+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

head_cage

Dec 20, 2017
I am applying for OCI for me and my wife, we are applying via post/purolator pickup and drop off. My questions are:
1. I have to make 2 DD, one for $345 for Consulate General of India - Toronto and the other for $7.4 for BLS International Services, correct?
2. Since I am applying via post/purolator do I have to submit original documents like Indian and Canadian Passport? Or can I just submit a self attested copy?

Thanks in advance.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am applying for OCI for me and my wife, we are applying via post/purolator pickup and drop off. My questions are:
1. I have to make 2 DD, one for $345 for Consulate General of India - Toronto and the other for $7.4 for BLS International Services, correct?
2. Since I am applying via post/purolator do I have to submit original documents like Indian and Canadian Passport? Or can I just submit a self attested copy?

Thanks in advance.
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/oci-fresh.php

• Postal Applications:
    Two separate payments required of OCI application as per the direction of CGI.
    1. Draft or money order in favor of "Consulate General of India – Toronto"
      (Note: Fees payable under this draft / money is for Consular fees + ICWF Charge only).
    2. In favor of BLS International Services Canada Inc. via
    3. Kindly Provide Demand Draft/Money order only in favor of BLS International Services Canada Inc., which includes BLS Service charges + Return courier fees, to send back your processed application.
    4. Return courier fees to be added in Demand Draft only if you have not paid online
    5. Kindly do not enclose any cash in your postal application envelope. BLS will not be responsible for the loss of cash or the postal orders.
Original not required to be sent by Purolator
Only copies need to be included and they should be self attested

Last edited:
Reactions: head_cage

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Original not required to be sent by purolator
Only copies need to be included and they should be self attested
Hi does BLS to see need originals of any document at any point in the mailed process? Do they still stamp your Canadian passport with an oci sticker?

someone else recently asked a question elsewhere, about going to India urgently on evisa whilst oci application is pending. From my research, this sounds possible.

They then plan to have oci forwarded to them in india, and then do a quick round trip to Singapore to re-enter India with oci. Does this sound feasible? Would Indian immigration question how OCI was collected without going back to Canada?

My concern was also with original documents submitted for mailed oci applications... but if they only want self attested copies then it should be ok. Your thoughts?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi does BLS to see need originals of any document at any point in the mailed process? Do they still stamp your Canadian passport with an oci sticker?

someone else recently asked a question elsewhere, about going to India urgently on evisa whilst oci application is pending. From my research, this sounds possible.

They then plan to have oci forwarded to them in india, and then do a quick round trip to Singapore to re-enter India with oci. Does this sound feasible? Would Indian immigration question how OCI was collected without going back to Canada?

My concern was also with original documents submitted for mailed oci applications... but if they only want self attested copies then it should be ok. Your thoughts?
Like I said above you do not need to send along your originals with the applications...

I know of a applicant in Regina. Since he did not have a choice to go to Vancouver and apply in person he had to mail in his application which he did in Dec 2022.
He told me he only sent the application with self attested copies of the supporting documents that were requested as per the checklist

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

Thanks in advance.
I just updated the msg above.. plz re-check

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Like I said above you do not need to send along your originals with the applications...

I know of a applicant in Regina. Since he did not have a choice to go to Vancouver and apply in person he had to mail in his application which he did in Dec 2022.
He told me he only sent the application with self attested copies of the supporting documents that were requested as per the checklist
Thanks for clarifying.

What about going to India on evisa whilst OCI is processing, and doing a quick roundtrip to re-enter with OCI?

gpuniani

May 1, 2023
Hi All,
we are a family of '4'. finally received '3' of the OCI Card today and the rest '1' is scheduled to get delivered on Monday, May 1st.

Below are timelines

Surrender Certificate Submitted in Person: Feb 18, 2023
Surrender Certificate Received: March 7th, 2023

OCI Application Submitted ( in-person - Toronto Office ): Mar 20, 2023
Original Documents(Surrender Certificate) received: April 13th, 2023

Applicant NameFull Name
File Reference NumberCANTXXXXXXX
Date Of Acknowledgment28-MAR-2023
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- NumberAXXXXXXX
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn21-APR-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn26-APR-2023
Document received AtTORONTOOn26-APR-2023

I would like to Special Thanks .... Pasha Bhai and all others ... who helped me from starting .. applying OCI ... Notary/ Notary Sample/ no of photos / DD Fees / etc,,
Pasha bhai helped me with small to very small queries, he never felt bad Thanks a lot.....

He is an Encyclopedia/Guru in the knowledge of applying for OCI ...

for all others, any information applying regarding OCI .. just go through ( Abbas Pasha) posts starting from December all queries are already been answered.

Hi Syed

does this status mean you can go pickup the OCI book or we ned to what for some other status.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
No comments to that thread.. found it very weird the way OP is thinking...
It is a valid question for someone with OCI in progress but with an urgent need for long term travel. I will be in that situation myself.

It has happened before and I found a HCI tweet confirming that it's allowed to travel with visa whilst OCI is processing.

The question is whether one can re-enter India with OCI by travelling to a nearby country, or would this irritate the immigration desk fellows?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
It is a valid question for someone with OCI in progress but with an urgent need for long term travel. I will be in that situation myself.

It has happened before and I found a HCI tweet confirming that it's allowed to travel with visa whilst OCI is processing.

The question is whether one can re-enter India with OCI by travelling to a nearby country, or would this irritate the immigration desk fellows?
My confusion is not on this part "It has happened before and I found a HCI tweet confirming that it's allowed to travel with visa whilst OCI is processing." that's allowed.. OCI/Visa does not change an applicant's citizenship status tbh. It is a travel document which should be valid at the time one enters and exits the country.

What baffles me is after the fact that OP leaves India (while he was in the country on visa) and then comes back to India from another destination(other than Canada) with the OCI card

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
very lucid comparison of OCI n e-visa. courtesy, who else but @abbas.pasha (bro, assuming i have your permission to share this from the conversation! as it can be useful for many)

THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO COMPARE E-VISA VS OCI, AND ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO ARE APPLYING FOR A CHILD UNDER 20YRS OR ARE THEMSELVES NEARING 50....

Yes eVisa is priced pretty attractively and I think you can get 1-5 years eVisa from the onset
eVisa allows applicants to stay upto 180 days on a 1 and 5 year eVisa. Where as stay on OCI is unlimited
Check the eVisa fee:
Tourist: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/images/Etourist_fee_final.pdf
30 days: USD 10/25
1 yr: USD 40
5 yr: USD 80
plus some bank services charges
Business/Medical/Conference: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/images/eTV_revised_fee_final.pdf

OCI allows you to live and even work in India, own property (except agricultural land), where eVisa is just visit visa

OCI is life long and has to be renewed when you renew the Canadian/foreign passport (if you OCI cad obtained below the age of 20 yrs)

According to revised guidelines and relaxations related to ‘Renewal of OCI Card’ the OCI Card holders are no longer required to get their OCI Cards reissued due to change of Passport or any other reason, except one category (i.e., the OCI card obtained below the age of 20 years).

Only that OCI Card holder, who obtained the OCI card at the age of 20 years or below, is required to get the OCI Card re-issued only once when a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age. The standard existing procedure for re-issue of OCI card is required to be followed by submitting the online OCI application, physical submission of documents and Fee at the designated BLS center. [For example, when new passport is obtained at the age of 25, then OCI Card can be renewed only at that time and not immediately after attending the age of 20 years.]

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/oci-reissue-misc-service.php

jaydevadhikari

Star Member
Mar 24, 2015
Has anyone been to the Lawrence Ave E office for a walkin OCI application recently? Just want to make sure they are accepting walkins or is it just the Brampton Office.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
very lucid comparison of OCI n e-visa. courtesy, who else but @abbas.pasha (bro, assuming i have your permission to share this from the conversation! as it can be useful for many)

THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO COMPARE E-VISA VS OCI, AND ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO ARE APPLYING FOR A CHILD UNDER 20YRS OR ARE THEMSELVES NEARING 50....

Yes eVisa is priced pretty attractively and I think you can get 1-5 years eVisa from the onset
eVisa allows applicants to stay upto 180 days on a 1 and 5 year eVisa. Where as stay on OCI is unlimited
Check the eVisa fee:
Tourist: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/images/Etourist_fee_final.pdf
30 days: USD 10/25
1 yr: USD 40
5 yr: USD 80
plus some bank services charges
Business/Medical/Conference: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/images/eTV_revised_fee_final.pdf

OCI allows you to live and even work in India, own property (except agricultural land), where eVisa is just visit visa

OCI is life long and has to be renewed when you renew the Canadian/foreign passport (if you OCI cad obtained below the age of 20 yrs)

According to revised guidelines and relaxations related to ‘Renewal of OCI Card’ the OCI Card holders are no longer required to get their OCI Cards reissued due to change of Passport or any other reason, except one category (i.e., the OCI card obtained below the age of 20 years).

Only that OCI Card holder, who obtained the OCI card at the age of 20 years or below, is required to get the OCI Card re-issued only once when a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age. The standard existing procedure for re-issue of OCI card is required to be followed by submitting the online OCI application, physical submission of documents and Fee at the designated BLS center. [For example, when new passport is obtained at the age of 25, then OCI Card can be renewed only at that time and not immediately after attending the age of 20 years.]

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/oci-reissue-misc-service.php
Ayelaaa.. Ctrl C + Ctrl V :D

Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

antman88

Feb 16, 2022
Hi all,

Just started the OCI process for new issuance - I've upload my picture and signature image and have now started to upload the documents required. I've uploaded current passport/ employment letter/ Indian origin proof (passport). Are the other three required - Indian Visa (don't have one), PIO Card (never had one) and Relationship Certificate (it says birth certificate, but Indian passport has the parent's names).

Thanks for your help!