+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

nerd

Jan 15, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I finally submitted the OCI application by postal to BLS Brampton.
Status check on BLS website shows "Processing at Consulate General".
Now trying to check progress at ociservices.gov.in
It is asking for a "File reference number".
Anyone has any idea where I can find that?

thanks!
nerd.

canadalove85

Aug 4, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I recently applied for OCI of my infant daughter from Halifax via Postal application (Toronto Jurisdiction)

Below is my timeline:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
28 March : Application Sent via Purolator
06 April : Application shows as "Processing at Consulate General"
=> No change in status as of 09 May
=> I still haven't received my originals back.
=> OCI-Services Status enquiry says "No Record Found"

I called BLS last week, they said it takes 4-5 weeks for OCI process to complete. (How I wish) :(
Does anyone else have a similar experience / timeline ?
Hey whats the status on ur application? Did u get the originals back yet?

tamilvanan3

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
So I finally submitted the OCI application by postal to BLS Brampton.
Status check on BLS website shows "Processing at Consulate General".
Now trying to check progress at ociservices.gov.in
It is asking for a "File reference number".
Anyone has any idea where I can find that?

thanks!
nerd.
Hi
while checking the status in BLS you can the file reference number which starts with CANV
That's also your Application number

May 9, 2022
Hey whats the status on ur application? Did u get the originals back yet?
Yes, got the originals after my application started showing on the oci status enquiry site.
it seems that all these days, my application was just sitting at BLS.
After almost 3 months we finally got OCI for our daughter.

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
So, what is the date of acknowledgement that's currently being processed? a few days ago it was June 15! I hope it's reached at least June 20 by now!

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Just applied for india entry visa today at BLS brampton in morning. Now showing
Application StatusUnder Process
In Transit from BLS Centre to Consulat General
today status
Application StatusProcessing at Consulate General

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
- Not necessarily offer letter but any letter that confirms your name and employer issued on a letter head would be sufficient
I asked BLS about it, they said if you work for govt sector then it's needed, if you work privately, then it's optional. I find it weird since they don't mention it on checklist Ottawa, unclear.....

-For the copies, you mentioned self signed not required? That's what you mean? Cause they said copies must be self signed(over the phone), again here checklist is unclear cause it doesn't say anything on self signed for fresh OCI's
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ottawa-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist_Information_Booklet_for_OCI_2jun22NN.pdf

-Processing times are looking good and thankfully the call centers are also easily reachable, so kudos to that.
This is the exact problem. The rules are different across different BLS locations on the websites they inform us one thing and on the phone they say one thing when you actually show up at BLS location near you they tell you another thing.

For e.g. I did not have my current ID proof as I moved. For that the person on the phone mentioned I needed Hydro Bill copy at-least of the current address. When I went to BLS Brampton they did not even care to verify all they took was my DL Copy and they did not need the Bill

I was in the same boat as you are but I have read through this Forum Topic extensively since September 2021 (Oath date was scheduled at that time) and was able to make very informed decisions without asking too many queries here and BLS customer care.

It only made sense to do in person submission and pick up for me

Whatever they told on phone only makes sense on what you mention in the application. As OCI will have your profession printed in the booklet that is what you have mentioned in your application so if you mentioned govt. service then it will be printed on it. I just mentioned as Professional in the drop down in the application that is printed on my OCI booklet

I never had to sign anywhere except for the application itself.

I'd suggest you use due diligence and make sure to submit in person as that is the best way to get all your answers at the BLS location closest to you and also can make an in-person submission without further delays.

Also, If you plan to go in-person you should definitely carry all your docs along with a laptop in case they spot any mistake in your application.

Good Luck

plzhelpme

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
This is the exact problem. The rules are different across different BLS locations on the websites they inform us one thing and on the phone they say one thing when you actually show up at BLS location near you they tell you another thing.

For e.g. I did not have my current ID proof as I moved. For that the person on the phone mentioned I needed Hydro Bill copy at-least of the current address. When I went to BLS Brampton they did not even care to verify all they took was my DL Copy and they did not need the Bill

I was in the same boat as you are but I have read through this Forum Topic extensively since September 2021 (Oath date was scheduled at that time) and was able to make very informed decisions without asking too many queries here and BLS customer care.

It only made sense to do in person submission and pick up for me

Whatever they told on phone only makes sense on what you mention in the application. As OCI will have your profession printed in the booklet that is what you have mentioned in your application so if you mentioned govt. service then it will be printed on it. I just mentioned as Professional in the drop down in the application that is printed on my OCI booklet

I never had to sign anywhere except for the application itself.

I'd suggest you use due diligence and make sure to submit in person as that is the best way to get all your answers at the BLS location closest to you and also can make an in-person submission without further delays.

Also, If you plan to go in-person you should definitely carry all your docs along with a laptop in case they spot any mistake in your application.

Good Luck
For your hydro bill, if I understood correctly, they just need one address proof, I saw in checklist, you can provide, internet or hydro or DL, any one will work so probably then your DL worked. Dunno if your DL had your current address, if not maybe then they just did it like...yea whateva :)

Damn, you're right. I spoke with an agent again, it keeps changing. For the in-person, I am trying to book an appointment but all booked out. So I actually ended up going with Purolator pick&drop off for surrender, waiting for surrender to complete.
That's OK for the profession, I will just get the employment letter from my employer, it doesn't hurt :)

Can you verify with me that during surrender and OCI, along with copies what original documents we need to send? Like just Indian passport?
AND
copies did you self sign for OCI process?
AND
For the part B of the form, where they ask " do you have relatives living in India" , we put yes? and then do we mention our parents and siblings normally if applicant is unmarried as a part of the answer?

Last edited:

m3us

Oct 13, 2016
Submitted surrender certificate application on july 2nd and got it on july 13th. Thanks for all the help.

Gks87

Sep 7, 2016
Hi all,

I am planning to try walk-in for surrendering my Indian passport. Both Toronto and Brampton locations work for me. Does anyone have any recent experience with walk-ins? If it takes a long time to get in, I will try to book an appointment. Appreciate your inputs!

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application