+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

whimsical

Jul 21, 2016
Apologies in advance, if this was already addressed.

Under Information Booklet for Surrender Certificate Of India Citizenship, its says the below:

(e) Canadian / Foreign Passport (Original and copy)
Please enclose photo page of your Canadian / Foreign Passport having photographs and details of
your passport. Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification, it will be returned back
after verification. Copies must be self-attested (signed) by the applicant.
I was under the understanding we do not need to send our original Canadian passport. Shouldn't self-attested copy suffice?

Hopefully, someone can clarify on this please.

Thanks in advance.

T0r0nt022

Apr 7, 2022
I

Can any one help ? i want to subbmit application at BLS , Brampton . Do they keep the canadian passport or they return back ? Second on my Indian cancelled Passport the last name of father not written but in application i put full name of father with last name , Will it be ok?
I assume you are talking about in person application. Yes, they will hand back your Canadian Passport right after verifying your application. Shouldn't be a problem with including your dad's last name.

shekhar78

Aug 3, 2016
I am seeing a strange issue while submitting online application for a fresh OCI application. My surrendered Indian passport was set to expire on 01/01/2023 (less than 6 months from now).

This (https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/docs/1617812881Step-wise-process-for-OCI-application-new.pdf) indicates that Applicant's passport details should be as per Indian passport. The form does not allow you to enter any date earlier than 6 months from now. This is a mandatory field so I don't see any way forward.

Any one else faced this issue or know how to submit in such case?

ns0090

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
I

Can any one help ? i want to subbmit application at BLS , Brampton . Do they keep the canadian passport or they return back ? Second on my Indian cancelled Passport the last name of father not written but in application i put full name of father with last name , Will it be ok?
They will return Canadian passport if your submit in-person application.

Nobody can answer second question except BLS. Call them and ask for info. I personally would keep all info aligned across all documents before submitting.

tbear

Aug 12, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
London (BWJ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2014
Doc's Request.
26/08/2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application - 7.5
Med's Done....
08/09/2016
Passport Req..
13/09/2016
Hi All

I need advise regarding applying for OCI, my Indian passport has my full name however my Canadian Passport has my first name as XXX and last name has my full name. Will it be an issue ? Any one in similar situation ?

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
I am seeing a strange issue while submitting online application for a fresh OCI application. My surrendered Indian passport was set to expire on 01/01/2023 (less than 6 months from now).

This (https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/docs/1617812881Step-wise-process-for-OCI-application-new.pdf) indicates that Applicant's passport details should be as per Indian passport. The form does not allow you to enter any date earlier than 6 months from now. This is a mandatory field so I don't see any way forward.

Any one else faced this issue or know how to submit in such case?
Fill your Canadian Passport details in the Applicant's Passport Details section.

Ronnie1970

Star Member
May 1, 2021
Apologies in advance, if this was already addressed.

Under Information Booklet for Surrender Certificate Of India Citizenship, its says the below:

(e) Canadian / Foreign Passport (Original and copy)
Please enclose photo page of your Canadian / Foreign Passport having photographs and details of
your passport. Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification, it will be returned back
after verification. Copies must be self-attested (signed) by the applicant.

I was under the understanding we do not need to send our original Canadian passport. Shouldn't self-attested copy suffice?

Hopefully, someone can clarify on this please.

Thanks in advance.
Yes in postal applications only self attested copies need to be sent with a pinned photo to the oci online form amd checklist.

ladjenild

Oct 5, 2022
Has anyone seen any update on their application on the OCI website who received their acknowledgment between the 15th to 20 Oct?

Sonikky

Apr 4, 2016
Hi everyone,

This is my first post regarding OCI application. Below are the details so far:

Submission type: Postal application
Oct 12 - Application picked up by Purolator
Oct 13 - Application delivered to BLS
Oct 17 - Acknowledgement email received from BLS
DateBLS website statusOCI Website status
Oct 17acknowledgement messageno such record found
Oct 21under process, reference no providedno such record found
Oct 25processing at consulate generalno such record found

I believe it will take 3 weeks ish before I see any update on the OCI Website or regarding my application.
I will share an update once available.

Thanks!!!
The oci website still says "no such record found"
No change in BLS website either.

Sonikky

Apr 4, 2016
Has anyone seen any update on their application on the OCI website who received their acknowledgment between the 15th to 20 Oct?
No update on my file. Ack received on Oct 17. Status changed to processing at consulate on Oct 25 on BLS website. Since then no update.

ladjenild

Oct 5, 2022
No update on my file. Ack received on Oct 17. Status changed to processing at consulate on Oct 25 on BLS website. Since then no update.
Is your application date the 17th of October or is the acknowledgment on OCI website the 17th Oct? Both are different.

ns0090

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
For OCI, if we submit application in-person at the BLS, would they verify and give back the original Canadian passport then and there or it would be sent to the consulate along with the application? Thanks.
It will be returned back to you right away

Reactions: wink

Ns@2016

May 20, 2016
No just need for RT-PCR. Just that pdf is fine. They accept on mobile as well but if you can get it printed and staple together with ticket.
they will check it before you get boarding pass.
Thank you very much. this forum is immensely helpful.

shgn86

Jun 24, 2016
My postal application got received on October 6,2022 still it’s showing no record on online portal. I tried calling multiple times but no luck.

do you have any magical formula to reach Bls Surrey ?
same situation here. BLS surrey got my application on October 5 and the BLS website says no record was found. Each time I call them they keep saying will update the portal in 3 to 5 working days. Registered two BLS complaints one responded by saying will update in 3-5 business days and the other said we cannot find your application. I tried calling them the third time and they said we have received your application and can not say when this would be processed. The agent says they receive up to 7000 applications per day.

Ash_Ria_Yoh

Nov 7, 2022
I have applied for OCI by postal at surrey office and courier was received by them on 18th October 2022 but still there is no update on BLS website.

How long it take for status to be appear on BLS website . I am planning to travel india on 26th Dec 2022.

Thank you.
I applied my OCI to Surrey BLS in September 2022 I checked the tracker after a week,just giving them enough time to enter details.But to my surprise, was showing "no records found" for 3 weeks.I decided to go check at the Surrey BLS office mid October.I told the security guy that I need to talk to someone regarding this.Initially he didn't agree.but then let me in.I checked at the front desk and realized that they didn't even open my purulator package.I was so angry as now 3 weeks have passed since I applied.I have to travel on Nov 24th to India,But the tracker says "processing at the Consulate General".My advice to you will be to check at the BLS centre as I think they take their own sweet time to process the postal applications.