Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hello Everyone,

I am just beginning to start with this whole surrender certificate / OCI process and had a question:

How difficult is it to apply in person at the BLS office in Toronto? Is there a long line up and is the chance of being turned away high?

I am inclined to apply via mail to avoid the whole line up at the office but I am not sure as the process can be unpredictable and am afraid my application may get returned after a few weeks in case some document is missing.

Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks!
There are a lot of appointments available until August now at BLS Toronto and Brampton, I suggest you better reserve your appointment. I had done for both at least 4 weeks in advance. I can definitely say that the Submission and Drop off both experiences were great for me. I did both at Brampton BLS location.

@ms453

Reactions: Hot2Cold

ms453

Star Member
Mar 9, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
Well make sure to triple check you documentation otherwise they will make you pay for the postal again if there is any mistake. My friend ended up paying 3 times for courier for PCC service that was almost $ 240 + the application fee. For no reason. I would still recommend for an in-person submission at least you get a chance to re-submit which happened with me for SC last month on 6th April 2022. I had a few errors in my application the staff member at the counter req. met to redo the whole thing and return before 1:30 PM this was at Brampton BLS location it is open until 2 PM. They accepted my application it was completed and I received my cancelled passport along with SC yesterday. It was ready for pickup on 11 May 2022. It was an in person pick-up at Brampton BLS again it depends on the location you opt for.
Oh yes this is good to know - thanks for sharing it is very helpful!

ms453

Star Member
Mar 9, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
There are a lot of appointments available until August now at BLS Toronto and Brampton, I suggest you better reserve your appointment. I had done for both at least 4 weeks in advance. I can definitely say that the Submission and Drop off both experiences were great for me. I did both at Brampton BLS location.

@ms453
Okay I will take a look into it - thanks again! Appreciate it!

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Hello everybody. My application status says 'Processing at High Commission'. Does anybody have an idea if I would get back my original documents at this stage? Can other Ottawa or postal applicants please shed some light? Thank you.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
It seems that Vancouver Jurisdiction has quietly removed the requirement for having an appointment for OCIs! They have updated their pop-up message. :)
Also I noticed couple of posts here that appointments are charged $15 by BLS - is that true and something new??

Reactions: canadamaple

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
Could have read the experience on the forum( both ways it was late as i saw the post just after i handed over to the purolator), I sent the paper for my Son and i we both signed it (My wofe & Myself). Stating we didn't hold or renewed or applied for any passport other than the expired one. a formal cover letter. Hope they will update, called them and they said 24-48 hrs needed to update as they were flooded with too many emails on status. this was the email i got.

Dear Alex,

Greetings from BLS International Services Canada Inc.
We are pleased to receive your application for Passport Surrender. We regret to inform you that upon careful scrutiny the following documents are found to be missing:
-Kindly provide a duly signed cover letter addressing it to 'The HCI, Ottawa', as there is a gap between the expiry of the Indian passport and the acquisition of Canadian citizenship.
Note: - Provide the requested document as an attachment to the email.
--
Thanks & Regards,

BLS International Services Canada Inc.
Ottawa Jurisdiction
www.blsindia-canada.com
Phone: 1-613-755-2072
Email: ottawa@blsinternational.net

Please consider the environment before printing this email

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
It seems that Vancouver Jurisdiction has quietly removed the requirement for having an appointment for OCIs! They have updated their pop-up message. :)
Also I noticed couple of posts here that appointments are charged $15 by BLS - is that true and something new??

Just saw this on the High Commission Page (it says updated April 11, 2022 - I never saw this before):

Resumption of Walk-in facility for Consular Services

Consequent to the easing of COVID-19 restrictions related to public gatherings, walk-in Consular Services rendered by BLS International Services Ltd. have resumed, subject to the prevailing public health norms.

2. Applications for following services can now be submitted at BLS International Centres in Ottawa and in Montreal (for Consular jurisdiction of High Commission of India, Ottawa) under walk-in mode :
  • (a) Visas
  • (b) OCIs
  • (c) PCCs
  • (d) Surrender Certificates; and
  • (e) Indian Passports

Reactions: vvarma and Hot2Cold

ajtoronto

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
Toronto
Hi guys , from all the experienced people here just wanted to check what original documents are BLS toronto keeping for OCI ? Will they just check originals and return . I have appointment on monday so please do confirm
Let us know how this goes? I am going in 2 weeks and hoping they do not keep the Canadian Passport as I need to travel the following week.

BVRM

Mar 25, 2022
hi all,

what is the timeline for surrendering Indian passport after receiving citizenship ? I don't have any travel plans for 2-3 yrs.
And i was hoping I can surrender passport after 2-3 yrs. will there be any issue or charges for not surrendering passport. (just an FYI; I will not travel with Indian passport in the meantime, its just that i don't want to spend immediately on surrendering Indian passport, i rather do it when there is a need to travel to India and apply for OCI)
OCI is just Not for mere travelling to India. It entitles you to certain status( OCI). It will be hard to get it processed quickly when you need.

dushyant2809

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent
Just wanted to share update with everyone here for people interested in tracking Surrender certificate timelines, applied in person at Surrey on May 3rd, received today by courier May 16th so effectively less than 2 weeks.
that was really very fast.
Here in GTA, it took me almost 2 months.

carguy

Dec 15, 2014
It varies e.g. Cancelled Indian Passport (in case of most adults) and Canadian Birth Certificate (in case of most children born in Canada)

But that's something new, they were not keeping the originals earlier. Moreover not all BLS centers are keeping the originals.

In my opinion, be ready for any original to be kept because its just a tactic for BLS Toronto to make more money by selling their expensive courier fees multiple times for originals and OCI. So BLS is just keeping the original document for fun.

Don't believe me, try asking them that you can to pickup that original document yourself OR ask them not to courier it separately, instead club it with OCI courier since they force courier charges for OCI anyway. They will give you excuses like timeline is different or documents are sent by consulate directly. All that is BS (you can track eventually the source and destination).

Questioning them for anything impacts their shady business method. So if you just agree to their monopoly/shady extortion, you may get better rate/service from them actually.

Here are few examples (feel free to skip):

1) Playing-along nicely with them: Didn't question them on anything today. Process went smooth. I got charged $30 per courier (i.e. $60 for OCI and Original document)

2) Questioning them: Few weeks ago during my Surrender Certificate (+ my friend's for OCI application), we questioned them at multiple points. The BLS guy was rude and charged $35 per courier (for my surrender certificate, my friends original, OCI etc.)

3) Playing-along nicely with them: One family next to us had some issues with their application. They agreed to take lot of BLS in-house services like photo (didn't question on couriers etc.) and paid the whole amount but application had many mistakes + documents were missing too. BLS person asked them to come after 1 hour or so with all the corrections (its common and people don't need appointment again). Even gave them an option to email instead of visiting.

4) Questioning them: One saw another family next to me today like last time but this couple questioned them on few points. They came in for their minor's OCI and the lady was pregnant with another child but she still came to be on safer side. We all know how complex is the overall process for a person applying OCI for the first time, you are certain to miss a document or make a mistake. Now this couple could have got all the options like last time couple but no they were asked to go back and get the appointment again after corrections (they got today's appointment 3 months ago). Walk-in is highly challenging these days, especially for pregnant women to wait for hours outside.

BLS people are bit bossy and they don't like to be questioned much, if anything like that happens they get angry and you will always be on the losing end.
This emphasizes that being nice pays in the long run. In general, humans are impulsive, impatient & irrational.
I played nice to an overworked, underpaid & irritated BLS staff. Got my surrender cert in record time 10 days !

Remember, if you feel you were shorthanded or feeling of injustice. Don't yell. Smile & be calm. Changes your perspective & you understand why people behave the way they do. Give the benefit of doubt ..& everything will fall in place. Cheers

prvd2002

May 20, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
IELTS Request
14-08-2014
File Transfer...
05-02-2015
Med's Request
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
07-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-06-2015

Krishna1989

May 20, 2021
Hi Is there any one who could help me on what to do
BLS website - processing at Consulate General since 8th April
OCI website - no record found
Its for may marriage and I ve taken a 7 month work from home
So OCI is my only option
I have tried sampark , even tweeted , called BLS and I haven't got a response, tried to register for open house. No response again . Could anyone help me

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
I am not able to access the website https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/ for online application form for ‘Surrender of Indian passport Application.

Please advise if we can just download the form from https://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/downloadEFormStatic, print and take it with us to BLS office?
Try using https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html.

There is no form to download. You have to create an account and fill the form online, and then print it out. Take the printout to BLS with a photograph and the required documents - both originals and copies. They will retain the original Indian passport and return all other originals.

Edit:
Not sure why you cannot access the application portal, but try with a different browser or clear the cache and try again.

As far as the form goes, I am not sure how that works as I haven't seen any discussions on that on this thread. But t=it seems a reasonable thing for those that do not have access to the online form. You should be able to fill the PDF form and validate it and submit to BLS. Give them a call and ask. That would be the best option.

Last edited: