could travel to US using my Indian passport and then travel to Canada using my Canadian passport.
- Will it impact my OCI application later, as I would have traveled using Indian passport after acquiring a Canadian passport?

If anyone has an immigration lawyer who can answer these questions, I'd be happy to connect with them.

Thank you.