+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

ashishm999

Star Member
Nov 7, 2021
Mine is OCI submitted at BLS (in person): May 6
Consulate site acknowledgement date: May 25
It seems to be standard 21 days to change to PROCESSED status so probably June 15. But I have lost faith with BLS as when they will deliver (or will mess up) and also if it does not get updated then June 15 is less than 2 weeks from my travel to apply for visa so I don’t want to risk it at any cost. My biggest regret is Passport surrender is now happening in a week but when I submitted they took 2 months killing my prime time.
I am noticing that within 2-3 days it moves from PROCESSED to Counter Delivery to BLS/Ready for dispatch. You can then probably collect it from BLS center as soon as you find that it is being delivered to BLS. Also, please post it here as soon as you find your status being changed. I will do the same.

Reactions: souvik126

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hello there, My frnd is Canadian PR holder and waiting for citizenship. His Indian passport has expired. Due to citizenship processing delays he decided to get it renewed and plan a trip to India. Can anyone let us know as PR holder address will canadian, will there be any physical police verification at Indian address?? We appreciate your quick response.
Also if passport renewal done in tatkal process how much time it takes these days. Will there be police enquiry?? If so when as the passport will be handed soon.

ashishm999

Star Member
Nov 7, 2021
I am noticing that within 2-3 days it moves from PROCESSED to Counter Delivery to BLS/Ready for dispatch. You can then probably collect it from BLS center as soon as you find that it is being delivered to BLS.
Hello there, My frnd is Canadian PR holder and waiting for citizenship. His Indian passport has expired. Due to citizenship processing delays he decided to get it renewed and plan a trip to India. Can anyone let us know as PR holder address will canadian, will there be any physical police verification at Indian address?? We appreciate your quick response.
Also if passport renewal done in tatkal process how much time it takes these days. Will there be police enquiry?? If so when as the passport will be handed soon.
Yes you would need to provide Canadian address as permanent and enter alternate address as Indian address in forms. Try to provide Indian address for which you have adhaar card, old Indian passport or some other Indian docs which can be provided during police verification in India. If you go for Tatkaal, you will first get passport and police verification would be done later. Probably you yourself can help in police verification in India if you are travelling soon after getting passport . Hope this will help.

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
You may opt for both options for the address to be mentioned on the Indian Passport. Giving Canadian address would perhaps be easier, just submit address proof. I had done that.

Police verification was still carried out though, perhaps if not for Indian address verification, but for other background checks required for Indian govt. For that, they need someone (not necessarily you) to be actually present on the Indian address the day Police gives a visit, and also two neighbors who would all give their selfies on their official Phone/Tablet. I had a hard time arranging/synchronizing this.

I am not fully sure however, if they do police verification for everyone, or just specially/randomly selected ones. BLS status and an email from them will let you know if they go for that.

nawalasansol

May 29, 2017
Has anyone recently applied for an entry visa? I did this Saturday. I am hoping to get it in 10 days, as I have a ticket to travel on the 29th to Indra. My OCI is still in progress.

stuff14

Jun 20, 2021
After we receive the Canadian passport, can we apply for Indian visa and travel to India using that ? It seems getting OCI card takes a few weeks/month atleast and I've an urgent trip to India planned. Also, do we need to surrender Indian citizenship necessarily before applying for Indian visa ?

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
After we receive the Canadian passport, can we apply for Indian visa and travel to India using that ? It seems getting OCI card takes a few weeks/month atleast and I've an urgent trip to India planned. Also, do we need to surrender Indian citizenship necessarily before applying for Indian visa ?
Of course you can apply for (multiple) Entry Visa. That's what the new Canadian Passport is for.
Yes, I think you do need to surrender the Indian Passport and obtain the Surrender Certificate. Some people have applied for both of these together.

Last edited:

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
You may opt for both options for the address to be mentioned on the Indian Passport. Giving Canadian address would perhaps be easier, just submit address proof. I had done that.

Police verification was still carried out though, perhaps if not for Indian address verification, but for other background checks required for Indian govt. For that, they need someone (not necessarily you) to be actually present on the Indian address the day Police gives a visit, and also two neighbors who would all give their selfies on their official Phone/Tablet. I had a hard time arranging/synchronizing this.

I am not fully sure however, if they do police verification for everyone, or just specially/randomly selected ones. BLS status and an email from them will let you know if they go for that.
Not sure if this is something new. We renewed passports in 2018 and did not undergo any Police verification (police man calling or visiting at Indian address)
Also our passports were still valid during renewal. Not sure if this has any impact (expired or still valid passport being renewed)

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
https://mea.gov.in/lok-sabha.htm?dtl/28258/question+no4461+police+verification+for+passports

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
Not sure if this is something new. We renewed passports in 2018 and did not undergo any Police verification (police man calling or visiting at Indian address)
Also our passports were still valid during renewal. Not sure if this has any impact (expired or still valid passport being renewed)
I got them done last year (2021) and before expiry (so they were valid).
As I hinted at earlier, I think they have their own way to selecting whether to go for physical police verification or not.

Reactions: delray55