+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

jagadishgandhi

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
I had a poor experience with BLS Toronto today.

The BLS Toronto staff didn't accept my application, stating that my wife's passport details are missing. My wife is yet to receive her Canadian passport, and this is an individual application. Spouse's passport detail fields are optional in the online application.

The staff member insisted that it is mandatory to provide the spouse's passport details. I tried reasoning with her. But she was adamant and went on a power trip. I think she is the supervisor there. She suggested filing as 'Single' if I don't have my wife's passport details. Wouldn't that be a misrepresentation of my status?

BLS Toronto seems to make up arbitrary and illogical rules. It's frustrating. Should I try BLS Brampton or wait till my wife gets her passport?

Reactions: ajtoronto

AKT

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017

The BLS Toronto staff didn't accept my application, stating that my wife's passport details are missing. My wife is yet to receive her Canadian passport, and this is an individual application. Spouse's passport detail fields are optional in the online application.

The staff member insisted that it is mandatory to provide the spouse's passport details. I tried reasoning with her. But she was adamant and went on a power trip. I think she is the supervisor there. She suggested filing as 'Single' if I don't have my wife's passport details. Wouldn't that be a misrepresentation of my status?

BLS Toronto seems to make up arbitrary and illogical rules. It's frustrating. Should I try BLS Brampton or wait till my wife gets her passport?
I suggest wait for her passport to keep things straight.

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017

That is lack of knowledge on BLS part.. I can be a citizen, yet choose not to have a passport! Being a citizen does not make it mandatory for me to have a passport. Utter nonsense from BLS

jagadishgandhi

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
I suggest wait for her passport to keep things straight.
I'm afraid BLS will ask for the original and photocopy of her passport and attested marriage certificate next. They are idiots with no common sense.

That is lack of knowledge on BLS part.. I can be a citizen, yet choose not to have a passport! Being a citizen does not make it mandatory for me to have a passport. Utter nonsense from BLS
Exactly. I tried explaining the same. She was in no mood to listen. She is not a consular officer and has no authority to refuse my application submission. Unfortunately, there are no reasonable people in BLS Toronto to listen to you. She happens to be the supervisor of that location (At least that's what I have been told).

Did anyone ever write/escalate to Toronto Consulate? Just wondering if it is even worth the effort.

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
I'm afraid BLS will ask for the original and photocopy of her passport and attested marriage certificate next. They are idiots with no common sense.

Exactly. I tried explaining the same. She was in no mood to listen. She is not a consular officer and has no authority to refuse my application submission. Unfortunately, there are no reasonable people in BLS Toronto to listen to you. She happens to be the supervisor of that location (At least that's what I have been told).

Did anyone ever write/escalate to Toronto Consulate? Just wondering if it is even worth the effort.
Sending any complaint or seeking clarifications from Consulate is mere waste of time.. Consulate office (which is supposed to work for the ppl) appears to be just a profit making unit and is only interested in knowing how many demand drafts are coming their way.. telling you from my personal experience!
Writing to BLS, Consulate, Consul general or even MEA for that matter is of no use, and will fall on deaf ears :(

jagadishgandhi

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Sending any complaint or seeking clarifications from Consulate is mere waste of time.. Consulate office (which is supposed to work for the ppl) appears to be just a profit making unit and is only interested in knowing how many demand drafts are coming their way.. telling you from my personal experience!
Writing to BLS, Consulate, Consul general or even MEA for that matter is of no use, and will fall on deaf ears :(
That's unfortunate. We are at the mercy of a contractor, and we are left to deal with their whims and fancies.

souvik126

Apr 23, 2022
What time it got updated to processed ?
My ack date on OCI is May 25th. I am planning to put entry visa application if OCI status doesn't update to "Processed" by morning of June 16th.
I need to travel on July 2nd
You should be good, what I heard people are getting entry visa in 1 week worst case 2week. I am on same boat but unfortunately my travel date is June 28 so I am applying visa on Monday if I dont find any update on OCI status.

ashishm999

Star Member
Nov 7, 2021
You should be good, what I heard people are getting entry visa in 1 week worst case 2week. I am on same boat but unfortunately my travel date is June 28 so I am applying visa on Monday if I dont find any update on OCI status.
Yes, this is approx 1 week or 7 working days for entry visa.
What is your acknowledgement date on OCI Portal.
If it is same as mine i,e, May 25th , then you have good chance to get OCI processed mid-next week.
For my case, application date is May 2nd on BLS site , OCI ack date on OCI portal is May 25th.

souvik126

Apr 23, 2022
Yes, this is approx 1 week or 7 working days for entry visa.
What is your acknowledgement date on OCI Portal.
If it is same as mine i,e, May 25th , then you have good chance to get OCI processed mid-next week.
For my case, application date is May 2nd on BLS site , OCI ack date on OCI portal is May 25th.
Mine is OCI submitted at BLS (in person): May 6
Consulate site acknowledgement date: May 25
It seems to be standard 21 days to change to PROCESSED status so probably June 15. But I have lost faith with BLS as when they will deliver (or will mess up) and also if it does not get updated then June 15 is less than 2 weeks from my travel to apply for visa so I don’t want to risk it at any cost. My biggest regret is Passport surrender is now happening in a week but when I submitted they took 2 months killing my prime time.