+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

m3us

Oct 13, 2016
Here are some answers based on my application which I submitted last week
Need Help regarding OCI

2) Present Nationality details- My Name - Canada- Acquisition method- what should I select here from the options? some options confuses me, I got citizenship certificate, parent are non citizens , other , naturalization, registration are left in the options- which one to pick?
I put "Naturalization"

3) when i submitted my surrender application at BLS, i was told by clerk at desk that when I complete OCI application, they asked me to select SELF option for applying OCI

I also put "Relationship with the Root Indian" as "self' since I had an Indian passport earlier

_neil

Apr 30, 2016
I got my canadian pp back in May and I've been lazy in surrendering the Indian citz and getting an OCI - tbh, I don't really want to pay the price for surrendering it lol

Could someone please share their experience regarding:
  1. Surrendering process by courier - I am in Ontario and need to send the docs to Toronto. I am planning to use the pick up and drop off service listed on the BLS site.
    1. Has anyone used it?
    2. Did you send original docs, including your Canadian pp?
    3. Is there anything I should be careful about?
  2. Applying for OCI - I noticed that people have applied for OCI in the same walkin to the BLS center.
    Has anyone applied for OCI in the same courier as the application to surrender citizenship?
TIA!

CanEuro

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
Professional details of the applicant for OCI, it must be letter from employer or just a letter enclosing professional details is enough? Thanks

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
My current Canadian passport set to expire in couple of years. Does anyone know if I will have update info on OCI once new passport received? BLS and OCI website confusing me. I'm not near age of 21 or 50. lol I'm in middle.
As per the most recent rules, you don't have to do anything now until you cross 50 years of age, and then get your first passport renewal. At that point you'll just have to upload a copy of your passport into the OCI portal, thats' it!

hitengshah

Jul 28, 2022
My Passport surrender certificate took exact one week for processing - BLS Brampton, Toronto Walk in
Submitted 15 June
Received 22 June by courier

OCI Application submitted - BLS Brampton, Toronto Walk in
Application submitted on- 29 June 2022

CGI update:
Date Of Acknowledgment 07-JUL-2022

Registration Status at Mission TORONTO

Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 28-JUL-2022

Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 29-JUL-2022

Document received At TORONTO On 29-JUL-2022

Now waiting to dispatch and receive.

Gracious Chap

Jul 11, 2022
As per the most recent rules, you don't have to do anything now until you cross 50 years of age, and then get your first passport renewal. At that point you'll just have to upload a copy of your passport into the OCI portal, thats' it!
Thank you. So no need to upload new passport info when it expires in couple of years? Only at/after 50 years of age? I understand they will issue new OCI at 51 years of age.

FMCAD

Jun 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here are some answers based on my application which I submitted last week

I put "Naturalization"

I also put "Relationship with the Root Indian" as "self' since I had an Indian passport earlier

Thank you for your response , appreciate.

Other's please can someone answer my Question No. 1 i posted earlier today. Thanks

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
Thank you. So no need to upload new passport info when it expires in couple of years? Only at/after 50 years of age? I understand they will issue new OCI at 51 years of age.
No I believe they've even done away with issuing a new OCI after 50. Now you just need to upload a copy of your passport and a new passport size pic on the OCI portal, that's it.

Reactions: Gracious Chap

Gracious Chap

Jul 11, 2022
Need Help regarding OCI

1.) I am currently completing OCI application form, in Part B , question 1 is " have you or any of your family member applied OCI registration earlier? if Yes provide details- My sibling lives in Australia, and is Australian Citizen and already have OCI, do I require to input there OCI application information for this question or just answer as No?

2) Present Nationality details- My Name - Canada- Acquisition method- what should I select here from the options? some options confuses me, I got citizenship certificate, parent are non citizens , other , naturalization, registration are left in the options- which one to pick?

3) when i submitted my surrender application at BLS, i was told by clerk at desk that when I complete OCI application, they asked me to select SELF option for applying OCI

and the second thing they mentioned was to upload COPR scan in Visa section- now on completing my OCI application in Upload documents section I see "Indian Visa" tab- is this where I need to upload scan on COPR? I don't have Indian Visa, just Canadian Passport. - have anyone uploaded COPR/ in Indian Visa section?

Please advise, Thank you in advance
You OCI document will only have info about your parents and spouse. Siblings information will not be asked/needed.

Reactions: FMCAD

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
For Montreal BLS Appointment available for today, it is allowing to book. Hurry if anyone from Montreal need it. Available timings are

9:20
11:20
11:40

thanks

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
status update. Changed to processed, after 43 after date of acknowledgement, 50 days after application. waiting for it to be dispatched and sent.
Timeline in signature.
Happy for you bud! It gives me hope that it will be processed within 8 weeks.

Thanks for the update!

Reactions: koolbuddy

koolbuddy

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Happy for you bud! It gives me hope that it will be processed within 8 weeks.

Thanks for the update!
from processed to deliver is another story, unlike for toronto folks its same or next day. for ottawa applicants its more than a week.

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
from processed to deliver is another story, unlike for toronto folks its same or next day. for ottawa applicants its more than a week.
I received surrender certificate in 3 days since status changed from transit to bls to ready for collection.

I have opted for pickup. Purolator is another small delay to be added.