OCI process

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
Awesome!
Just to confirm the documents that need to be uploaded:
-> Current Passport - Canadian PP + Citizenship certificate
-> Indian Origin Proof - Indian PP + Surrender certificate
-> Employment letter
(Applying only for me (spouse is still a PR), so I guess marriage certificate & spouse passport copy is not needed, am I right? )
Anything else?

Thank you for the update @americanidiot
I think you might need the marriage cert and spouse passport copy because the form does ask for those details. I am single so it wasn't applicable to me. I'd say better be safe than sorry and upload them anyway

Reactions: eparker42

fswaspirant

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
Hi All,
we are a family of '4'. finally received '3' of the OCI Card today and the rest '1' is scheduled to get delivered on Monday, May 1st.

Below are timelines

Surrender Certificate Submitted in Person: Feb 18, 2023
Surrender Certificate Received: March 7th, 2023

OCI Application Submitted ( in-person - Toronto Office ): Mar 20, 2023
Original Documents(Surrender Certificate) received: April 13th, 2023

Applicant NameFull Name
File Reference NumberCANTXXXXXXX
Date Of Acknowledgment28-MAR-2023
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- NumberAXXXXXXX
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn21-APR-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn26-APR-2023
Document received AtTORONTOOn26-APR-2023

I would like to Special Thanks .... Pasha Bhai and all others ... who helped me from starting .. applying OCI ... Notary/ Notary Sample/ no of photos / DD Fees / etc,,
Pasha bhai helped me with small to very small queries, he never felt bad Thanks a lot.....

He is an Encyclopedia/Guru in the knowledge of applying for OCI ...

for all others, any information applying regarding OCI .. just go through ( Abbas Pasha) posts starting from December all queries are already been answered.
Congratulations ! - Where do you track this status? I am checking on BLS website : and it just says Processing at Consulate General. Mine was in person submission at Vancouver BLS on 14 April

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
OCI - one time headache, but very expensive especially when you're doing it for a family and dealing with BLS - around C$400/bakra. and another C$100 per person every 10 years (and even more for minors, and every 5 years for minors).

E-visa - cheap, multiple entry, get for C$14 for 30d. if you want to go during Apr-Jun or else C$34; C$108 gets you a 5 year multiple entry visa with max stay of 6m., full online process, no BLS interactions, only passport n photo n online payment needed, biometrics at airport of arrival, BUT THIS VISA IS NON EXTENDABLE (so you can't go for a 30d visa and apply for extension at FRRO). If you want do the math, OCI makes sense if you will visit India > 12 times as compared to buying 30d visas, or 20 years of visits if you buy 5yr visas.

OCI just doesn't make sense for kids who are between 15 n 20, cos they will need a new one when they renew their passport after crossing 20. and in any case, each family has its own assessment - how much will parents travel n how much will kids travel etc.
wow BAKRA

ron_ad123

Star Member
Dec 16, 2014
please ensure with the pdfs:
- current passport: include the citizenship certificate as well
- Indian passport: include the surrender certificate as well

If you have a spouse but you are not apply OCI for them, do include their passport and certificates as well in the above pdf
@abbas.pasha Sirjee the document checklist for upload does not mention that we need to upload SC cert with Passport. Will it make a difference if not done this way? https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-documents-to-be-uploaded/

yaml

Star Member
Aug 16, 2022
OCI - one time headache, but very expensive especially when you're doing it for a family and dealing with BLS - around C$400/bakra. and another C$100 per person every 10 years (and even more for minors, and every 5 years for minors).
Currently OCI renewal is not required every 10 years, new passport details needs to be updated at OCI Miscellaneous Services (https://ociservices.gov.in/capchaActionMisc) it's gratis and doesn't involve BLS. It's required for kids only after completing 20 years before that passport change can be updated using Misc service. I think it's worth as it's valid for life long and during the pandemic e-visa was cancelled and only people with OCI was allowed to enter India.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
@abbas.pasha Sirjee the document checklist for upload does not mention that we need to upload SC cert with Passport. Will it make a difference if not done this way? https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-documents-to-be-uploaded/
Refer Checklist on the BLS page: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist_Information_Booklet_for_OCI_2jun22NN.pdf
Under your Indian Root section when you attach the Indian passport just include the surrender certificate along and combine the pdf before uploading.

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Currently OCI renewal is not required every 10 years, new passport details needs to be updated at OCI Miscellaneous Services it's gratis and doesn't involve BLS. It's required for kids only after completing 20 years before that passport change can be updated using Misc service. I think it's worth as it's valid for life long and during the pandemic e-visa was cancelled and only people with OCI was allowed to enter India.
i stand corrected. either i misread the bls page or it is not clearly worded (it said misc services like changing particulars or new pp have that fee).

so yes, for us (parents) after 50yrs of age, we just need to upload pic n pp (free). notwithstanding that i am yet to decide whether or not i'll apply cos i don't think i have plans or ties that will last my lifetime! i covered all this ground re OCI, reached this point, and this forum cos my earlier mental assessment of oci n visa was incorrect cos i thought visa always involves BLS and each one costs 100, so naturally i was leaning towards OCI. not any more. as for our kids, even if i have to apply, i am definitely not going ahead till they turn 20 (one is just a year short) so it doesn't make sense to pay for OCI now, and another one again.

and i do buy your point of entry during pandemic and can only hope it doesn't happen again till i get their oci.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
i stand corrected. either i misread the bls page or it is not clearly worded (it said misc services like changing particulars or new pp have that fee).

so yes, for us (parents) after 50yrs of age, we just need to upload pic n pp (free). notwithstanding that i am yet to decide whether or not i'll apply cos i don't think i have plans or ties that will last my lifetime! i covered all this ground re OCI, reached this point, and this forum cos my earlier mental assessment of oci n visa was incorrect cos i thought visa always involves BLS and each one costs 100, so naturally i was leaning towards OCI. not any more. as for our kids, even if i have to apply, i am definitely not going ahead till they turn 20 (one is just a year short) so it doesn't make sense to pay for OCI now, and another one again.

and i do buy your point of entry during pandemic and can only hope it doesn't happen again till i get their oci.
He is buying Crypto ;)

pgs

Feb 16, 2016
Hi, I have quick question regarding OCI application which is who signs the checklist of minor OCI applicants?