+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

AKT

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Hello, I have applied for surrender certificate(via postal) in 1st week of February and status is showing as "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." from 22nd February. Its been a month and status is not changing in both BLS(Processing at consulate) and Consulate website.

Anyone in same boat? Please suggest if its normal?
yes I am on the same status from last two weeks. Applied Mar 3rd.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Hi Friends,
After receiving "Certificate of Canadian Citizenship" in canada can i travel to India on an Indian passport (within 3 months grace period) and apply for a Canada passport , Surrender Indian passport , apply for a new OCI card from INDIA ? Please advise as i have to move to india for a year due to a family emergency.
It will be an immigration nightmare at the airport. Check here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-9845599

Rana Singh

Feb 17, 2022
Hello Guys,

On MEA site my OCI status says received at Toronto on March 22. Does it mean that it is ready to be picked up ? On BLS it still says Processing at Consulate General .

Can anyone advise what is the next step ?

Thank you.
Mine says counter delivery after oci stamp on bls website but it’s under Vancouver jurisdiction surrey bls . Need cgi stamp after receiving. Receive document in Vancouver 26 on record but it was 25 here I guess indian time on oci government website.Today on 29 changed on bls website it was under process until yesterday.

APNE

Star Member
Jun 14, 2014
Hello my file is ready for oci but when I check for appointment in Edmonton date available only end of may anybody visit recently in Edmonton bls centre , are they accept walking applicant or I have to wait till end of May thanks

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Hello my file is ready for oci but when I check for appointment in Edmonton date available only end of may anybody visit recently in Edmonton bls centre , are they accept walking applicant or I have to wait till end of May thanks
For OCI no walkins are accepted under Vancouver Jurisdiction.

Swathi1990

Mar 21, 2022
Update in the OCI gov website, Document Processed, Dispatched from MEA, Document received at Toronto, all dated 30 March 2022
Hey thanks for the message. Just checked mine. Shows documents printing status- processed - 30 March 2022. Waiting on other status. Hoping to receive by this week.

Last edited:

Swathi1990

Mar 21, 2022
My OCI has the following timeline:
Date of ackn: 25 FEB 2022
Processed/Dispatched from MEA/Received in Toronto: 24 MAR 2022
Yours will likely change by early next week.
Hey your guess is right.... Got an update today. Documents printing status dated 30march 2022. It took exactly 4 weeks from acknowledgement date.

Reactions: sumg

Wollongong

Mar 14, 2022
Surrender Certificate Application StatusPassport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.

Any idea how long it takes to dispatch the surrender certificate?
Can we apply OCI without surrender certificate ?

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Submitted my passport surrender today at BLS Vancouver by walkin:

1) Reached at 7.50 am. Just one person ahead of me.
2) They opened at 8. Said that they accept walkins only for Passport surrender and strictly need appointments for OCI or Visa. I was given the option of submitting both Surrender + OCI together on 6th April (my upcoming appointment date).
3) I decided to take the token for Surrender and waited in their waiting hall. They first called those having an appointment.
4) I was called after 1 hour wait. Just one staff at BLS. She processed my Surrender quickly. All my documents were in order. Did not even check any of the originals. Also did not need my previous cancelled passport copies.
5) Was then offered for some SMS service (?!) - I immediately declined.
6) I requested for picking up in-person. She started with the usual commentary of Covid policy/etc; I interrupted and firmly put across that Purolator does not service my entire building due to a lack of buzzer. Shared my past terrible experience during PCC application. Also gave her a printed letter addressed to BLS stating my reason for in-person pickup. She read the letter fully and returned it back without uttering a word. I was told I will have to track everything myself online and come for pickup.
7) Can pay by Cash or Debit. I paid by Debit card (one payment of $130.10)
8) Got my OCI Application checked from her before leaving. All is in order. (still I won't be using their dreaded Purolator service)
9) The guard asked me to come back after 2 hours to check if he could accommodate me for OCI. No luck. He asked me to come back again after an hour. Again no luck since their waiting room was full and only 1 officer was on duty due to Holi, which was quite understandable. Still, I am very disappointed.

Documents submitted for Surrender (VANCOUVER JURISDICTION ONLY):

- Checklist
- Application form
- 1 Photo
- Indian Passport (Original)
- Indian Passport copy (First + Last pages + Observation + All pages having Visas)
- DL copy
- Canadian Passport copy
- Canadian Certificate copy
- Canadian COPR copy

All docs were self attested with just my signatures. Checklist was returned back.
UPDATE: Collected my SC from BLS Vancouver at 4.30 PM. I was in and out within 2 minutes. Total 10 days from walkin.
Also checked with the officer for "actual time" for OCI @ Vancouver = 2 months!

Full SC timeline below:

19 March- Submitted surrender @ Vancouver BLS via walkin
19 March - BLS Status: Surrender Application sent to CGI
20 March - Passport Portal Status: Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
24 March - BLS Status: Processing at Consulate General
24 March - Passport Portal Status: Surrender certificate has been printed
25 March - BLS Status: In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre
28 March- BLS Status: Ready for Collection
29 March - Collected SC + cancelled Passport.

Want2Move2CA

Jun 29, 2015
Hello Friends,I have couple of questions
1) My Surrender certificate status says "Printed" From Past week and half, how long does it take for it to deliver?
2) I am planning my trip to india on May 13th 2022 (Non delay-able trip),If I apply for OCI is there any chance I get it before that? If yes has anyone gone through BLS Toronto (Not asking about brampton) walk-in recently? How was the experience and what should we consider?
3) Can I apply OCI and Visitor Visa at the same time? Can I apply Visitor visa (Entry visa) without surrender certificate?
Hello, I am in a similar situation as you. I am also planning a trip around May 10 and still waiting for surrender certificate. I am planning for Entry Visa. Please let me know what you find out about applying for visa without surrender certificate.