+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

goofy123

Aug 14, 2021
1) For OCI for minor born in Canada, do both parents need to appear for submitting application? Parents' consent form will be anyway signed by both. This is for BLS Brampton.
2) The Indian parent's WP is expiring but extension has been applied for. Have the std. IRCC letter stating "This confirms that your application has been received by IRCC on <date>". It does not state WP extension. Can that be sufficient proof of legal stay and does anyone have such experience with BLS?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
1) For OCI for minor born in Canada, do both parents need to appear for submitting application? Parents' consent form will be anyway signed by both. This is for BLS Brampton.
2) The Indian parent's WP is expiring but extension has been applied for. Have the std. IRCC letter stating "This confirms that your application has been received by IRCC on <date>". It does not state WP extension. Can that be sufficient proof of legal stay and does anyone have such experience with BLS?
  • One parent can submit application for minor/family members on behalf of the family at BLS Brampton
  • Not an expert opinion, but I suggest you to submit the OCI for minor before the WP expires. I do not think BLS will accept WP extension application which are in process as a legal status in the country for minor's parents

goofy123

Aug 14, 2021
  • One parent can submit application for minor/family members on behalf of the family at BLS Brampton
  • Not an expert opinion, but I suggest you to submit the OCI for minor before the WP expires. I do not think BLS will accept WP extension application which are in process as a legal status in the country for minor's parents
Thank you for prompt response...

ron_ad123

Star Member
Dec 16, 2014
3rd visit to BLS. On every earlier visit, they found some error in the form and asked to correct. Today they said photo not as per spec (shoulder not visible it seems), I put my foot down. Spec sheet here - https://ociservices.gov.in/Photo-Spec-FINAL.pdf I was asked to sign declaration that BLS official told me about it and I am proceeding with the application anyway. Further carried print out of Sampark reply that SC original not required to be submitted. They asked me to put that in the declaration and I had to give them the printout and actually only then returned original SC. Finally submitted OCI app. Now wait begins for final phase. Did anyone have to sign such a declaration and was your application successful? .

Shivshambho

May 19, 2023
Hi guys , I have been reading all the comments and posts , those were very helpful. But had a horrible experience at bls brampton, these guys will point out anything out of nowhere to make u have a run around.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi guys , I have been reading all the comments and posts , those were very helpful. But had a horrible experience at bls brampton, these guys will point out anything out of nowhere to make u have a run around.
Yeah true... you have to get into their skin not the other way around or else is a sorry situation..

Reactions: Shivshambho

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
I applied for OCI today at BLS Toronto. I had an appointment. Waited for about an hour inside. Once at the counter, first problem was photo. They wanted date stamped behind it even though there is no mention of such a thing anywhere. I told them I submitted the same photo for surrender certificate without problems and its recent. The agent looked like she was comparing my face to photo and concluded that I look like it and accepted it (she told me that it doesn't look like my appearance has changed and hence she's accepting it). Next the name on my draft was wrong. I had gotten it in the name of "High Commission of India, Ottawa". My bad! So she asked me to go to Canada Post in the same complex and get a money order made out to "Consulate General of India - Toronto". After I did that she wanted to keep the original surrender certificate. I told her that the instructions didn't mention this. She said I can choose to not attach the original certificate with my application but I'll have to provide and sign a declaration. Additionally if the consulate requires it I'll have to send it on my own later on and this could delay the application processing. So I relented and let them keep my original surrender certificate. Charged me $86 on top of $345 in the money order. Ordeal over. Hopefully I'll get my original surrender certificate and OCI without any issues. I was told that the original certificate should be returned in a month and OCI should be available in 2-3 months. Fingers crossed!

Shivshambho

May 19, 2023
Yeah true... you have to get into their skin not the other way around or else is a sorry situation..
They r stupid people sitting there:
1. The person at the counter notified a mistake, we clarified and showed him the website, went to helpdesk and those guys agreed that we r right , came back to counter and the agent snd the supervisor were adamant. And the supervisor is rude, she screams and shouts and opposes every single thing u tell her… unethical and zero customer service skills. The only skill she has that she is hired on basis of is her ability to oppose and talk loudly with the customer.
2. these people need the extra sheets that comes with checklist and extra sheets that comes with the form.
3. They need 2 photos now .

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Does anyone know if I can apply for OCI with a copy of the citizenship certificate and not the original? I will be going to Brampton office.
Any document that you include in your OCI application, you should carry the originals with you to the BLS when you are applying in person.
Be it Canadian Passport, Canadian Citizenship Certificate, Address Proof, Cancelled Indian Passport, Surrender Certificate, Marriage Certificate, (only in the case of minors) Birth certificate.
Last but not least.. print all pages of the checklist..

Shivshambho

May 19, 2023
Any document that you include in your OCI application, you should carry the originals with you to the BLS when you are applying in person.
Be it Canadian Passport, Canadian Citizenship Certificate, Address Proof, Cancelled Indian Passport, Surrender Certificate, Marriage Certificate, (only in the case of minors) Birth certificate.
Last but not least.. print all pages of the checklist..
For my son born in Canada they want to keep the original birth certificate as well.