+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

surbee

Star Member
Mar 6, 2019
To surrender Indian passport it is not required to have Canadian passport. As long as you have the Citizenship certificate you can surrender your Indian passport. Eventually it can expedite to your OCI application if you have near term India travel plan with OCI status.
Thanks for responding. But, according to this checklist, a Canadian passport is required even for surrendering Indian passport ? https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist-and-Information-Booklet-for-Surrender-Certificate.pdf

Is it a recent change ? Anyone with recent experience at BLS when surrendering ?

Jsaini86

Dec 30, 2019
Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding OCI Part A online application form. I am applying OCI for myself on Self basis.
I have mentioned my spouse name, D.O.B and marriage registration date in the mandatory fields but Haven't mentioned her passport number though (As those fields are not marked as mandatory).
Is it correct?
Any guidance would be most appreciated! Thanks.

Reactions: PMV

PMV

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding OCI Part A online application form. I am applying OCI for myself on Self basis.
I have mentioned my spouse name, D.O.B and marriage registration date in the mandatory fields but Haven't mentioned her passport number though (As those fields are not marked as mandatory).
Is it correct?
I have done exactly the same. Waiting for guidance on this too before I submit.

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
I have done exactly the same. Waiting for guidance on this too before I submit.
Hello everyone.

Is it correct?
I did mention spouse's passport number. In my experience, when it comes to BLS, providing as much information as possible is always better than providing just enough information. That way, they won't have a reason to question your application.

Jsaini86

Dec 30, 2019
I did mention spouse's passport number. In my experience, when it comes to BLS, providing as much information as possible is always better than providing just enough information. That way, they won't have a reason to question your application.
Thanks for info.
so, now like I have not mentioned my spouse passport number & has submitted the application online.
Now do I have to fill a new application again.

PMV

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Thanks for info.
so, now like I have not mentioned my spouse passport number & has submitted the application online.
I personally don’t see the need to fill spouse’s passport info simply because

1) it is not mandatory field
2) the OCI is based on my Indian origin; and not based on my spouse’s OCI or Indian status.

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Thanks for info.
No need to fill a new application. The rule of thumb I try to follow when dealing with such applications: if you have the information available (optional or not), supply it.

Jsaini86

Dec 30, 2019
No need to fill a new application. The rule of thumb I try to follow when dealing with such applications: if you have the information available (optional or not), supply it.
Thanks for info.
But otherwise, are we allowed to fill a new application if we have already submitted one but didn’t sent it yet.

hanin142

Jul 30, 2016
Dubai
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01/11/2016
Doc's Request.
01/03/2017 ITA
AOR Received.
14/03/2017
Hi,
Is there an option to collect the OCIs from BLS eventhough I have opted for delivery? if yes , how many days can I save with that? the reason is we are travelling and the dates look pretty tight.

Jsaini86

Dec 30, 2019
Yes of course, as long as you take the printout of the correct application (the CANT number) and bring it over to BLS.
Thanks once again. And 1 last confusion. In this group, I have seen some people saying that Fees for fresh OCI is CAD 375. But on the checklist & on the bls website it’s showing cad 345. Just want to make sure the correct amount.

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Hi,
Is there an option to collect the OCIs from BLS eventhough I have opted for delivery? if yes , how many days can I save with that? the reason is we are travelling and the dates look pretty tight.
You may want to call the BLS call centre and ask but it should be possible to collect despite opting for delivery. From my experience from opting for postal for the surrender certificate, I wasted a full week. I am presuming based on the older posts on this forum, collecting OCI in person may save you anywhere between 3 days to a week. Again, this is just my understanding.