+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

grpullag

Feb 17, 2021
My timeline
Submitted application at BLS Surrey : March 21
Date of Acknowledgement: March 29
Status says processing. Anyone with similar timeline from BC?
Walk-in at BLS Surrey
Submitted Application: April 4
Status on BLS tracking - Changed from Underprocess to Processing at Consulate General on April 15.
Status on OCI website - No such record found.

Reactions: eparker42

Lapta

Jul 3, 2015
I see few posts about name change issue because of no last name on Indian passport.

I was waiting for my OCI to be processed so I can answer those.

I had no last name on Indian passport.

Given name :abcd

Last name:

Canadian passport

given name XXX

Last name abcd

I filled the OCI application according to the Canadian passport name given name XXX and last name abcd

I didnt not submit the application with any name change or any kind of affidavit because of Candian passport name change and Got approved for the OCI
OCI showing same name as Canadian Passport

Again BLS/OCI have their own policy or mood swings - they can approve your file or reject because of the Given Name/Last name.

wont advise you to submit without name change affidavit but I did and got approved.

Reactions: yaml

yaml

Star Member
Aug 16, 2022
I see few posts about name change issue because of no last name on Indian passport.

I was waiting for my OCI to be processed so I can answer those.

I had no last name on Indian passport.

Given name :abcd

Last name:

Canadian passport

given name XXX

Last name abcd

I filled the OCI application according to the Canadian passport name given name XXX and last name abcd

I didnt not submit the application with any name change or any kind of affidavit because of Candian passport name change and Got approved for the OCI
OCI showing same name as Canadian Passport

Again BLS/OCI have their own policy or mood swings - they can approve your file or reject because of the Given Name/Last name.

wont advise you to submit without name change affidavit but I did and got approved.
so you have XXX as first name in OCI?

sincrin

Sep 24, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My OCI was received in Toronto on April 13th (DOA - March18th) but no update on BLS's website since then. I have to travel to India on Friday and hence the urgency. Called BLS support number they said its still with Consulate. God knows what they are doing siting with the OCI document for 5 days now.
Did you get any updates? I am in the same boat, no update after the Apr 13 OCI printing. I have to travel in 10 days

mj_toronto

Mar 28, 2018
A (so called) patriot's shallow view:

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/opinion/citizenship-renouncers-are-the-new-colonials-call-them-desi-colonials-10353731.html

Hope it does not attract attention of certain crowd and create problems. Instead of asking hard questions like why people are renouncing, I am not sure how changing OCI to OCIO would solve the problem.
Thanks for sharing. Sometimes, it is good to read the crap to appreciate the good writing :)

This is one of the most incoherent, factually incorrect, and delusional articles I have ever read from a professor. I pray for the students of Krea University (I heard the name the first time; shame on my ignorance), where the gentleman is a professor.

I am glad that governments (both current and past) didn't think like him. Otherwise, they wouldn't have started this OCI process.

Last edited:
Reactions: jk_indian

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Thanks for sharing. Sometimes, it is good to read the crap to appreciate the good writing :)

This is one of the most incoherent, factually incorrect, and delusional articles I have ever read from a professor. I pray for the students of Krea University (I heard the name the first time; shame on my ignorance), where the gentleman is a professor.

I am glad that governments (both current and past) didn't think like him. Otherwise, they wouldn't have started this OCI process.
I read the article. The Jingoism is apparent but certainly there is a case to be made for exploitation of youth especially from Pubjab (the primary target) who largely end up as low skilled labour, and the enormous amounts of wealth being drained from india for tuition, house downpayments, brain drain etc. In a large part and for most migrants from South Asia, Canadian immigration is a scam. Canada duped poor Europeans in the 19th century (they were not told of the snow) and many were simply deported from the Scotland during the highland clearances. But they did get free land and brought only their labour. The current drain from Asia can be said to be neo Colonialism and Canada knows it.
Unfortunately the author of the article threw the baby out with the bathwater with his jingoism and attacks on NRIs. People are not the evil. Governments and politicians are. Personally, I chose Canada for safety and nature. But I certainly don't recommend Indian youth to migrate to Canada. They're better off in India in many ways. Perhaps India should have dual citizenship after all. That would solve many problems- as migrants can then take their wealth and experience back to India. So in a way India's policy hurts itself.

Last edited:

wink

May 25, 2021
I read the article. The Jingoism is apparent but certainly there is a case to be made for exploitation of youth especially from Pubjab (the primary target) who largely end up as low skilled labour, and the enormous amounts of wealth being drained from india for tuition, house downpayments, brain drain etc. In a large part and for most migrants from South Asia, Canadian immigration is a scam. Canada duped poor Europeans in the 19th century (they were not told of the snow) and many were simply deported from the Scotland during the highland clearances. But they did get free land and brought only their labour. The current drain from Asia can be said to be neo Colonialism and Canada knows it.
Unfortunately the author of the article threw the baby out with the bathwater with his jingoism and attacks on NRIs. People are not the evil. Governments and politicians are. Personally, I chose Canada for safety and nature. But I certainly don't recommend Indian youth to migrate to Canada. They're better off in India in many ways. Perhaps India should have dual citizenship after all. That would solve many problems- as migrants can then take their wealthy and experience back to India. So in a way India's policy hurts itself.
How the article ended was funny... as if it was written to target just one person.