+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

prt22

Star Member
Nov 7, 2017
Thats where I uploaded mine. At BLS Toronto, they were asking people to upload their COPR in the Indian Visa category. They are interested in determining your PR category (CEC, Provinincial nominee etc). Your COPR has that detail.
Wow i wonder if they use he PR category for statistics purpose?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
No response on Sampark query yet, its already been 6 weeks since the application was received at CGI. Status stuck in - Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance.Close

On another note I have signed the petition to remove BLS, more than 5k people have signed already. How they can win any award on this planet is beyond me.
Sorry to hear that you have had no response on Sampark as yet. Unfortunately the only option is to wait.

Great that the remove BLS petition is gathering traction. Hopefully that will drive them to improve services or lose their quite lucrative contract.

prt22

Star Member
Nov 7, 2017
What to do with Indian voter card, though? How do you surrender that??
You don't have to surrender something that is not valid any longer once Surrender is issued. When a surrender is issued it means you are no longer a Citizen of India. You lost the voting rights and the card is invalid by default.

I was searching past 2 years to see anything about he Aadhar. The information doesn't exist. All the info you can see will be related" can a foreign citizen or OCI or NRI can get Aadhar" and the Answer is YES and there are some guidelines not updated by the team that handles it. It was 182 days to be in India prior to the application but you can get it now straight after Landing too(excluding the processing time, you must have an Indian Address proof). I still wonder why they are searching to apply Aadhar when you already have Aadhar, i mean most of us who left Country unless the kids were born here in Canada, rest of us usually have the Aadhar including the children unless someone never applied for it.

i sent numerous emails to UDAI and never got a reply, i don't think they even check the email. As far as i am searching you will find you can get Aadhar after getting OCI/PIO status, but nothing about what happens to the Aadhar if someone attains the OCI/PIO status if they already have Aadhar. Even Quora don't have answer for it.

coming to the voter card again, it becomes invalid for sure, so no point of surrendering it. I never utilized it for neither voting nor identity purpose.
aadhar is something very new in grand scheme of things. there is no way to suspend or expire aadhar as of now
in future when the govt connects all passports to aadhar this might be possible. but again aadhar is not related to citizenship
its related to residency. any person living in india for 6 months can get aadhar card
From the little research I have done, no need to surrender anything. Alex is correct, voter card is no longer valid as you are no longer a citizen of India. Trying to use it would be illegal. You can probably shred it to avoid any misuse. You can continue using PAN card if u need to file taxes in India. You can continue using Aadhar card too as its not a proof of citizenship but rather just a proof of residency and a national identity card. No need to update anything.

I still need to figure out about driving license. Technically, u r supposed to have only one active DL anywhere in world but I do keep my Indian one as I received it on basis of my Canadian one anyways and its much easier to drive in India with an Indian DL. My guess is that there would be no update/changes required in DL either.

Reactions: vvarma

indigonation5

Star Member
Dec 21, 2018
Has anyone recently done manual pickup from BLS Toronto (Lawrence Ave)?

Do you remember the timings (3-5pm?) and what documents you had to show for pickup? No appointment needed, right?

Also, the BLS India Call Centre said I could get a refund for manual pickup since I have already prepaid (forced) for courier delivery. Does this sound true?
Hi @HarjeetToronto - found the info for you :)

in their contact us page - they have mentioned collection time as between 3pm and 4:30pm

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/contact.php

Please could you help to elaborate a bit on how you got them to change your collection option to pickup? Was this for OCI? If possible, could you also share what circumstances led you to do this would also be super useful. Thank you.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
cool! so that means u never have to renew OCI? Just need to submit a copy of new passport and photo once u turn 50?
That is correct!

• To avail Miscellaneous Service, you must be an existing OCI Card Holder
  • In case the existing OCI card holder wishes to update/upload the latest information about his latest passport, Change in address/Occupation/Contact details, the OCI card holder can select the option/(s) as given below and upload the latest photograph and requisite documents. These details shall be updated into the OCI system records and an acknowledgement shall be shared with OCI card holder on his/her registered email ID. The services under these categories are gratis in nature:
    1. In case issuance of new Passport Details (each time a new passport is issued up to 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age)
    2. In case change in address/occupation/contact details.
  • These Misc services can be availed for re-issuance of OCI Card as well as updating the information time to time as mentioned in the MHA notification dated 16th April, 2021. The re-issuance of new OCI card will be applicable for following categories:
    1. In case of issuance of new passport (once a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age.)
    2. In case of change of personal particulars viz. name, father's name, nationality etc.
    3. In case of loss/damage of OCI registration certificate.

Last edited:

vivek.89

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
It says "Processing at Consulate General". I haven't even received my originals back from them that I sent with the application.
Ok got it. Ideally, there is no need to send the originals for postal application. I hope you get them back at the earliest.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Assuming u r already 20+, you don't need to renew the OCI booklet until u turn 50 :)
I will have to get it renewed after 20 year then. My OCI says validity as life long, what does that mean then if I have to renew it at 50?

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
I will have to get it renewed after 20 year then. My OCI says validity as life long, what does that mean then if I have to renew it at 50?
Its a just a change of card to keep updated of the facial changes i suppose
also there is no point in bothering about these now. the rules keep changing so fast now days and 20 yrs is long time. may be OCI is in another name at that time
enjoy your oci

Reactions: funloving

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
You do NOT need to renew the OCI card when you turn 50. Please refer to my earlier post from today.

Last edited:

AKT

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Guys,

Help needed. I am filling out OCI form for my wife. Her last name changed after marriage. There's a check box in the form asking if she has ever changed her name. Is surname change after marriage considered name change?