Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
For your hydro bill, if I understood correctly, they just need one address proof, I saw in checklist, you can provide, internet or hydro or DL, any one will work so probably then your DL worked. Dunno if your DL had your current address, if not maybe then they just did it like...yea whateva :)

Damn, you're right. I spoke with an agent again, it keeps changing. For the in-person, I am trying to book an appointment but all booked out. So I actually ended up going with Purolator pick&drop off for surrender, waiting for surrender to complete.
That's OK for the profession, I will just get the employment letter from my employer, it doesn't hurt :)

Can you verify with me that during surrender and OCI, along with copies what original documents we need to send? Like just Indian passport?
AND
copies did you self sign for OCI process?
AND
For the part B of the form, where they ask " do you have relatives living in India" , we put yes? and then do we mention our parents and siblings normally if applicant is unmarried as a part of the answer?
I did mention before that I did walk-in for both SC and OCI at BLS Brampton so during SC I submitted Canadian Citizenship cert copy, Indian PP original and copy, signed application along with a declaration that I have not applied for Canadian PP. They viewed my Canadian Citizenship Cert original and gave it back to me on the spot

Same goes with OCI they viewed my original SC with Indian PP, Canadian PP original. I submitted all copies the originals were returned immediately on the spot.

If it is a postal application then am not sure what originals need to be sent. I just did not want to take the risk of handing over the Docs to some 3rd party which I do not trust

Again, for signature I did not sign on any copies all I did was sign on the application that's it

I did mention my family info about my parents. This info will be printed on OCI card i.e. parents names and spouse name if applicable.

Reactions: crips and plzhelpme

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hi all,

I am planning to try walk-in for surrendering my Indian passport. Both Toronto and Brampton locations work for me. Does anyone have any recent experience with walk-ins? If it takes a long time to get in, I will try to book an appointment. Appreciate your inputs!

I would suggest you to head to BLS Brampton. Based on my exp it was hassle free and easy. The crowd is not too much these days. I have a few friends who have done SC and Entry Visa at BLS Brampton they were out within 2 hours so it depends on when you actually go there. You can go on Saturdays the walk in line will start around 6 AM office opens after 8 AM

I would not recommend Toronto as I have read in this thread that they try to fleece money out of us by asking us to pay more for postal service and all.

I would also suggest to pay for postal return of processed docs as the Pick up line is more and they only offer pick up from 3 tp 4:15 PM

Now, SC processing time is down to 7 - 10 days OCI is about 6-7 weeks

Please check signature for a timeline for OCI

Good Luck

Reactions: CanEuro and Gks87

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Do they return the original surrender certificate back when applying for OCI?
It usually depends on how you apply If in person at BLS Brampton then no need to submit they just view and give it back. If Toronto then they will take it.

If you are asking about Original SC with cancelled Indian PP then yes. In any circumstance that has to be returned to the applicant as that is the only proof outside India that you were an Indian before.

Last edited:

Gks87

Sep 7, 2016
I would suggest you to head to BLS Brampton. Based on my exp it was hassle free and easy. The crowd is not too much these days. I have a few friends who have done SC and Entry Visa at BLS Brampton they were out within 2 hours so it depends on when you actually go there. You can go on Saturdays the walk in line will start around 6 AM office opens after 8 AM

I would not recommend Toronto as I have read in this thread that they try to fleece money out of us by asking us to pay more for postal service and all.

I would also suggest to pay for postal return of processed docs as the Pick up line is more and they only offer pick up from 3 tp 4:15 PM

Now, SC processing time is down to 7 - 10 days OCI is about 6-7 weeks

Please check signature for a timeline for OCI

Good Luck
Thank you very much for your detailed response. I will go to BLS Brampton.

nerd

Jan 15, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
while checking the status in BLS you can the file reference number which starts with CANV
That's also your Application number
Thanks.
When I check using that it just says "No such record found".
Maybe it takes a couple of weeks to start tracking.

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
Looks like slow process! Let's hope they meet 6-8 weeks written Processing time.
haha that processing time is actually quite good for OCI, compared to how it was a month ago!

Reactions: Swappy

crips

Jan 31, 2017
Hello All, I'm applying OCI for my baby. Can anyone please let me know if
1. Baby photo can have white background ?
2. notice of assessment is acceptable proof of address ?

koolbuddy

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hi... anyone with may last week acknowledgement date through ottawa? I see a couple of them with june first week still waiting "under-process".

Swappy

Star Member
Mar 16, 2018
oh man, you are lucky.. mine has been in under process since 17th Jun.. should i be worried ?
So hard to say, I personally would not, since it will only add to the stress. Been dealing with immigration since 2010, be it IRCC and this, I have learned not to really worry about things I cannot control, and never have any expectations, as they only increase anxiety. Just keep checking once a week.

Reactions: alexpolis007