+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

hashjax31

Jun 23, 2021
one way to retaliate is to follow them on Twitter. Off late they are giving themselves a lot of pat on my own back tweets.
In each of the tweets, reply with the change. org petition link or google reviews link. And start tagging MEA and CGI in all your replies. They will get the answer sooner
I had a very similar experience as well with postal application. So mad and frustrated, as I am down 250$ in postal fees (still have to pay more as the last one got returned back), have to now apply for visa application too, and their rule for demand draft cost 10$ per draft (just adopt an online system!). Plus I feel that they are sitting there to just find any one reason to send you back your file as they its the poor people that have to pay the overpriced services.
Firstly I applied postal for OCI as they told me that is the best option, given I have plenty of time until my flights to get it back - started with 12 weeks of time, and online for Toronto it says 4-5 weeks of processing time. Then they returned back the application for a really simple reason, where I said I can send you that information right away by email, instead of them sending back my as it was not clear from the instructions. I spent 85$ twice on OCI. Then when I followed up, they said just apply for visa too as you don't have enough time. This time I went step by step with the person just to make sure I do not make a mistake to cost me hefty as before. Since I was applying for my daughter, I was not sure if she was eligible for Entry visa, so I applied for tourist visa as before. I told the person online I cannot see a 6 month fees for tourist visa, but he was insistent that you have everything, dont worry just send in your application with all the exact same docs as the OCI except the Minor consent form. I sent it back keeping my fingers crossed, and then again it got sent back!!! how and why. Why will someone give me the wrong information, so unbelievable. Finally when I called them to not send back the application, for just few $ less in the demand draft, I can pay it over the phone, or pay for my postal package. I asked them to review my conversation and then find a solution for me as this time it was definitely not my fault. The lady comes back and says, oh you don't have enough time for postal application, please apply in person! it shows online only 7 working days for Canadian passport holder for Entry visa, but she said its all wrong, it will take a long time. I was so frustrated that I hung up as these people are pathetic. so so so inconsiderate. I also left a google review on them, but would absolutely sign a petition so that other people are not wasting their hard earned money. They really need to give this to a Canadian organization.

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had a very similar experience as well with postal application. So mad and frustrated, as I am down 250$ in postal fees (still have to pay more as the last one got returned back), have to now apply for visa application too, and their rule for demand draft cost 10$ per draft (just adopt an online system!). Plus I feel that they are sitting there to just find any one reason to send you back your file as they its the poor people that have to pay the overpriced services.
Firstly I applied postal for OCI as they told me that is the best option, given I have plenty of time until my flights to get it back - started with 12 weeks of time, and online for Toronto it says 4-5 weeks of processing time. Then they returned back the application for a really simple reason, where I said I can send you that information right away by email, instead of them sending back my as it was not clear from the instructions. I spent 85$ twice on OCI. Then when I followed up, they said just apply for visa too as you don't have enough time. This time I went step by step with the person just to make sure I do not make a mistake to cost me hefty as before. Since I was applying for my daughter, I was not sure if she was eligible for Entry visa, so I applied for tourist visa as before. I told the person online I cannot see a 6 month fees for tourist visa, but he was insistent that you have everything, dont worry just send in your application with all the exact same docs as the OCI except the Minor consent form. I sent it back keeping my fingers crossed, and then again it got sent back!!! how and why. Why will someone give me the wrong information, so unbelievable. Finally when I called them to not send back the application, for just few $ less in the demand draft, I can pay it over the phone, or pay for my postal package. I asked them to review my conversation and then find a solution for me as this time it was definitely not my fault. The lady comes back and says, oh you don't have enough time for postal application, please apply in person! it shows online only 7 working days for Canadian passport holder for Entry visa, but she said its all wrong, it will take a long time. I was so frustrated that I hung up as these people are pathetic. so so so inconsiderate. I also left a google review on them, but would absolutely sign a petition so that other people are not wasting their hard earned money. They really need to give this to a Canadian organization.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Try to submit documents in-person, use any available appointment type. People cancel appointments so keep checking.

Throw photocopies of every possible document in every application set (Copr, First and last page of Indian PP, Citizen certificate, CDN PP, Driving license, Marriage Certificate, COPR of spouse, First and last page of of spouse Indian PP). In child's application set, also add Birth certificate, No objection certificate and all documents of both parents as well. Let them return the photocopies they don't need. Attest (date, sign, This is true copy of original) each and every photocopy. No originals are verified in-person. During application submission at counter, explicitly tell them that you don't need any of their optional service.

For uploading OCI documents, see BLS Brampton OCI document upload .

Surrender & OCI cannot be submitted together (atleast in GTA). Surrender & Visa application can be submitted together. Entry visa comes fast, tourist visa takes several weeks.

All the Best.

Last edited:

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
This is the reason I advise people to do in person, almost everyone I have seen has been sent the postal app back for silly reasons. Even in person they try this same trick however u have option of correcting it same day.
Use the wednesday Toronto consulate meeting and apply directly with them for entry visa , as for OCI am afraid u still have to go through BLS

Torontosingh

Apr 28, 2021
My Timeline
SURRENDER CERTIFICATE
Appointment Jan 4, 2022 (Submitted)
SC - recieved Feb 4, 2022
Made appointment for SC on Dec 17,2021 in Category of Visa because all other categories slots were booked.

OCI
Made appointment for OCI on Feb 1, in visa category for Feb 25
Went on Feb 25 for submitting OCI application but my application was not accepted as I missed uploading all required docs online, 3 docs were missing.I was carrying my 2 photos but they said not as per specification.
I requested for another appointment and person on desk gave me March 4th hand written on slip. They also showed me document that says which all documents required to be uploaded.
March 4 ,OCI application submitted and person on desk accepted the same photo of mine that was rejected on Feb 25.
Kept Checking status. Status changed April 14 -passport ready for despatch after OCI stamping
OCI recieved April 18 via Purolator.

Reactions: delray55

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
This is the reason I advise people to do in person, almost everyone I have seen has been sent the postal app back for silly reasons. Even in person they try this same trick however u have option of correcting it same day.
Use the wednesday Toronto consulate meeting and apply directly with them for entry visa , as for OCI am afraid u still have to go through BLS
Sorry to hear your experience.
I had to fight tooth and nail to get my fraudulently charged courier fees refunded. Had to mail a lot of people, let a lot of reviews in many places.
It is human nature that people usually post reviews when things don't go well or the agency is troubling them.
To offset them I think BLS is now flooding with fake positive reviews to average the overall rating.
We need to find a way to beat the system somehow.

Is it possible that if BLS sends the file to CGI, it may get returned by CGI ?
My application reached BLS on 19 March, acknowledged on 25 March. As of now "Processing as CGI" No update on OCI website.
I need to travel in June. Now I am getting worried :(

sting_hard

Jun 24, 2021
Sorry to hear your experience.
I had to fight tooth and nail to get my fraudulently charged courier fees refunded. Had to mail a lot of people, let a lot of reviews in many places.
It is human nature that people usually post reviews when things don't go well or the agency is troubling them.
To offset them I think BLS is now flooding with fake positive reviews to average the overall rating.
We need to find a way to beat the system somehow.

Is it possible that if BLS sends the file to CGI, it may get returned by CGI ?
My application reached BLS on 19 March, acknowledged on 25 March. As of now "Processing as CGI" No update on OCI website.
I need to travel in June. Now I am getting worried :(
whos did you email to get your refund, BLS charged me some additional charges that i need to get refund.
i already email ccsupport@blsinternational.net

Dig-amber

Apr 19, 2022
My Timeline
SURRENDER CERTIFICATE
Appointment Jan 4, 2022 (Submitted)
SC - recieved Feb 4, 2022
Made appointment for SC on Dec 17,2021 in Category of Visa because all other categories slots were booked.

OCI
Made appointment for OCI on Feb 1, in visa category for Feb 25
Went on Feb 25 for submitting OCI application but my application was not accepted as I missed uploading all required docs online, 3 docs were missing.I was carrying my 2 photos but they said not as per specification.
I requested for another appointment and person on desk gave me March 4th hand written on slip. They also showed me document that says which all documents required to be uploaded.
March 4 ,OCI application submitted and person on desk accepted the same photo of mine that was rejected on Feb 25.
Kept Checking status. Status changed April 14 -passport ready for despatch after OCI stamping
OCI recieved April 18 via Purolator.
Hi Did you mean you made appointment for OCI under "visa category" ? Can we do that ?

Dig-amber

Apr 19, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I will be applying for OCI in a week or so. I called BLS and I asked them if walk-ins are allowed for OCI. They said: NO. They said you can post your documents by courier and no need to send originals.

I read in this forum somewhere that you can go walk-in for OCI. is it still the case? Also, for sending postal application, Do i just send self attested photocopies ?

Thank you
Digamber

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
  • Wow
Reactions: funloving

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Hi Everyone,

I will be applying for OCI in a week or so. I called BLS and I asked them if walk-ins are allowed for OCI. They said: NO. They said you can post your documents by courier and no need to send originals.

I read in this forum somewhere that you can go walk-in for OCI. is it still the case? Also, for sending postal application, Do i just send self attested photocopies ?

Thank you
Digamber
The checklist is available on the BLS website. Please pick one that corresponds to your jurisdiction. Ironically, the checklist for Ottawa applicants is a bit different than that of Toronto and Vancouver.

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Fellow Ottawa postal applicants, how long did it take for you to receive any notification from BLS? I sent my documents (original + application) last week. The package was delivered on Wednesday morning. I don't expect to hear from HCI so soon, but I was wondering if BLS would send some notice stating that they received the application. Do you have any thoughts? Cheers!

Dig-amber

Apr 19, 2022
The checklist is available on the BLS website. Please pick one that corresponds to your jurisdiction. Ironically, the checklist for Ottawa applicants is a bit different than that of Toronto and Vancouver.
Thank you. I will check the checklist again.
How about walk-ins for OCI ?

bluecrabs

Sep 10, 2013
Walked in at Vancouver BLS at 8am for surrender, requested pick up and got it in 7 days.
I set an alarm at 2pm & 7pm Pacific daily to get an appointment,just got one (under visa category as i had toggling between OCI & visa to trigger a refresh of appt slots).
On the day of the appt, the security guard asked to show my appt email, i did (on my phone) and he asked "only one application right?", I said yes and proceeded to collect my token and wait in the waiting room. I actually had 3 OCI applications

At the time of the appt, the BLS agent started working on my first OCI application when I mentioned I have another 2, the agent was pretty upset about it and pushed back saying I need to take one appointment for each app, I mentioned the difficultly in getting the appts and pleaded to complete all 3, all my paperwork was in order and took about 5 mins to complete, I requested again saying that it took 5 mins to complete one app, the appt is for 15 mins, the agent pushed back saying, there are 2 appts in each 15 min window (not sure if this is true), at most they can do 2 applications in one slot (if all paperwork is in order) and I have to take a walkin token and wait for the rest.
I said okay and requested the 2 applications to be processed and I will take the walkin token for the 3rd one.

I went to the security guard for the walkin token for OCI and he outright refused "no walkin for OCI, only with appointment or postal"
I insisted that the agent asked me to get a token for OCI, so he asked the agent and reluctantly gave me a token.

I waited for 2 hours and got my turn, completed my application and thanked the agent.

Its been such a long time since I litterally begged a "babu" to get my work done.
I guess it all boils down to the power imbalance that inefficient systems bestow on these agents. Such a rent seeking behaviour.

Anyways, I will end my rant and list out key points that might help others

• The only originals that were asked are the passports (Canadian and the cancelled Indian one)
  • I had trouble getting the photo/signature uploaded, followed this
    and used the preview app on mac to get it sorted
  • The city of birth in the application form is just the city, did not include the state or "IND"
  • I just attested every photocopy of every document, did not write "I certify... " or date them.
  • I included marriage cert, birth certificate (for kid) and copies of both IDs for address proof (for kid), attested by both parents for kid's application.

Reactions: vvarma and Hot2Cold