+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
anybody doing gov job recived OCI? i was told by BLS person while submitting my application that OCIs are not issued to Canadian Gov employees, and mine will be likely rejected? i am not sure this canbe the reason, i was born in India and lived in India most of my life.
Any thoughts?

Reactions: karamjeeet

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
anybody doing gov job recived OCI? i was told by BLS person while submitting my application that OCIs are not issued to Canadian Gov employees, and mine will be likely rejected? i am not sure this canbe the reason, i was born in India and lived in India most of my life.
Any thoughts?
Not sure, but it could be a challenge imho. With such friendly relationship between the GoI and the GoC, this can swing anywhere..
This why they ask for the Employment letter. If you are in the private service BLS does not even take the Employment letter even though the checklists ask for it.
But not sure what happens in the case of Canadians working in the Government sector.

Last edited:

nishant872

Star Member
May 28, 2018
My OCI timeline:
Application type: Postal
Application Sent- 01/06/2023
BLS Status - Under Processing at Consulate - 06/06/2023
Acknowledgement from OCI site - 09/06/2023
Document printed - 03/07/2023
Dispatched and received at Consulate - 06/07/2023
Waiting for BLS to ship the OCI.

Anyone knows how long it takes for BLS to ship the OCI? Asking as I am travelling to India in 2 weeks.
Do we need to submit any originals via the postal application? if yes, which ones?

HMO

Jun 18, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2014
Doc's Request.
------
Nomination.....
21-01-2015
AOR Received.
26-02-2015
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
File Transfer...
process started on 21 April 2015 and SLU 24 April 2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
21-05-2015 & TLU 27 May 2015
Interview........
------
Passport Req..
DM 06 Aug 2015 & PPR 06 Aug 2015 , PP submitted 10 Aug 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Passport collected on 20 Aug 2015 & Visa issue 04 Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Jan/Feb 2016
Yesterday, Submitted OCI application.

1)They quickly checked my application. Ok with my application. No corrections. Saved money for that. Lol..

2) They asked for 2 Photographs. I had one and I was ready with my argument that in the checklist it is mentioned that the requirement is only one. She said they (consulate I think) have not updated the checklist and informed BLS staff only. Looks like based on my argument, she said if you have soft copy, you get 1 more printout from here. I agreed (I knew that the requirement is 1 only). I don’t wan to go far. Not sure if it’s Changed to 2 now.

3) Later she verified all the originals, she asked my that we will require your Surrender certificate (original) and we will courier you back. I said you already verified. Why they want to verify again?

Later, again I agreed to give my surrender certificate. Please note that she did not took my cancelled Indian passport.

I Know they charged me extra (without any reasons) for above point #2 and #3. But I was okay with that as par as they didn’t charge me with above point#1. . For example, in the application, I mentioned mobile number with ISD 001. I was prepared they will ask me to correct it as ISD number is not required and charge me extra ($60 for correction and extra for print out)

Btw she was soft spoken. Not like others and she was trying hard to justify the cost.

What I learnt that it’s depend on the staff how they want to proceed.

It was good that I did some homework. Thank you all. Specially The Saviour Mr. Abbas.Pasha.!

Reactions: abbas.pasha

nishant872

Star Member
May 28, 2018

1)They quickly checked my application. Ok with my application. No corrections. Saved money for that. Lol..

2) They asked for 2 Photographs. I had one and I was ready with my argument that in the checklist it is mentioned that the requirement is only one. She said they (consulate I think) have not updated the checklist and informed BLS staff only. Looks like based on my argument, she said if you have soft copy, you get 1 more printout from here. I agreed (I knew that the requirement is 1 only). I don’t wan to go far. Not sure if it’s Changed to 2 now.

3) Later she verified all the originals, she asked my that we will require your Surrender certificate (original) and we will courier you back. I said you already verified. Why they want to verify again?

Later, again I agreed to give my surrender certificate. Please note that she did not took my cancelled Indian passport.

I Know they charged me extra (without any reasons) for above point #2 and #3. But I was okay with that as par as they didn’t charge me with above point#1. . For example, in the application, I mentioned mobile number with ISD 001. I was prepared they will ask me to correct it as ISD number is not required and charge me extra ($60 for correction and extra for print out)

Btw she was soft spoken. Not like others and she was trying hard to justify the cost.

It was good that I did some homework. Thank you all. Specially The Saviour Mr. Abbas.Pasha.!
Do they all this in postal application? Any experiences?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

I was ready with my argument...ye ladka tez hain :p

Reactions: HMO

HMO

Jun 18, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2014
Doc's Request.
------
Nomination.....
21-01-2015
AOR Received.
26-02-2015
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
File Transfer...
process started on 21 April 2015 and SLU 24 April 2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
21-05-2015 & TLU 27 May 2015
Interview........
------
Passport Req..
DM 06 Aug 2015 & PPR 06 Aug 2015 , PP submitted 10 Aug 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Passport collected on 20 Aug 2015 & Visa issue 04 Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Jan/Feb 2016
  • Haha
Reactions: abbas.pasha

HappyLifeInCanada

Jun 22, 2023
Good morning all..
We applied for 2 minor OCIs in person at BLS Brampton on June 1st 2023. One of them is ready to pickup from purolator & other one waiting for pickup notification.

Below are the timelines for reference-

1) Ready for pickup after oci stamping
(BLS status-Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping)

Date Of Acknowledgment06-JUN-2023
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- Numberxxxxxxxx
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn30-JUN-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn04-JUL-2023
Document received AtTORONTOOn04-JUL-2023

2) Waiting for pickup notification
(BLS status-Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping)

Date Of Acknowledgment07-JUN-2023
OCI- Numberxxxxxxxx
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn03-JUL-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn06-JUL-2023
Document received AtTORONTOOn06-JUL-2023

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Good morning all..
We applied for 2 minor OCIs in person at BLS Brampton on June 1st 2023. One of them is ready to pickup from purolator & other one waiting for pickup notification.

Below are the timelines for reference-

1) Ready for pickup after oci stamping
(BLS status-Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping)

Date Of Acknowledgment06-JUN-2023
OCI- Numberxxxxxxxx
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn30-JUN-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn04-JUL-2023
Document received AtTORONTOOn04-JUL-2023

2) Waiting for pickup notification
(BLS status-Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping)

Date Of Acknowledgment07-JUN-2023
OCI- Numberxxxxxxxx
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn03-JUL-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn06-JUL-2023
Document received AtTORONTOOn06-JUL-2023
Oh you are the lucky one who saved money by not getting into trap of courier is mandatory eh ;)

Reactions: pHrankee

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Oh you are the lucky one who saved money by not getting into trap of courier is mandatory eh ;)
Lol..I have been reading all the comments here on how BLS Brampton try to force you to pay them for photos, couriers etc. I am applying for my surrender certificate this week and I initially thought of doin this and not giving them any option to force me to use their incredible expensive courier service. But unfortunately I live a little further away from Brampton and it would be highly inconvenient and time consuming if I have to drive and pick up the certificate on person. Would ahbe so satisfying to make them not get these extra money lol. I really hope other here who live closer to BLS centers no cave to their ridiculous mandates and not give them any extra money.

Prashanth15

Oct 21, 2017
India
Visa Office......
Sydney
AOR Received.
28-08-2017
Med's Done....
09-09-2017
Hi @Prashanth15 ,

I have few questions regarding my OCI application. BLS calling line is blocked due to high number of calls.

1. I am sending a postal application. Do you know what is the amount of the draft(s) and how many drafts we need and to which name?

2. Do we need to upload self-attested copies of the document?

3. Do we have to write text as "“This is a true copy of the original " on a copy - as mentioned https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/Toronto-OCI-Checklist-Rev-10.0-July-2018.pdf?

Thanks in advance buddy

1. Did you try calling the number 2894981320? It generally gets through instantly. You need 2 bank drafts - one addressed to Consulate general of India, Toronto for $345 (per person) and the other addressed to BLS International Services Canada Inc. for $7.40 (per person). Call BLS once to verify the fee amount.

2. All copies must be self attested. If you're processing for a minor, both parents must sign on the copies.

3. No I did not do that.