+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sujaysuresh27

Star Member
May 10, 2023
Anyone know if I can apply for Indian Surrender Certificate and OCI at the same time?
Or will I have to first apply for my Indian passport surrender, receive surrender certificate and only after that apply for OCI?

Also, should I walk-in to the Indian Consulate General or to BLS to apply for these?

Thanks in advance:)

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Anyone know if I can apply for Indian Surrender Certificate and OCI at the same time?
Or will I have to first apply for my Indian passport surrender, receive surrender certificate and only after that apply for OCI?

Also, should I walk-in to the Indian Consulate General or to BLS to apply for these?

Thanks in advance:)
Surrender and then OCI. Walk-in or by appointment to BLS to apply.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I submitted my OCI application on Aug 4th. ( walk in ) Vancouver jurisdiction

My status still show Uderprocess on BLS website

And OCI website it says NO SUCH Record

how long it will take to change the status ?
Postal application, "processing at consulate" as per BLS status on Aug 4. No such record found on govt side.

letitsnownow

Aug 3, 2023
Postal application, "processing at consulate" as per BLS status on Aug 4. No such record found on govt side.
Similar ^
OCI application on Aug 5th. ( walk in - Brampton BLS)
Status still shows "Processing at Consulate General" on BLS website
OCI website it says NO SUCH Record
I think, I read in the previous posts that it could take upto 8-10 business days to reflect application status on OCI site.

novoiceplus

Star Member
May 4, 2020
I submitted my OCI application on Aug 4th. ( walk in ) Vancouver jurisdiction

My status still show Uderprocess on BLS website

And OCI website it says NO SUCH Record

how long it will take to change the status ?
Considering 7th and 15th as two holidays you are still within the 10 business day timeline, I am in the same situtation applied on 4th aug and its just been 5 business day till today 15th Aug we still have another 5 business days

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Considering 7th and 15th as two holidays you are still within the 10 business day timeline, I am in the same situtation applied on 4th aug and its just been 5 business day till today 15th Aug we still have another 5 business days
What location of BLS you applied?

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Can you tell when you sent documents and which BLS ? After how long were you able to track after sending?
July 28: Mailed to Brampton via Purolator
July 31: Received by BLS
Aug 1: BLS confirmed receipt
Aug 3: BLS status "Under Process"
Aug 4: BLS status "Processing at consulate general".

Still cannot track on govt website.

Guptavv

Oct 15, 2017
NA
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
21-07-2017
Doc's Request.
13-10-2017
AOR Received.
06-11-2017
IELTS Request
10-07-2017
Med's Request
25-10-2017
Passport Req..
04-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2018
LANDED..........
04-06-2018
I am looking for some information about applying for OCI

1. Do we need to send original Canadian passport and Citizenship certificate or will copy of the same suffice in case of mail in application?
2. For Professional Details of applicant - is there a standard format I can use ? I am self employed so HR letter are not available, plus my spouse is also self employed
3. Any idea what are current processing timelines
4. Advice on should the application be sent by mail or is booking an appointment a better choice ?
Thanks for the help with the process

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am looking for some information about applying for OCI

1. Do we need to send original Canadian passport and Citizenship certificate or will copy of the same suffice in case of mail in application?
2. For Professional Details of applicant - is there a standard format I can use ? I am self employed so HR letter are not available, plus my spouse is also self employed
3. Any idea what are current processing timelines
4. Advice on should the application be sent by mail or is booking an appointment a better choice ?
Thanks for the help with the process
-Do not send any originals when you are applying for OCI by postal application. Only send self attested signed copy of supporting documents along with application form, photograph and draft
-Professional details of the applicant document should contain start date, title and basic responsibilities. No need to mention salary/perk details
-6-8 weeks if you are applying within Toronto jurisdiction plus additional week for postal application
-Ideal would be in person (thats just my opinion). Depends on how far you are from the BLS office etc. Atleast in person submission you will come to know at the counter itself, if the info you have filled up is Ok or any additional document is required or not

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
-Do not send any originals when you are applying for OCI by postal application. Only send self attested signed copy of supporting documents along with application form, photograph and draft
-Professional details of the applicant document should contain start date, title and basic responsibilities. No need to mention salary/perk details
-6-8 weeks if you are applying within Toronto jurisdiction plus additional week for postal application
-Ideal would be in person (thats just my opinion). Depends on how far you are from the BLS office etc. Atleast in person submission you will come to know at the counter itself, if the info you have filled up is Ok or any additional document is required or not
If they do want an additional document, will they request it, or would it be rejected?

I answered yes to previous name change but didn't include an affidavit as my Indian and Canadian passport match. Worried they may not like this.