+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I recently went for the SC and they charged me everything via debit card. No cash was allowed. They didn't ask for Bank Draft.

Can anyone confirm, for OCI, can I make payment via Debit card? Or Bank Draft is mandatory?
That was SC the fee for which you can pay via Debit
For SC within Toronto jurisdiction draft addressed to CGI Toronto for $345 per applicant is required
In Vancouver you pay the fee via Debit but not in Toronto

Reactions: OldH1B

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
That was SC the fee for which you can pay via Debit
For SC within Toronto jurisdiction draft addressed to CGI Toronto for $345 per applicant is required
In Vancouver you pay the fee via Debit but not in Toronto
Rightly said. Application fees section mentions it clearly

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/oci-fresh.php
  • In Person:
Two separate payments required of OCI application as per the direction of HCI.
  1. Draft or money order in favor of "Consulate General of India – Toronto"
  2. (Note: Fees payable under this draft / money is for Consular fees + ICWF Charge only).

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ottawa-jurisdiction/oci-fresh.php
  • In Person:
Two separate payments required of OCI application as per the direction of HCI.
  1. Draft or money order in favor of "High Commission of India - Ottawa"
  2. (Note: Fees payable under this draft / money is for Consular fees + ICWF Charge only).

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/vancouver-jurisdiction/oci-fresh.php
  • In Person:
    Payment can be made by using the below mention modes only:
    1. Debit Card
    2. Cash (Applicant’s are requested to get exact cash as per number of applications)

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi All,
Thanks for your replies.
I got 3 drafts made of 345 and 3 drafts made of 7.40 each.

I am on the document upload page. I have the following questions - These are the docs I have uploaded so far

CURRENT PASSPORT - Current Canadian passport

EMPLOYMENT/ WORK LETTER - Employment letter

INDIAN ORIGIN PROOF - Cancelled Indian passport.

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE - Marriage cert

SPOUSE PASSPORT - Spouse canadian passport.

My question is do I NOT have to upload the Surrender certificate and my address proof (Drivers license) anywhere?
Secondly, for my wife is who is a house wife, what does she upload in Employment/ Work Letter. BLS call center guys said just write on a plain white paper you are not working any where and you are a house wife and sign and date it. Use that for employment letter. Is this what others have done?

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Hi guys, quick question. I am filling my OCI online form and just wanted to confirm the format of the phone number.
The link to sample document does not include +1 international code. But wanted to confirm if i should enter phone number as +1647XXXXXXX or just 647XXXXXXX (without international code)?

I know this is very minor but with BLS rejecting applications form minor reasons, i just wanted to be sure.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi guys, quick question. I am filling my OCI online form and just wanted to confirm the format of the phone number.
The link to sample document does not include +1 international code. But wanted to confirm if i should enter phone number as +1647XXXXXXX or just 647XXXXXXX (without international code)?

I know this is very minor but with BLS rejecting applications form minor reasons, i just wanted to be sure.
Zayada sochne kaa nahin re mamu...

Just enter 647xxxxxx in both phone and mobile. No need to include +1 or 001

Reactions: pHrankee

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi All,
Thanks for your replies.
I got 3 drafts made of 345 and 3 drafts made of 7.40 each.

I am on the document upload page. I have the following questions - These are the docs I have uploaded so far

CURRENT PASSPORT - Current Canadian passport

EMPLOYMENT/ WORK LETTER - Employment letter

INDIAN ORIGIN PROOF - Cancelled Indian passport.

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE - Marriage cert

SPOUSE PASSPORT - Spouse canadian passport.

My question is do I NOT have to upload the Surrender certificate and my address proof (Drivers license) anywhere?
Secondly, for my wife is who is a house wife, what does she upload in Employment/ Work Letter. BLS call center guys said just write on a plain white paper you are not working any where and you are a house wife and sign and date it. Use that for employment letter. Is this what others have done?
For Adult Application:
  • CURRENT PASSPORT - Combine pdf and include (first page) of the Canadian Passport and citizenship certificate(front and back)
  • EMPLOYMENT/ WORK LETTER
  • SPOUSE PASSPORT- Combine pdf and include (first page) of the Canadian Passport and citizenship certificate(front and back) (if you are married)
  • PREVIOUS INDIAN PASSPORT OF SELF - Combine pdf and include (first and last page) of the Indian Passport and Surrender Certificate
Provide a self declaration in your wife's case, that she is not currently a housewife/homemaker and not presently employed.

Proof of Address(PoF) is not required to be uploaded as such, its required for BLS submission who wants to verify e.g. you are applying in Toronto jurisdiction your PoF should be generated from within the GTA

pycharm

Jul 23, 2023
Long-time lurker. This thread helped me with my OCI application so wanted to share my experience.
  • In-person OCI application submission at BLS Toronto.
  • Documents I uploaded: Employment letter, Canadian passport, Indian passport
  • Had an early-morning appointment and there were no waiting delays - got to the counter within 15 minutes of showing up. Felt a little sorry for the folks waiting in the long lines at the DriveTest next door.
  • Documents they asked for first: Checklist, Application Form
  • The man at the counter verified each piece of info I provided in the Application form by asking for originals and copies of:
    • Indian Passport (he took a fresh copy because my copy did not have the CANCELLED stamp on it, I had taken the copy before it had been cancelled)
    • Indian Passport Surrender Certificate
    • Canadian Passport
    • Canadian Citizenship certificate
    • Employment letter
    • Wife's CA passport (he didn't ask for wife's OCI)
    • My Address (Driver's licence)
  • He asked me to sign all copies
  • Since this was in-person they only needed the bank draft for the Indian consulate and he asked me to return to CIBC the bank draft I had made for BLS. :rolleyes: and then I paid for that, as well as any photocopies he took with a debit card.
  • He did not withhold any originals - phew!
  • Was told the OCI would be delivered within 2-3 months
My learnings:
  • Make sure the photo you upload with the form and the photo you submit in-person is the same.
  • Make sure you have originals and copies to help with verification of all information you provided in the application form. I almost didn't bother to carry my wife's passport.
  • Unlike Brampton, the Toronto location does not appear to encourage you making form resubmissions and then return the same day. I think they might fill the form in for you at an extra charge if they spot inaccuracies.
  • No washrooms on-site but there's a Starbucks 200m away.
This OCI application felt like I was preparing for an exam, and the checklist says they have the option to reject if a document is missing and you lose the application fee which makes this extra stressful. For all the talk of Digital India and UPI at the Eiffel Tower, having to make a draft for the Consulate of India felt immensely pointless. Glad I never have to deal with this again.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldH1B and h3xx_r_d

h3xx_r_d

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Long-time lurker. This thread helped me with my OCI application so wanted to share my experience.
  • In-person OCI application submission at BLS Toronto.
  • Documents I uploaded: Employment letter, Canadian passport, Indian passport
  • Had an early-morning appointment and there were no waiting delays - got to the counter within 15 minutes of showing up. Felt a little sorry for the folks waiting in the long lines at the DriveTest next door.
  • Documents they asked for first: Checklist, Application Form
  • The man at the counter verified each piece of info I provided in the Application form by asking for originals and copies of:
    • Indian Passport (he took a fresh copy because my copy did not have the CANCELLED stamp on it, I had taken the copy before it had been cancelled)
    • Indian Passport Surrender Certificate
    • Canadian Passport
    • Canadian Citizenship certificate
    • Employment letter
    • Wife's CA passport (he didn't ask for wife's OCI)
    • My Address (Driver's licence)
  • He asked me to sign all copies
  • Since this was in-person they only needed the bank draft for the Indian consulate and he asked me to return to CIBC the bank draft I had made for BLS. :rolleyes: and then I paid for that, as well as any photocopies he took with a debit card.
  • He did not withhold any originals - phew!
  • Was told the OCI would be delivered within 2-3 months
My learnings:
  • Make sure the photo you upload with the form and the photo you submit in-person is the same.
  • Make sure you have originals and copies to help with verification of all information you provided in the application form. I almost didn't bother to carry my wife's passport.
  • Unlike Brampton, the Toronto location does not appear to encourage you making form resubmissions and then return the same day. I think they might fill the form in for you at an extra charge if they spot inaccuracies.
  • No washrooms on-site but there's a Starbucks 200m away.
This OCI application felt like I was preparing for an exam, and the checklist says they have the option to reject if a document is missing and you lose the application fee which makes this extra stressful. For all the talk of Digital India and UPI at the Eiffel Tower, having to make a draft for the Consulate of India felt immensely pointless. Glad I never have to deal with this again.
This is fairly consistent with my experience submitting the OCI application as well. I went in on Friday to BLS Toronto and they also didn’t keep any originals.

Early morning appointments (8-8.30 am) are the best as you can get out soon. I had an appointment for 8.20 and I was out at 8.50.

I’ve had to do walkin once before for another application and it was a nightmare (reached at 7 am and got done at 2 pm). Never again.

Reactions: pycharm

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Thank you both of your for your experiences. I am now printing and signing my applications.
I got the BLS drafts made too but I will return it to the bank I guess now. BLS may be interested in the 70 cents surcharge they get on debit card ;)

Thanks Abbas bhai on the clarification on the employment letter for my wife.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thank you both of your for your experiences. I am now printing and signing my applications.
I got the BLS drafts made too but I will return it to the bank I guess now. BLS may be interested in the 70 cents surcharge they get on debit card ;)

Can please you tell me if we do different Money order or Money draft one for BLS and one for Consulate ? Or one should be good @abbas.pasha

h3xx_r_d

Star Member
May 10, 2019

Good luck! Please share your experience here after you submit so others have a reference.

Reactions: OldH1B

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi All,
Sorry for the last minute questions. Could you please confirm ----

For the minor application, the only documents to upload are
- Current CA Passport + Citizenship Certificate (Single PDF Document)
- Last held Indian Passport + Surrender certificate (Single PDF Document)
- Relationship Certificate - Indian Birth Certificate (Single PDF Document)

Supporting documents NOT being uploaded but present in Hard copies are
- All above documents.
- NOC Letter
- Both parents CA Passport Orig + Copy
- Both parents Citizenship Cert Orig + Copy
- Both parents Surrender Certificarte Orig + Copy
- Marriage Certificate of parents

Could you please confirm if these are all ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi All,
Sorry for the last minute questions. Could you please confirm ----

For the minor application, the only documents to upload are
- Current CA Passport + Citizenship Certificate (Single PDF Document)
- Last held Indian Passport + Surrender certificate (Single PDF Document)
- Relationship Certificate - Indian Birth Certificate (Single PDF Document)

Supporting documents NOT being uploaded but present in Hard copies are
- All above documents.
- NOC Letter
- Both parents CA Passport Orig + Copy
- Both parents Citizenship Cert Orig + Copy
- Both parents Surrender Certificarte Orig + Copy
- Marriage Certificate of parents

Could you please confirm if these are all ?
Minor: Upload the following documents:
- CURRENT PASSPORT: (Child) Canadian Passport, Citizenship and Birth certificate.. (Both parents) Canadian Passport, citizenship certificate as one pdf document
PREVIOUS INDIAN PASSPORT OF SELF: (Child) Indian Passport, Surrender certificate.. (Both parents) Indian Passport, Surrender certificate as one pdf document
- MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE: Parents marriage certificate
- although not required but you can upload parents employment letters.

Make sure when you submit the documents to BLS sign off the additional form for NoC and include the photographs on it (the NoC is not required to be uploaded)