+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

indigonation5

Star Member
Dec 21, 2018
I checked on the BLS website. They don't have any appointments till May 31st and the calendar is closed after that. I called BLS to check how to get an appointment - the guy on the phone told me to use the pick up and drop off service. If I still wanted to come in person, I would have to pay $15 per person for an appointment and then use the drop off service. What a little scam these guys are running!

Does the Indian High Commission / Consulate know this is how BLS works or this robbery is with their sanction?
Scammers!!! So frustrating and makes me angry that they do this to fellow country people

indigonation5

Star Member
Dec 21, 2018
By now it should be clear to anybody who's on this thread, that BLS staff use different reasons to force us to pay for "optional" services. In my case (BLS Toronto), I was told CGI needs to verify my original canceled Indian passport. It was very clear to me this was the usual bullshit from BLS, and this was a transparent money grab. Idiotic to think CGI needs to see the same passport, that they saw just a few weeks back to issue surrender certificate.

Pretty clear to me that this separation of SC and OCI is to double the number of interactions we are forced to have with BLS, and double the number of opportunities to get people to pay for "optional" services.

There was also an implied threat from the lady at the counter that she would only accept 1 OCI application since I had only 1 appointment, and make me come back for remaining 3 OCI applications of family. Having been in these situations back home in India, I subtly indicated to her that I was open to upselling. She then instantly become super helpful. I paid for OCI courier, canceled Indian passport courier, $5 status update service, for 4 applications. Grease the right palm, get your work done. Works every time. Sad.
Agree with this 100%

For the OCI in-person application - the lady at the counter literally took the indian surrendered passport and directly put that in a brown envelope and stapled it in front of me.

Yesterday I got the EXACT SAME envelope with no changes to the stapling or anything different containing the original indian surrendered passport via PUROLATOR for which I was made to pay CAD 60+!

Which means, I was made to pay for a PUROLATOR courier for JUST the surrender passport to be sent back to me from BLS.

Such a waste of money and shitty way to cheat people. This is bonkers.

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
These people have lost all shame and dignity in life. All they can do is scam fellow Indians left, right and center. The sad reality of the start of affairs. The worse part is that if we criticize them openly, we stand the risk of having our OCI cancelled. I don't intend to go into politics because each one of us has a different belief (and I respect that), but we are expected to keep our mouth shut and put up with all the nonsense that these imbeciles throw at us. I bet the foreign minister knows all about the abysmal services offered by BLS and VFS worldwide. I have given up hope that anything will change with the Indian administration. We will all get through this. Stay strong fellow OCI applicants!
Agree with this 100%

For the OCI in-person application - the lady at the counter literally took the indian surrendered passport and directly put that in a brown envelope and stapled it in front of me.

Yesterday I got the EXACT SAME envelope with no changes to the stapling or anything different containing the original indian surrendered passport via PUROLATOR for which I was made to pay CAD 60+!

Which means, I was made to pay for a PUROLATOR courier for JUST the surrender passport to be sent back to me from BLS.

Try looking up on Purolator for an estimate from BLS to your place, you will realize how much more BLS charges on each such couriers… another thing, the rate that you see on the website is retail charges, BLS will have corporate account with Purolator where they will be charged $20 but they take $60 from you!!!

Last edited:

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
These people have lost all shame and dignity in life. All they can do is scam fellow Indians left, right and center. The sad reality of the start of affairs. The worse part is that if we criticize them openly, we stand the risk of having our OCI cancelled. I don't intend to go into politics because each one of us has a different belief (and I respect that), but we are expected to keep our mouth shut and put up with all the nonsense that these imbeciles throw at us. I bet the foreign minister knows all about the abysmal services offered by BLS and VFS worldwide. I have given up hope that anything will change with the Indian administration. We will all get through this. Stay strong fellow OCI applicants!
Nothing would change the thick skin attitude!! I had the travel to India urgently in FEB, few days after I took my oath. Reached out to BLS, Consulate, Consul General and also MEA!!! Nobody responded even once!!! I could not travel as there was no clarity about the process

• Wow
Reactions: canadamaple

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
Try looking up on Purolator for an estimate from BLS to your place, you will realize how much more BLS charges on each such couriers… another thing, the rate that you see on the website is retail charges, BLS will have corporate account with Purolator where they will be charges $20 but they take $60 from you!!!
I have a corporate account with UPS, and when I said to the BLS executive that UPS will deliver my package to you at 1/3rd the price you are charging me, her response was, We can take guarantee of Purolator since we are arranging it, can’t guarantee where your packet will be or when it will be opened if you send it directly.

These call center and front office executives have been armed with enough responses to scare the client. They know that if they scare you of the documents getting lost you will sign up for their scam, as getting a replacement of a lost passport is difficult than going to moon.

• Wow

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Nothing would change the thick skin attitude!! I had the travel to India urgently in FEB, few days after I took my oath. Reached out to BLS, Consulate, Consul General and also MEA!!! Nobody responded even once!!! I could not travel as there was no clarity about the process
So sorry to hear that. Hopefully after this OCI is with us, we would not need to bother with these idiots.

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
I have a corporate account with UPS, and when I said to the BLS executive that UPS will deliver my package to you at 1/3rd the price you are charging me, her response was, We can take guarantee of Purolator since we are arranging it, can’t guarantee where your packet will be or when it will be opened if you send it directly.

These call center and front office executives have been armed with enough responses to scare the client. They know that if they scare you of the documents getting lost you will sign up for their scam, as getting a replacement of a lost passport is difficult than going to moon.
I wish we could report them to the press. Name and shame could be a way to get these cons to get their act straight.

dushyant2809

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent
The most beautiful thing about OCI is, there will be no more harassments from BLS till the next renewal (mostly 10+ years)

• Haha

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
The most beautiful thing about OCI is, there will be no more harassments from BLS till the next renewal (mostly 10+ years)
Well from what I have learned, for renewals we simply need to upload a new photo on the OCI portal. So hopefully now more BLS after we successfully get our OCI cards :)

dushyant2809

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent
Well from what I have learned, for renewals we simply need to upload a new photo on the OCI portal. So hopefully now more BLS after we successfully get our OCI cards :)
Still have to get OCI re-issued after completing 50 years of age. so that will be one more visit. (but atleast not now)

May 9, 2022
I am an Ottawa applicant. Its been a month and I have not received my originals either. Today when I called I was told that 'verification' of originals takes about 1.5 months. Not sure what the hell they are doing (or shall I say not doing).
When I called BLS.. I was initially told that you didn't need to send Originals.. I was like dude.. its written in bold in the checklist on BLS website.
Made me very nervous about overall process.

I will keep on checking the OCI Status enquiry site for any changes.. I guess things are pretty quick after that.

May 9, 2022
Same here mine is processing in Consulate general since 8th April . I called them and they said to email the consulate. Which I did on friday and no reply . I'm v concern as same is needed for my marriage in July (and I plan to live for 6months )
I can imagine what you're going through. Hopefully we get the originals back soon. Do you know if they verify originals at BLS or at the CGI ?

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
Agree with this 100%

That's strange. Because for an OCI application, Surrendered Indian Passport is not even an ask. One can only show the copy of the surrender certificate. This is how I did at least, at BLS Surrey.

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
Wait!
Reading some comments which say, you need to provide two separate drafts, one for BLS's $7.40 and one for CGI for $345

BLS's website says: "Kindly Provide Demand Draft/Money order only in favor of BLS International Services Canada Inc., which includes CGI fee + consular fee + BLS Service charges + Return courier fees, to send back your processed application."

I already paid the return courier fee, and sending one draft for $352.40 addressed to BLS International. Can somebody confirm which is the right way?

Two demand drafts seem like a unreasonable ask. If I was to go for a walk-in, I would be paying those fee in one transaction anyways. So, why the need for two demand drafts?
Scroll down on the link under Application Fees and check for Postal Applications
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/ocihome.php