+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Afzakl Ansari

Jul 24, 2014
Hi,
I had few questions regarding the OCI process:
1) Is the fees OCI fees now $345 - To 'Consulate General of India - Toronto'? Yes (plus BLS fees - you can pay at the counter if walk-in)
2) We can't apply for SC + OCI together now? (you can't apply for SC and OCI together)
3) Can someone help verify the checklist for minor
- Online Application form (Get thumb impression/Signature of the Minor Under Declaration and both Parents needs to sign on Page 3 under Application for Minor child section )
- Canadian birth certificate (do we need to get it attested?) (self-attested by both parents is sufficient. BLS will keep Original Birth certificate and will return it in 2-3 weeks)
- Parent's passport copy (Yes - self-attested by parents on their respective copy of passport)
- Marriage Certificate (Yes)
- Address Proof of parents's (Yes)
- NOC (with photos attached) (Yes)
- Canadian passport copy (self-attested copy of child's passport)
- Applicant(Minor's) Passport Photo (51mm x 51mm)

If both the parent's are Canadian with mother holding OCI - do we need to attach her OCI copy? (If parents are Canadian/foreign national – Passport copy of parents are required to be enclosed, with old Indian Passport copies of parents) Checklist doesn't mention OCI details but keep OCI copy handy as well

Thanks in advance :)

- Remember to upload self-attested copies on OCI portal and Carry self-attested physical copies of all documents when going to BLS
- Carry all Original Passports/OCI booklet + Child's Birth certificate(long form - includes parent's detail)

Last edited:

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends,

I have few queries:

- Is it possible to apply for OCI (after receiving Surrender Certificate) along with Entry Visa & then visit India on Entry visa for couple of months?
- Will there be any issue if OCI is approved & delivered in Canada, while we are still in India on Entry Visa?
- Are 6 months Entry Visa always multiple entry if we ask for it, or they can issue single entry visa as well?

Thank you in advance.

K310

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
Hi friends,

I have few queries:

- Is it possible to apply for OCI (after receiving Surrender Certificate) along with Entry Visa & then visit India on Entry visa for couple of months?
- Will there be any issue if OCI is approved & delivered in Canada, while we are still in India on Entry Visa?
- Are 6 months Entry Visa always multiple entry if we ask for it, or they can issue single entry visa as well?

Thank you in advance.
Yes you can apply for oci and entry visa

Mostly they will ask for oci while existing India and you can say it’s approved and you haven’t received yet not a big issue

While filing form for entry visa you have to select for single or multiple entry

Reactions: softwaretesting

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
Okay so based on all the feedback I got here, is started getting forms ready for both surrender certificate & Entry visa anticipating that my citizenship certificate will be in my hands in the next 10-12 days.
While filling up the forms for Entry visa, passport details are mandatory. How do I bypass this without having my Canadian Passport in hands yet?

K310

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
Okay so based on all the feedback I got here, is started getting forms ready for both surrender certificate & Entry visa anticipating that my citizenship certificate will be in my hands in the next 10-12 days.
While filling up the forms for Entry visa, passport details are mandatory. How do I bypass this without having my Canadian Passport in hands yet?
Canadian passport mandatory for entry visa and oci

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
Canadian passport mandatory for entry visa and oci
Oh is it? Lot of other members here said I can apply for Surrender and Entry visa at the same time before the passport comes. I must have missed something!

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Oh is it? Lot of other members here said I can apply for Surrender and Entry visa at the same time before the passport comes. I must have missed something!
They said you can apply for surrender certificate. not entry visa in absence of canadian passport. The entry visa will be stamped on your Canadian passport
if you have candian passport you can apply surrender certificate and entry visa togather
For surrender certificate only application if bls ask Canadian passport you can give a explanation letter.
Also remember if you apply for surrender certificate only you have to submit your Indian passport so should there be need to travel for you there is no travel document.

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
They said you can apply for surrender certificate. not entry visa. The entry visa will be stamped on your Canadian passport
if you have candian passport you can apply surrender certificate and entry visa togather
For surrender certificate if they ask Canadian passport you can give a explanation letter.
Also remember if you apply for surrender certificate you have to submit your Indian passport so should there be need to travel for you there is no travel document.
Got it. thank you.

psaini

Oct 1, 2017
For my postal application in BC my current BLS application status is "(Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping)". When I applied I sent self attested copies of my documents including passport and cititzenship. Does anyone know if I will be asked to post the original documents now? I have some travel coming up early July so I want to make sure I get all my documents back in time. Thanks!

rajneeshv

Apr 27, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
Nomination.....
22-9-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
14-11-2014 (Med Rcvd: 21Feb)
Interview........
Decision Made : 20-3-2015
Passport Req..
31-3-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-4-2015
LANDED..........
16-10-2015
We received Canadian Passports on 15th March. Received SCs on 10th May.

OCI App (postal) Timelines for my family (myself, wife and son):
Apps Reached BLS Brampton: 16th May
BLS Status changed to "Under Process" : 19th May
BLS Status Changed to "Processing at Consulate": 24th May

We have India tickets booked for 1st Aug. I don't want to apply for Entry Visa. I've already spent lot of money on 3 Canadian Passports (express service), 3 SCs, 3 OCI apps, BLS Purolator Couriers and India Tickets. I hope we'll get the OCIs before our planned travel date. I'll keep you guys posted.

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
@sundeep_s_ This is exactly the reason I emphasized on reading the posts a couple of times so you understand clearly what is written in this blog before coming to a conclusion.

K310

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 2017

We have India tickets booked for 1st Aug. I don't want to apply for Entry Visa. I've already spent lot of money on 3 Canadian Passports (express service), 3 SCs, 3 OCI apps, BLS Purolator Couriers and India Tickets. I hope we'll get the OCIs before our planned travel date. I'll keep you guys posted.
It’s little bit tight I mean sometimes OCI takes more than 2 months. I guess if it’s possible just take some buffer by extending India tickets for a month.

I submitted my oci application on April 30th at Bls Branpton I had appointment when staff says currently turn around time for OCI is 3 months.

Reactions: manu.yoganand

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017

Looking at the trend, you should receive it around the 3rd week ofJuly. Its a touch n go situation. I would recommend having a back up option of applying for visa around the 2nd week of July, depending upon the status at that time.

Reactions: delray55