+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Not really and SC or OCI topic but folks in ON please make sure you get your immigration status updated on the OHIP by visiting Service Ontario location.
Take your original Citizenship Certificate, OHIP card and Driver's License (or any other proof like Photo ID or the Canadian Passport).
There is no fee involved and you do not need to fill out the form.
One parent can do that for their children as well under 16. You cannot do it on behalf of your spouse.

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Not really and SC or OCI topic but folks in ON please make sure you get your immigration status updated on the OHIP by visiting Service Ontario location.
Take your original Citizenship Certificate, OHIP card and Driver's License (or any other proof like Photo ID or the Canadian Passport).
There is no fee involved and you do not need to fill out the form.
One parent can do that for their children as well under 16. You cannot do it on behalf of your spouse.
Thank you for this..I was asked this question by a friend a few days ago and I ignorantly said no update is required..lol.

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
I submitted my OCI application at BLS Brampton this morning and had a positive experience. The staff reviewing my application looked like someone new to BLS game and didn't charge me anything extra other than BLS processing fee. No issues with any documents or the application form. They did not retain any original documents either.
Overall, the submission was quick as it took me 10 minutes from my arrival time. Would anytime recommend Brampton location compared to Toronto one.
Similar experience for me too this morning at BLS Brampton. I am sure we would have been there at the same time lol (I had an appointment at 8 am).

I took 2 separate appointments for me and wife as mentioned on the BLS website. The security guard did ask me for both the appointment letters and told us that only one of us can enter the BLS office. This kinda confirms that one person from a family can apply for all.

No originals were requested to be taken by them, not even the surrender certificate. The person behind the counter only checked my cancelled indian passport. Everything else they only checked the attested copies and verified the information on the application form was accurate. I had taken photos on my camera and printed it at Walmart. There were no questions about it and they accepted it with no issues. They only took one photo btw and not two as I was expecting. Paid 2 X 345$ via DD and 2 X 8$ BLS fee + 2 X 30$ Purolator fee via debit card for our two applications. I live more than an hour from Brampton so Purolator drop off is much more convenient for me. Took a total of 20 mins to verify mine and my wife's application and I was out by 8.20 am.

Surprisingly it was a great experience. Maybe someone from this forum has complained recently about all the crap they pull on the applicants and maybe they have been asked to be more professional lol.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
What I noticed is now BLS knows people are posting a LOT of negative reviews about them on google. So they insist you post their review on google as well they ask you to send an email of the review to one MEA email ID and one BLS Email ID. Apparently someone higher up made this process to counter the negative reviews. Or who knows, the people posting the reviews are more than happy to pay courier charges, copying charges, form filling charges. They just don't want to make multiple trips there and for them, these charges are not an excuse to give negative feedback. Plus BLS plays with the mentality of customers. You as a customer won't want to take a chance with your application, if you decided to leave a negative review. I changed my review after leaving the desk :)

If only google allowed temp emails to leave reviews for any location, I'd have built a BOT to make sure they are always 1/5 stars even after 10000 reviews LOL

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020
I also did not realized it until yesterday when I went to renew my DL and OHIP at Service Ontario :D
I renewed my DL last week online and was not asked anything related to this :)

I will update these now when I go to renew my OHIP(if it cannot be done online).

BTW, does it even matter if the status if updated or not?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I renewed my DL last week online and was not asked anything related to this :)

I will update these now when I go to renew my OHIP(if it cannot be done online).

BTW, does it even matter if the status if updated or not?
It is not a pressing topic but to keep your documentation up-to date this will be handy This is only for OHIP
Not in the case of DL

Last edited:
Reactions: Sapru

damlemadhur

Jun 5, 2023
Hello,
My daughter's OCI process seems to have extended. unfortunately Purolator has lost the package while delivering to me from BLS. in essence, the OCI card is lost. Anybody any experience here, what are the next steps to do here? Where do I file police complaint, and what all steps are required?

• Sad
Reactions: abbas.pasha

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,
My daughter's OCI process seems to have extended. unfortunately Purolator has lost the package while delivering to me from BLS. in essence, the OCI card is lost. Anybody any experience here, what are the next steps to do here? Where do I file police complaint, and what all steps are required?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/purolator-lost-the-passport-oci-what-needs-to-be-done.786891/

@wink you had a similar issue I believe what happened in the end?

tozach

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Hello,
Purolator lost the surrender certificate I had submitted as part of the OCI application. Steps I followed -
1. Called Purolator and created a tracking request
2. They spent a few days trying to track it and confirmed via email that the package 'could not be tracked'
3. Forwarded the confirmation and detailed the problem to the email - cccanada@blsinternational.net
4. Purolator delivered the original surrender certificate in few days

Step 3 is not clear anywhere and I had sent about 15 emails to the Toronto BLS email address without any reply. They have little to no interest in customer service. I got the email after I got through to BLS support on a call.

I was told that they would manage the process of getting a new\duplicate if Purolator was not able to 'locate' the original certificate. Thankfully, it didnt come to that.

All the best!

Reactions: kaoru

h3xx_r_d

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Today's update:

Application type: Walkin application.
Application Submitted - July 8th 2023
In Transit from BLS to Consulate: July 10th 2023
BLS Status - Processing at Consulate General - July 10th 2023
Date of Acknowledgment: July 17th 2023
Original documents Received : July 20th 2023 (they sent surrender certificate and original photo 2nd copy back)

They ask one extra copy of Photo at the time of walkin submission. I provided soft copy of my photo and they printed out. Now, they sent back that extra 2nd photo back to me along with original surrender certificate. Is that their routine practice?

Thank you
Regards,
Any update on your application yet?

preeti123

Star Member
Sep 26, 2019
Hello, I am applying for OCI from Alberta. I have a question regarding "Mission " in the first section. In the sample sheet they have given "Ottawa" but do I need to put it as Vancouver as I'm applying from Alberta. Any inputs are much appreciated. Thank you.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello, I am applying for OCI from Alberta. I have a question regarding "Mission " in the first section. In the sample sheet they have given "Ottawa" but do I need to put it as Vancouver as I'm applying from Alberta. Any inputs are much appreciated. Thank you.
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/
  • VANCOUVER JURISDICTION
    All locations below fall under the Consular Jurisdiction of the Consulate in Vancouver
    1. - Saskatchewan
    2. - Alberta
    3. - British Columbia
    4. - Yukon Territory
    5. - Northwest Territories

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Nothing other than photo
Rest of the supporting documents need to be self attested copies along with the OCI application form
Do I need to upload colour self attested copies online with the application form?

Is it ok to write a letter for self-employment? What details are needed?

Also the checklist asks for file number. Is this the same as the one on the SC?

Thanks for your help! This is super stressful

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Do I need to upload colour self attested copies online with the application form?

Is it ok to write a letter for self-employment? What details are needed?

Also the checklist asks for file number. Is this the same as the one on the SC?

Thanks for your help! This is super stressful
1. I uploaded color copies online but they were not self attested. My application is with Consulate General right now. Let's see if it's ok.

2. Yes. Basic details such as employer name and address, are u a full time employee, designation, hours per week, contact number of employer in case your employment needs to be verified. I honestly think its just a formality. They need to verify that you don't work for any federal or provincial govt. I hear Canadian govt employees are not eligible for OCI.

3. File number is the one which starts from CAN. You get it after you submit part 1 of the online OCI form.