+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi All!

I'll be taking my oath on May 9th, following which I'll wait for my citizenship certificate, apply for Canadian passport, and surrender Indian passport following receipt of Canadian passport, followed by OCI application.
Overall, in your experience, what would be the overall processing time following the oath?
I'm in Toronto.

Thank you!
4-5 mahina to leke chalo thakur

Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

akhileshtekchand

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-O
AOR Received.
20-02-2020
Med's Done....
03-02-2020
4-5 mahina to leke chalo thakur
4-5 marina? wow okay, thanks!
Trip to India coming up October end, kya Canadian passport pe tickets book karke, Indian eVisa ke line apply car sakte hain, in case OCI is delayed?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
4-5 marina? wow okay, thanks!
Trip to India coming up October end, kya Canadian passport pe tickets book karke, Indian eVisa ke line apply car sakte hain, in case OCI is delayed?
You need to book Canadian passport, surrender and oci appointment now be able to hit this timeline
2 weeks for Canadian passport
1 month for surrender certificate to be completed
2 months for OCI to be completed

Last edited:

akhileshtekchand

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-O
AOR Received.
20-02-2020
Med's Done....
03-02-2020
You need to book Canadian passport, surrender and oci appointment now be able to hit this timeline
2 weeks for passport
1 month for surrender certificate
2 months for OCI
Thanks, just wondering if below can happen side by side once I have my Canadian passport:
1. Apply for eVisa
2. Apply to surrender Indian passport, followed by OCI
Or are the two connected?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks, just wondering if below can happen side by side once I have my Canadian passport:
1. Apply for eVisa
2. Apply to surrender Indian passport, followed by OCI
Or are the two connected?
eVisa does not require surrender of passport tbh.
To surrender you passport you have upto 3 years of time: https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005
Surrender and passport are connected.
  • Surrender has to be done first
  • After you receive Surrender certificate only then you can apply for OCI
But if you are travelling on eVisa you do require a return or forward journey tickets when you decide to travel. and duration of stay will be max 180 days (if you apply for 1yr or 5yr visa) on Canada passport (ref FAQ on https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html)

Last edited:

msatishxp

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, so finally, I'm happy to share that I received my OCI Card today. As typical of BLS, they didn't provide the Purolator tracking no and I didn't expect the delivery guy to arrive at my home yesterday. I wasn't at home but thankfully, they left a note mentioning the pick up place and I picked my OCI card today.

Special thanks to Abbas Pasha for guiding me every step of the way. Without his guidance, I wouldn't have been able to make a successful OCI application.

However, have some final queries and request someone to please answer my queries. I also request to please bear with my queries for the last time so that I can be relieved that there are no issues with my OCI Card. Please find my queries below:

1) At the back of OCI Card where my address is mentioned, there is no postal code. Is this normal?

2) At the front of OCI Card, OCI No is mentioned as OCIC No. Is OCIC No correct as opposed to OCI No?

3) Below my photograph, there is my signature but I notice the placeholder and my signature is slightly above the rectangular box. Is that fine?

Sorry for the queries but just want to confirm everything is fine with my OCI Card as I have travel plans soon and don't want to affect my travel to India.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Hi, so finally, I'm happy to share that I received my OCI Card today. As typical of BLS, they didn't provide the Purolator tracking no and I didn't expect the delivery guy to arrive at my home yesterday. I wasn't at home but thankfully, they left a note mentioning the pick up place and I picked my OCI card today.

Special thanks to Abbas Pasha for guiding me every step of the way. Without his guidance, I wouldn't have been able to make a successful OCI application.

However, have some final queries and request someone to please answer my queries. I also request to please bear with my queries for the last time so that I can be relieved that there are no issues with my OCI Card. Please find my queries below:

1) At the back of OCI Card where my address is mentioned, there is no postal code. Is this normal?

2) At the front of OCI Card, OCI No is mentioned as OCIC No. Is OCIC No correct as opposed to OCI No?

3) Below my photograph, there is my signature but I notice the placeholder and my signature is slightly above the rectangular box. Is that fine?

Sorry for the queries but just want to confirm everything is fine with my OCI Card as I have travel plans soon and don't want to affect my travel to India.
congrats. i'm not at all equipped to answer your queries as i've just applied for a surr cert!! but for your 2nd point, am just guessing that OCIC means OCI Card, so Overseas Citizen of India Card no......just guessin

Reactions: msatishxp

avalon12

Mar 28, 2023
Can I change the address of delivery after submission ? Also, do I need to be physically present to pickup the purolator delivery (do they need a signature)?

I have to move in the next 15 days and this can be an issue for me. Any insight will be really helpful.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

Hey bhagwaan ye phirse aa gaya

Postal code is not mentioned on our OCI as well (It’s the right time to sue BLS :))

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Overseas_Citizenship_of_India#Media/File:New_OCI_Data_Page_JK.jpg

-

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Can I change the address of delivery after submission ? Also, do I need to be physically present to pickup the purolator delivery (do they need a signature)?

I have to move in the next 15 days and this can be an issue for me. Any insight will be really helpful.
Upon delivery purolator asked me to sign(did not check my id)

Last edited:

msatishxp

Jul 30, 2013
Hey bhagwaan ye phirse aa gaya

Postal code is not mentioned on our OCI as well (It’s the right time to sue BLS :))

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Overseas_Citizenship_of_India#Media/File:New_OCI_Data_Page_JK.jpg

-
Hahaha, thanks for your witty replies.

Reactions: abbas.pasha

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
I received my OCI card today.

Date of Application is 11-Feb-2023

OCI Status

Date Of Acknowledgment01-MAR-2023
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- NumberXXXXXXXXX
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn23-MAR-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn24-MAR-2023
Document received AtTORONTOOn24-MAR-2023

BLS Status

Application StatusOriginal documents Dispatched via courier
(Passport Dispatched via Courier)
Courier CompanyPUROLATOR
Contact number for Purolator1.888.744.7123
Airway Bill NoXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Additional Infomation
#CommentsOn
1 Oci card dispatched purolator tracking number - XXXXXXXXX 2023-03-28 02:41:35

Thanks everyone on this thread especially @abbas.pasha for helping out

g99

May 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

For second question, I just got text that my original surrender certificate is on the way to be delivered. Upon opening that SMS link, I could see an option to request delivery without signature, I have opted for that. Now they can deliver without signature.

onkar112

Star Member
Apr 5, 2022

keep calm and follow PASHA !
I always remember Pasha from Family Man series whenever I read reply from abbas.pasha