OCI process

Almostther

Star Member
Jan 17, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I submitted OCI at BLS Toronto for my child on 30th March.

Date of acknowledgement - 20 April
OCI status - Under Process

Now I think i should receive my child's birth certificate in a week or so. Does anyone know how much it took to receive the original after acknowledgement at consulate? Thanks

AKT

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
My OCI Application experience:

I filled all the forms online at the OCI-Services website.
I then uploaded the scanned photos and signatures after filling Part-A as prescribed on the website.
Then I filled Part-B and uploaded the following documents as required.
  • Current Passport: Canadian Passport
  • Indian Origin Proof: Indian passport with cancelled and surrendered stamp
  • Indian Visa: CoPR with stamp of landing
  • Marriage Certificate (for self and spouse as well as for our son)
Then I clicked on Final Submit to submit the applications

Physical documents I carried to day to BLS:

• The checklist
  • Printout of the online application form
  • Original Surrender Certificate (took original, but they asked for a copy and returned the original)
  • Indian Passport (Original and copy - Original was returned)
  • Citizenship certificate (Original and copy - Did not look at original at all)
  • Canadian passport (Original and copy - Did not look at original at all)
  • Draft for $345 (Individual drafts for each application)
  • Photo (Physical photo that was uploaded above)
I walked in to BLS 5 minutes before my time slot. The guard at the door asked if I had an appointment and for what service. I mentioned it was for OCI (though it was for visa) and she confirmed my name. She then let me in and gave me a token. There were 4 people before me in line.

When I reached the counter, I asked her if I could submit 3 applications and she said yes, I could. So I started submitting one by one.
I faced some minor issues as below:
  1. I had used a thumb impression for my son who will turn 18 later this year. She asked if I wanted to used his signature instead. I said that he would prefer that, so I uploaded his signature and reprinted the form.
  2. My form's barcode did not get printed at the bottom of the first page due to the A4/Letter conversion, so I had to reprint the form
  3. I had reprinted my wife's application but forgotten to get her to sign it. Since she hadn't come with us today, I was sure I would have to go back and get her to sign it - but the lady at the counter said that if my wife could print it at home and send me a scanned copy of the page, she would accept that. So that is what I did.
So not a bad experience at all - in fact I was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. Thank you, Priyanka at counter 2.

Documents that were returned.
  • The checklists
  • All CoPR copies
  • All Originals ibcluding surrender certificates
  • The pages with instructions
  • Our Marriage certificate from our son's application.
Notes on returned documents: This was my experience so please carry all the documents and let them return them to you rather than not carrying them. Also all documents that were stapled together were unstapled when accepting them - so don't worry about stapling documents together.

She also confirmed that it would take 2 months to process the OCI and that it would be sent to my home. I could have contested the courier charge but since I am happier with it being couriered, I did not protest.

She also asked me if I wanted tracking on my application for an additional $5 which I refused.

Now it's just wait and watch. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. Thanks to all who have provided invaluable help on this forum at all stages of the process - from PR application --> citizenship --> Passports --> Surrender/OCI.
hey....can you update when was your application started showing in OCI website?

kdham

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
How long does it take for OCI Application to show up in OCI website for status tracking in Toronto? and overall time to get OCI delivered?
Submitted my kids application in Brampton office on March 9th, it showed up on OCI website on April 1st. And currently showing under process.

Reactions: AKT

GG_23

Aug 24, 2015
This is so frustrating - my husband's and my surrender application was submitted together and on March 29 status changed to granted and available for issuance and while my husband's status once again changed to printed and most likely will be delivered by purolator today my status still shows the same from March 29 and no matter the number of times i have raised a query on sampark they say same thing granted and will come. So so frustrating. Any one in same boat where one got surrender earlier and the other took forever?

Almostther

Star Member
Jan 17, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Submitted my kids application in Brampton office on March 9th, it showed up on OCI website on April 1st. And currently showing under process.
So, it takes about 3 weeks to show up in OCI website.. Please update when the next update is..

jj_ind

Star Member
Jul 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2014
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
20-05-2015
Interview........
TLU: 10-06-2015
Passport Req..
PPR: 17-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued: 03-12-2015
LANDED..........
Landing expected: April 2016
This is so frustrating - my husband's and my surrender application was submitted together and on March 29 status changed to granted and available for issuance and while my husband's status once again changed to printed and most likely will be delivered by purolator today my status still shows the same from March 29 and no matter the number of times i have raised a query on sampark they say same thing granted and will come. So so frustrating. Any one in same boat where one got surrender earlier and the other took forever?
Mine was delivered a week after my wife received her surrender certificate. We submitted it together

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
did BLS status show coming back from CGI to BLs or something like that?

GG_23

Aug 24, 2015
did BLS status show coming back from CGI to BLs or something like that?
For my husband BLS status showed as 'Ready for dispatch' then 'Dispatched via courier' after the initial update 'Processing at Consulate'. For me it still shows 'Processing at Consulate'. ON the consulate site for my husband it showed 'Printed' while mine shows 'Certificate granted and available for issuance' forever

Reactions: delray55

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
For my husband BLS status showed as 'Ready for dispatch' then 'Dispatched via courier' after the initial update 'Processing at Consulate'. For me it still shows 'Processing at Consulate'. ON the consulate site for my husband it showed 'Printed' while mine shows 'Certificate granted and available for issuance' forever
I thought somebody mentioned that printing and signature happens typically on Wednesdays at least at the Toronto office. If its not changing today i guess you would have to wait for one more week. i know a person who got it in one week when he applied with entry visa. Not sure why so much deviations in processing

shshivam

Star Member
Aug 24, 2015
OCI application picked up by Purolator: March 17th
Delivered to BLS Brampton: March 18th
Application Date on BLS website: March 29th

No updates since. Originals have not been returned. Application doesn't show up on OCI website. Is this normal in any way?

GG_23

Aug 24, 2015
I thought somebody mentioned that printing and signature happens typically on Wednesdays at least at the Toronto office. If its not changing today i guess you would have to wait for one more week. i know a person who got it in one week when he applied with entry visa. Not sure why so much deviations in processing
I am not sure if that is entirely accurate. For my husband the status on the consulate site updated to 'Printed' this monday on 18th April and he received his surrender and passort 30 mins back. I had checked every single day of last week till friday April 15th and for him too the status was still the same as 'Certificate granted and available for issuance'. So if the surrender was signed on last wednesday which was April 13th then the status should have changed on thursday or friday. but instead chnaged this monday 18th

Reactions: delray55

uvsrsk

Star Member
Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
Hi, I am still waiting for my canadian passport. Its yet to be printed. Can I still go ahead and submit application for indian passport surrender and oci grant ?