+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

kbi911

Feb 25, 2019
Docs for Adults: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10335797
Docs for Kids: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10374728

payment of $345/OCI application has to be made by draft if applying within Toronto jurisdiction. This draft has to be made for Consulate General of India, Toronto
Rest of the payment can be done by exact cash or debit if you are applying in person
Thank you, application was done in Person at Brampton BLS. one DD of 345x4 = 1380 and BLS charges paid via debit card. however, they asked to have marriage certificate (our i.e. parents) uploaded in all the applications and did charge for xerox of 1 page x 4 - $2 for it for us. Rest all process was smooth and they were cooperative and guiding well.

Reactions: abbas.pasha

write2rtd

Apr 4, 2016
Canada
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
28-02-2018
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
Med's Request
04-04-2019
Med's Done....
16-04-2019
Passport Req..
18-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2019
LANDED..........
30-05-2019
Hi,
Please advise.
On the OCI application it asks "Have you/any member of your family applied for Overseas Citizen of India registration earlier?".
Do I mention the details of my siblings?
Thanks so much for your help.

HMO

Jun 18, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2014
Doc's Request.
------
Nomination.....
21-01-2015
AOR Received.
26-02-2015
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
File Transfer...
process started on 21 April 2015 and SLU 24 April 2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
21-05-2015 & TLU 27 May 2015
Interview........
------
Passport Req..
DM 06 Aug 2015 & PPR 06 Aug 2015 , PP submitted 10 Aug 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Passport collected on 20 Aug 2015 & Visa issue 04 Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Jan/Feb 2016
Application Submitted - July 8th 2023
In Transit from BLS to Consulate: July 10th 2023
BLS Status - Processing at Consulate General - July 10th 2023
Date of Acknowledgment: July 17th 2023
Original documents Received : July 20th 2023 (they sent surrender certificate and original photo 2nd copy back)
Document Printing Status: Processed : August 7th 2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi : August 7th 2023
Document received at (TORONTO) : August 7th 2023
BLS Website Update : Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping: 8th August 2023

Updates
BLS Website Update : (Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping) : 9th August 2023
Original documents Received : July 20th 2023 (they sent surrender certificate and original photo 2nd copy back)
BLS Website Update : Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping: 8th August 2023
BLS Website Update : (Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping) : 9th August 2023

UPDATES:
OCI RECEIVED: August 10th 2023 (still BLS website status is same).

Thank you all. Specially Mr. Abbas. Pasha (Champion Member)

TheCanadianBeast

Apr 20, 2023

UPDATES:
OCI RECEIVED: August 10th 2023 (still BLS website status is same).

Thank you all. Specially Mr. Abbas. Pasha (Champion Member)

Hi Buddy,

Was yours a postal application? If yes, did you pay again for the OCI delivery as your return label had been used to deliver your surrender certi and passport?

@HMO

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
@abbas.pasha Can you please tell me what we have to fill in National Identification Number in OCI form ? Also what is size and dimensions of picture we have ti submit in OCI online form ?

Last edited:

freedom104

Aug 8, 2023
Just the Indian passport details are mention in the surrender certificate

SURRENDER CERTIFICATE

It is certified that passport with booklet number Rxxxxxx, issued to Mr/Ms ABC DEF, has been surrendered on 06/1/2023 at "CONSULATE GENERAL OF INDIA, TORONTO, CANADA" by the applicant. The official reason recorded for Surrender of the Passport is: "Surrender of passport due to
renunciation of Indian citizenship and acquisition of citizenship of another country by the applicant". The surrendered passport is hereby returned to the holder after cancellation.

You can get a notarized affidavit which will confirm that both documents belong to you
Thank you very much.

I managed to resolve this issue to a certain extent, and I believe sharing this information could be helpful to others facing a similar situation.
After obtaining my Canadian passport, I encountered a situation where I utilized my Indian passport to enter a third country. This was due to the connection of my PR card with my Indian passport. Consequently, the third country authorities sought clarification to ascertain whether the Indian passport holder and the Canadian passport holder were the same individual, given that I hadn't used my Canadian passport for entry. To address this, I took a brief trip out of the third country using my Indian passport and re-entered using my Canadian passport. This action provided them with both passport details and fingerprint data, thereby establishing the equivalence of both identities.
The Indian embassy within this third country advised me to promptly surrender my Indian citizenship and passport. Additionally, they cautioned against further usage of the Indian passport, as continuing to do so could result in fines based on the frequency of usage. Once my PR card details in the third country are updated, the need to employ my Indian passport will diminish. It's important to note that obtaining citizenship or a passport from another country does not automatically lead to the cessation of Indian citizenship or passport status. The discontinuation occurs only upon application for the same

Last edited:

Bob_pat

Jul 30, 2023
I have submitted application for re-new of OCI - miscellaneous services ( 20 years - renewal of Canadian passport). It’s been 3 weeks … on OCI site status is under process acknowledged on 27th July
I would like to know how many weeks it will take to get OCI.
Thank you

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
@abbas.pasha Can you please tell me what we have to fill in National Identification Number in OCI form ? Also what is size and dimensions of picture we have ti submit in OCI online form ?
National Identification Number - Leave it blank

OCI Image Upload/ Re-upload: Prerequisites https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome
  • The height and width of the Applicant Photo must be equal.
  • The minimum dimensions are 200 pixels (width) x 200 pixels (height).
  • The maximum dimensions are 3500 pixels (width) x 3500 pixels (height).
  • The height and width of the Signature Photo must have aspect ratio 1:3.
  • The minimum dimensions are 200 pixels (width) x 67 pixels (height).
  • The maximum dimensions are 3500 pixels (width) x 2500 pixels (height).

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you very much.

I managed to resolve this issue to a certain extent, and I believe sharing this information could be helpful to others facing a similar situation.
After obtaining my Canadian passport, I encountered a situation where I utilized my Indian passport to enter a third country. This was due to the connection of my PR card with my Indian passport. Consequently, the third country authorities sought clarification to ascertain whether the Indian passport holder and the Canadian passport holder were the same individual, given that I hadn't used my Canadian passport for entry. To address this, I took a brief trip out of the third country using my Indian passport and re-entered using my Canadian passport. This action provided them with both passport details and fingerprint data, thereby establishing the equivalence of both identities.
The Indian embassy within this third country advised me to promptly surrender my Indian citizenship and passport. Additionally, they cautioned against further usage of the Indian passport, as continuing to do so could result in fines based on the frequency of usage. Once my PR card details in the third country are updated, the need to employ my Indian passport will diminish. It's important to note that obtaining citizenship or a passport from another country does not automatically lead to the cessation of Indian citizenship or passport status. The discontinuation occurs only upon application for the same
All I can say dont try and be an Akshay Kumar in Khatron ke Khiladi

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
What is the penalty for traveling on Indian passport after 3 months of acquiring Canadian citizenship? We visited USA for 1 day trip recently. There is no stamp on the passport but the i94 online has the entries.

Additionally, the Indian citizenship surrender application does not ask for travel details and no provision to pay penalty along with application. How does the penalty process work? Will the consulate contact us if we need to pay the penalty?

Bob_pat

Jul 30, 2023
I have submitted application for re-new of OCI - miscellaneous services ( 20 years - renewal of Canadian passport). It’s been 3 weeks … on OCI site status is under process acknowledged on 27th July
I would like to know how many weeks it will take to get OCI.
Thank you

freedom104

Aug 8, 2023
What is the penalty for traveling on Indian passport after 3 months of acquiring Canadian citizenship? We visited USA for 1 day trip recently. There is no stamp on the passport but the i94 online has the entries.

Additionally, the Indian citizenship surrender application does not ask for travel details and no provision to pay penalty along with application. How does the penalty process work? Will the consulate contact us if we need to pay the penalty?
I undertook a single journey within three months of acquiring Canadian citizenship while using my Indian passport. I intend to surrender the Indian passport, which bears the relevant stamp. It's my assumption that a penalty might still be imposed, as the three-month rule has not been explicitly communicated. Interestingly, there remains a misconception among some individuals that obtaining Canadian citizenship instantaneously invalidates the Indian passport, which is not accurate. I am curious to observe how this situation unfolds